• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlerwick
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • western Nebraska

Rigid mortising attachment

Does anyone know if the Rigid mortising DP attachment will fit the Ryobi 10" DP? They are being closed out at our local borg and it would be a lot cheaper to go this route than a dedicated mortising machine.
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

First, I must say I've been extremely satisfied with the mortising attachment that came with my Jet 17". However, DP mortising attachments usually get a bad rap -- but it's usually from people trying to use them on undersized DPs. So there you go.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• rollo
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2005
      • tacoma, wa, USA.

I have the delta mortising attachment, and it has adapter collars that make it fit on almost any DP. I know that it fits on the Ryobi 10", the GMC 10" and the HF floor DP. Though, beware of using a mortising attachment on an undersize DP. If the quill of the DP has any play at all, it will be magnified one you put a mortising attachment on there. That's why I ended up with the big HF DP. It has zero play in the quill, and doesn't bog down at all when mortising. Good luck.
      -Rollo

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

I got a Tool Shop mortising attachment from Menard's for ~$35. It looks identical to the Delta. Haven't used it yet--like HF, it's a bit of a gamble, but if it works the few times I need it to, great.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Dean,

I don't have any experience with the Ridgid, I had a Sears POS and a Delta. Neither were much good.

The HF Mortiser is not the best. But, it is on sale for $99 and it comes with three passable chisel sets. [1/4, 3/8, & 1/2] It weighs 60 pounds...So that's $1.50 a pound. That's less than ground chuck. I can't figure out how they can make something with a motor and 60 lbs of steel and ship it from China and sell it for less than $100, even with slave labor.

My performance greatly improved after I sharpened the chisels with a cone shaped diamond sharpener. I know planes and regular chisels are not usually right out of the box. It just didn't dawn on me that you should "fettle" mortise chisels before use.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...