• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Finally I'm seeing the scale moving in the right direction... but I'm only down about a pound and a half from the start. Still, it's good to see the move in the right direction.

Problem with me is that the first forty years of my life I was thin, and in the first thirty years, I was down-right bone-showing skinny. I could eat what I wanted and never had any concern with it at all... though maybe I should have.

In any case, with the advent of the computer I found myself quite sendentary, which is not something that I ever was. But, excuses are just that, excuses! So today I'm Type 2 diabetic, but it is well controlled with just a pills and watching what I eat. But that poses some challenges as I don't eat very much at any sitting, but I find I have to snack in between meals just to keep my sugar from dropping... which on really busy days it has a tendency to do, like down below 60. (I've learned that I have a lot more concern for hypo-glycemia, than I do from too high levels... as I've never been over 200.)

The snacking is more difficult to control for me, I think as I'm a person who has a headache almost every hour of every day. So physically, I get the feeling that maybe I need to eat something... or should I. I have having to walk around with the glucose monitor every hour.

I do a lot of label reading, as sometimes those so-called "healthy" foods have far more sugar and other carbs then I need to partake of.

But at least I'm now in the right direction with the scale... can I keep this up? We'll see, but obviously I'm going to be way in the back of the pack of runners. Some of you folks are showing remarkable effort, and I hope you keep up the great work.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Woodboy
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2004
      • Lakewood, Colorado.
      • BT3100

Grand idea gentlemen.

Woodboy is in - time to stop the slide. I am a tad over 6 feet and weighed around 224 last time I checked - would love to be 200 or below for life (that's my goal). The waist size has to start with a 3 and preferable be 38 or below. Otherwise call me muffin top.

Agree with Woodturner's general comments, but I will go with the flow. % weight loss seems to be the best benchmark, but let's all post stats in a common database - weight, key dimensions, etc.
      "Life is tough, where a cup"
      Dennis Miller

Comment

• Woodboy
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2004
        • Lakewood, Colorado.
        • BT3100

Am I too late to join? If not please direct me to the Google doc., or required procedure to get entered.
        "Life is tough, where a cup"
        Dennis Miller

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Woodboy
          Am I too late to join? If not please direct me to the Google doc., or required procedure to get entered.
          It was decided early on the cutoff was Feb 28, so you're in. Woodturner is the keeper of the log and I'm sure he'll send you a PM soon with the link to the Google doc.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

The numbers aren't moving much, a victory, albeit a small one to report. Actually 2...

The first is, clothes are getting looser. Specifically I can no longer wear a particular pair of swim shorts as they will now fall off... So those get retired... I am also noticing some better definition under the excess...

The second is a numeric victory, albeit a small one. Anyone who is doing / has done Weight Watchers will know this one.. My Daily Points Plus target got bumped down this week! it's a small victory to be sure, but I'll take it!
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

I'm in

I have been working for 2 years to lose weight. I've gone from a 46 pants to hovering just over 38, 280 to 242 lbs. I've hit a plateau, though part of it is that i'm exercising on a regular basis and building muscle. The weight is not moving much but the pants are looser. I'll take it.

I'm type 2 diabetic and need to get my glucose levels down more. My A1C has gone from 9.2 to 7.2. It needs to get below 6. I went to the docs today for the vampire to draw some blood for my checkup next week. I've been fairly ruthless about the carbs so it will be interesting to see where the numbers end up.

Good luck everyone.
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Hey Rick join in! Sorry to read of your health issues. Being diagnosed type 2 myself and then having it get worse after some weight gain is what got me on the road I'm on now. I'm down over 50 pounds but like you have plateaued. Hence the using MyFitnessPal cal tracking software/app now.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Apparently I enjoyed my conference over the weekend a little too much. Three pounds should be 10,500 calories, and I don't see how I could have eaten an extra 10,500 calories in two days.

Hopefully it is just a fluctuation and I can get back on-track by next week.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Woohoo midweek bliss! Down to 237.4 this morning.

©

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I really haven't gotten started yet. A couple of weeks ago I got some sort of infection in my lungs that I'm still recovering from, so in general I just felt lousy and really couldn't excercise. Dieting without exercise is a little beyond my discipline level at this point....hopefully better weather, and better health will prompt me to commit shortly.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Originally posted by woodturner
                        Apparently I enjoyed my conference over the weekend a little too much. Three pounds should be 10,500 calories, and I don't see how I could have eaten an extra 10,500 calories in two days.

Hopefully it is just a fluctuation and I can get back on-track by next week.
                        Possibly increase in salt intake? That will have you retain some extra water in the short term - and 3 lbs of water isn't much.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                          Possibly increase in salt intake? That will have you retain some extra water in the short term - and 3 lbs of water isn't much.
                          Hadn't thought about that, makes sense. Commercial food typically has more salt than we use at home, and my bp was elevated, too. When I weighed myself this morning, I am back in the expected range, which further suggests this cause. Thanks!
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

I think Bill is onto something with the salt. My weight went up last weekend then right back down by Wednesday after eating homemade pizza last Friday and Saturday. Pepperoni and anchovy, not exactly low in salt or calories. However a pound is roughly equal to 3500 Calories and I neither starved nor exercised that much. Water retention due to more salt is very believable.

©

Comment

• Rslaugh
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                              • Ridgid

I went to the vampire on Monday so they could draw blood for my quarterly visit with the doc next week. The results were posted in the patient portal by wednesday night. My A1C (90 day average of blood glucose) was down from 7.2 to 6.5. Below 6 is where they want it. It was around 9 a few years ago so i'm feeling ok with that. My weight is the same which i also actually feel good about. After seeing my numbers on Wednesday i was less than good the rest of the week.

My cholesterol was also down but not enough to get Doctor Mindy off my back. My hdl is fine but my ldl (supposedly bad cholesterol) isn't down enough. The fact is, and the doc agrees, ldl is a calculated number (unless you pay for some expensive tests your insurance probably doesnt cover) and it is notoriously wrong in diabetics. Additionally extensive testing shows that people on a low carb, high fat diet predominately make large particle ldl which is actually good. Small particle ldl attracts free radicals which is what makes it bad for you. She agrees with all this stuff and then says "but i have to go by the guidelines."

She really wants me to take a statin drug for the cholesterol and I have and will continue to steadfastly refuse. I think this is a choice everyone needs to make for themselves - obviously. The things that i've read show that these are way over prescribed and are probably more dangerous than we realize. The kicker is that statistically there is absolutely no difference in the mortality rate between those who take statins and those who supposedly should but don't.

Mark - salt really is a factor. Just like the "low fat" craze is totally off base low sodium generally is as well. If you follow a low carb diet you absolutely need to find ways to get more salt.
                              Rick
                              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Rslaugh
                                • Sep 2003
                                • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                                • Ridgid

the hardest thing for me to get by was the calories in = calories out way of thinking. Its too simplistic and our bodies just don't work that way. Oak doesn't burn the same way as pine and protein and fat do not burn the same as carbs. Even that is too simplistic. It's in the way your body decides to store and eventually process different foods.
                                Rick
                                ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

Working...