A storage problem may lead me to a free standing shop...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

A storage problem may lead me to a free standing shop...

I have mentioned it in the past here, but the issue is actually becoming more pressing.

As many of you know, my disabled brother in law is living with us, and his ex still has his stuff in the house she got during their divorce...

I simply have nowhere to put it. Which brought an offer from family to help foot the bill of putting in a shed to provide for storage. This leaves me with some options.

#1. They are willing to foot the bill for a 10x12 Tuff Shed, which runs just a hair under the cost of a local builders 12x16 13' roof Gambrel roof barn. Assuming a C&R variance granted by the HOA, I can foot the difference in the bill, use the extra capacity I had built into my main panel, and run power, insulate, and move my shop out there, moving storage shelving back into the garage / current shop.

#2. Leave the current shop as is, and have the 10x12 built, no HOA hassles, and move all of his stuff, as well as our Lawn & garden junk to the shed.

The advantage of option #1, is no intrusion threats to my shop, but the HOA can be tricky, and I would have to come up with the extra funds to pull power, add insulation, and put up OSB walls / ceiling. I would also foot the bill for options like windows, and a ridge vent.

The advnatage of option #2 is all costs are handled, no HOA / City hassles, I get more shop space in the end, and there is no moving my tools from shop to shop. The disadvantage is I can already see my wife wanting to park a car in there, so I would have to make sure all my big stuff is more mobile that it is now, and add a garage door opener which would take up the space the hanging air filter lives in now. (Just need to move that..).

I am honestly not sure what route to take. I am leaning toward Option #2 mostly for laziness sake, not to mention the more space thing, but dedicated space is really worth looking into.

Well for now, it might be a moot point. I have presented the request for variance to the HOA people. They may make the choice for me!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Is a pay storage room out of the question? If it other peoples stuff that they will use later when their lives gets back together, they have the key and pick it up and go. Nothing for you to mow around and paint. The cost of purchasing a shed would pay for it several years and if they fiddle around and loose it we will see their stuff on tv when Brandy and Jerrod buy it!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

The original plan was similar to option #2, except I was going to self fund, and not store someone else's stuff... I want the lawn and garden stuff, which does need to stay at the house, out of my shop...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I would go for option1.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Dave - let me see if I understand this correctly:

(1) You get a dedicated SHOP - and - free up future garage space for the Mrs. to park her car...

Oh, wait - I can't get past (1) I don't see a down side here if you can work it. I think I'd plumb the depths here before settling on (2).
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd definitely aim for option 1. The HOA may force you to option 2 anyway....if not, life is good!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I am discussing a somewhat similar situation with my wife now. I lost my shop with a move to a new house. We talked to a contractor Tuesday who suggested a 2 car garage addition (in addition to the existing 2 car) but that means removing (or moving) a 12x12 garden shed. The two options under consideration are:

1) Add a 14x24 1 car garage and keep the 12x12 garden shed
              2) Add a 20x24, possibly 22x24 2 car and loose the shed

I prefer option 1. The issue is that if we don't have the shed all that stuff moves to the shop garage. She doesn't want wood dust on her garden equipment. It isn't realistic to think it won't get dust on it if it is in the shop. We don't agree yet but if I can get the contractor to draw it up my way and she thinks the appearance is OK, I think she will agree.

I've had shared space and dedicated space before. Dedicated space has a lot of advantages. My vast experience with 2 wives now indicates they never like the looks of my shop. Keeping them out of it is my best solution. I am also worried that I will loose my shop, again, to the creep of her stuff (it already has the existing 2 car nearly overflowing).

Comment

Working...