100% complete list of accessories and mods?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I saw that!
    Banned
    • Oct 2013

100% complete list of accessories and mods?

Last edited by I saw that!; 04-26-2015, 01:19 AM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

so what is it?
    Pictures?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

wow, never saw or heard of that one.

I have heard the mod described to put the holes at the front end of the SMT for the miter fence. That allows moving the moter fence to allow four more inches of crosscut (but with no bevel capacity in that position. And It appeared in a later BT3 clone, I think the 21829.

I didn't know that Ryobi offered a mod kit to do so for the BT3000/3100.

So I thought the FAQ was pretty complete but apparently it isn't. I wonder if there's a date anywhere on the instructions.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by I saw that!
        It also includes 4 new "A" slides (yes, the impossibly hard to find upper ones),
        The slides are available from Sears for $3.79 each (part 13 in the list)

As far as I know the ones for the 21829 are the same as the others, but it is interesting they list it as unavailable for the BT3x versions. Might be a marketing or contract issue.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Wow that looks old (relatively speaking)... guessing maybe 1995-ish?

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Here are a couple pictures I found of when I modified my SMT on the 3100 back in 02.

I wasn't aware that they had such a kit either. Wow. Just goes to show you, no matter how much you think you might know, you may not know it all.

Opps. BT3000 I mean.

I did make that modification to the BT3100 as well, but later. The pictures are the 3000.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Stytooner; 11-29-2014, 12:05 PM. Reason: Faulty memory module
            Lee

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

The documentation is dated 4-92, so the kit is at least that old.
              I didn't even realize the BT3K was that old.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm having a little trouble following exactly what the instructions are trying to accomplish.
                I wonder if the mods made are for early models and later models have the basics implemented without needing to drill new holes.

I have a Dec 1999 BT3000. I haven't gone out to the shop to look at the saw vs the mod instructions to see if its essentially already implemented.

I do recall that some early complaints were about the height of the SMT vs the main table... some needed to be shimmed up but I think it settled down and most SMTs were thereafter a tad higher than the main table.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22811

I would love to have this kit, any idea where it might be found?
                  DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The instruction sheet for the SMT mod kit is dated 4-92, after my saw (which is already up to mod specs) was made.
                    Evidently, Ryobi implemented the mod(s) and then (after a couple of years?) created this kit to bring older (pre 2-92 for sure) saws up to date.
                    that's what I suspected when you mentioned the date along with the fact that this kit was never mentioned in later days.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dates of change implementation don't always follow the order of importance or order of the actual change.

Some take a simple change and result in minimal scrap (like a few plastic pads) and others are a more complex change that takes into account supply chain and inventory.

For example changing the motor may have been realized from day 1, but preproduction orders of 13A motors had already been placed and would have been expensive to cancel or scrap. They may have had some inventory at Ryobi as well as production at the motor shop. In most engineering change systems there is always a checkbox for
                      1 recall all product
                      2 rework all inventory
                      3 scrap all Work in progress or
                      4 use inventory as is and then phase in change
                      and other staged change options. And a cost analysis box estimating the cost of the action suggested, that had to be approved.

obviously 1 is the most expensive and 4 is the least.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-30-2014, 11:39 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• mpc
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Cypress, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I took a look at my SMT - from an early 13 amp BT3000 saw - and the holes seemed to match the "new" holes in the template. And my SMT had the half-inch cutout in the end that looked factory-cast. The corners were rounded like most other corners on the underside of the SMT.. I'm the original owner... nobody modded this saw before I got it.

My spare BT3 SMT had holes matching the "new" template holes as well though the cutout is about an inch wide and looks like it was filed by somebody - the edges are sharp corners and there is no paint coloring over the newly exposed metal. This came from a used 15 amp saw I bought many years ago so I don't know its history. Was this SMT modded at the factory with a 1" file? Or filed by the previous owner? I don't remember filing it though I might have eons ago to make it slide as far as my original SMT.

It seems the mods in the kit were implemented fairly early in the BT3000 production run since two different 13 amp saws (mine and "I saw that"'s saws) seem to have the mods from the factory. I didn't think to check the production dates or serial numbers of my two saws.

mpc
                        Last edited by mpc; 12-01-2014, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Since you want 100%, I will mention a couple of related things:

There was another fence offered once by a third party. No one here ordered one AFAIK.

There was also an addition in which Incra jig/fence (or another) could be added directly to the saw. I kinda think that the "addition" was part of the Incra system that allowed it to work on the BT3000. I am not sure how well that worked, and it seems like one person here bought one.

Another fact: Makita made a saw that looked VERY close to the BT3000, including base style of the 3000. I saw one in Tokyo back in '90/'91 at a church build site. I never saw one in a store but did see it in a few magazines. That saw was not sold in the US, AFAIK.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mmcmac
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2014

It's curious that there's an abundance of B slides yet not nearly as many A's out there.
                            That design has me scratching my head. The A slide wears normal to the table as it supports the weight of the table and work. The B slide wears parallel to the table in order to maintain SMT travel parallel to the blade. Clearance between the B slide and table is the only location taken up by the associated eccentric screw which must be removed to replace either A or B slide. So AFAICT the 2 piece arrangement is functionally equilvalent to a single component with the same assembled dimensions.

My B slides broke into a hundred pieces due to embrittlement.
                            Is this a common failure? I'd assumed the guides to be molded from nylon or acetal which should not have such stability issues. But that was just my quick assumption from handling the material.

Comment

• mmcmac
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Nov 2014

I'm wondering what [the SMT slides] are made of.. Are they delrin or nylon? Could they be molybdenum disulfide filled nylon, even though, IMHO, standard nylon should be slick enough and durable enough for this application?
                              Good question. Intuitively lubricant filled plastic alloys would have less tensile strength compared to the unadorned polymer. But I can't imagine the lubricant inclusion would be substantial enough to significantly affect material properties. The bt3000 casualty which saw cabinet shop usage has two cracked B slides. But no idea if they got into that state via natural deterioration vs. misuse.

The service life and coefficient of friction in sliding bearing usage for nylon and acetal is all over the map varying significantly due to chemical composition, alloying, and lubricant inclusions. Although for this application that may not translate into much difference. I've seen reports of commodity acetal in service as moulded-in-place zero backlash acme nuts on machine tools without discernible wear issues arising.

I'm no nylon expert, but I've dealt with plenty of it in consumer electronics mechanisms. Would the moly filled nylon leave residue behind on the BT3's rails and SMT base? If so, it would be pretty obvious whether this was used.
                              Even in that event I'd expect the moly percentage to be relatively low and moreover any residue likely being close in color to the anodized aluminum ways. I took a look at one of the A slides at 60x and didn't observe any obvious discrete lubrication but that's not really conclusive either. I have a block of white acetal (claimed to be "high lubricity") on its way and will follow up with details of it usage for SMT slides when I get around to that project.

Comment

Working...