• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Pm 1000

Anyone got or concidering the new PM 1000? If so what's your thoughts?

Thanks for the thoughts. It would be quite a while before I could spring for the PM but looking at the Griz options I'm a lot closer.
    Last edited by charliex; 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM. Reason: Thank you
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Seems pricey for a hybrid saw. For the same price I would go with a full sized cabinet saw from grizzly or steel city and have a couple hundred left over. That or save up and go with the full sized powermatic, unisaw, or sawstop.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by charliex
      Anyone got or concidering the new PM 1000? If so what's your thoughts?
      put down the kool aid, step away from the pm1000 and go get a grizzly.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

The Grizzly G0715P got great reviews ("Top Tool") in the most recent copy of Wood magazine, comparing 2-HP tablesaws, noting its full cast iron top, and "power in spades". Might be worth a look for under $800.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

They look really nice, and I'm sure they're great saws, but I'm with you guys. For 1/2 the price, you can get almost the same saw from another vendor.

If I were going to spend upwards of $2k on a saw, I'd probably get something like the G0690 Cabinet saw. Then again, I'm perfectly happy with my 36-982. The only thing about it is I'm considering swapping it to 240, but as little as I get to work in the shop, it's probably not worth the time or expense.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

220 is really valuable for getting the most mileage out of an underpowered shop like mine, with a 30amp sub panel. Motors don't usually develop any more power in 220 vs 120 configuration.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

Power is power. 240 vs 120 is 1/2 the amps but the same watts. The 240 motor windings may be a tad more efficient and it will balance the load across your incoming line but I would be surprised if you can actually see a difference in cutting.
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

If you are going to spend that kind of bank on a nice table saw, then keep saving for a SawStop, at least you have the blade brake then. However I have seen the PM1000 at Woodcraft and while I thought it was a nice saw, it is no nicer than saw the Grizzly G0690, and with the Grizzly you get a 3HP motor... For a bunch less money.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Very expensive for a nice 110v Asian saw that doesn't offer the advantages of a flesh sensing safety brake or 3hp motor. While it appears to be a nice saw, IMHO there are better choices in that price range....Saw Stop or Griz 3hp, both of which have already been mentioned.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I looked at the PM1000 as well as the Griz and Jets, and overlooked the SawStop. (I still think the SS designer is wrong and I will not support him by spending my $$ on his invention) My shop has multiple purposes as a machine shop, mechanic shop, boat shop, etc. with all of my woodworking equipment in its own smaller room. I use the open floorspace of the mech shop to set up the table saw and planer so whatever saw I choose must be easily moveable. I wanted a a full width cabinet like some of the members here did with their BT3's and be able to roll the saw back into the wood shop when I was finished using it. I chose the 470 lb Powermatic 64 for this reason. The 464 lb Powermatic 1000 did not appear as suitable for a full width roll around cabinet. To me the finish of Powermatics was far better than the competition, even its owner Jet. All of the saws look good on the outside, just take a good look at the finish under the top.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by capncarl
                      .......To me the finish of Powermatics was far better than the competition, even its owner Jet. All of the saws look good on the outside, just take a good look at the finish under the top.
                      Jet is not the owner of PM. both are brands that were owned by the WMH tool group, which recently sold them to tenex capital management:

they are made oversees just like most other tools, they just do a much better job of marketing perceived, as opposed to material, value.

Comment

Working...