X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Gathering Table

I can post this because this is finally done. Two and a half months, thanks to some delays and vacations. This is a minor variation on Marc Spag's rustic outdoor table, lengthened a foot.

Pics, in reverse order. WRC, teak finish. For the full story, you can check it out here: http://www.the144workshop.com/tag/gathering-table/

By far the most challenging project I've ever done, and the one that pushed my skills and pushed my shop to the very limit. He really would like another one, and while the next one will be easier, I'm not sure I'll ever attempt it in this shop as it stands today. I learned a lot about what I'd like to do, things I would have never realized without this project.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

That's what I like about this site, we can admit that a project pushed us to our limit or showed us our limitations. I don't see this at other sites. Ask for suggestions and it may turn into 40 ways to build a wheel, but all may be right, or may talk you out of building wheels. I've reached my limits a number of times with some of my projects and said that I'll never do this again and soon found myself doing the same project with a different approach thanks to some of the attitudes of this group. The size of our shops and how well equipped or how small it is does not stop us from sharing our projects and their successes or failures.

I believe that we learn a lot more from our failures and errors, more than we learn from our successes alone, so to keep quiet about our leanings from failures is not in the true spirit of this site.

Cochise
    Now you can apply your leanings to the next project, and how to do them better, or to adjust your shop to handle it.
    capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      That's what I like about this site, we can admit that a project pushed us to our limit or showed us our limitations. I don't see this at other sites. Ask for suggestions and it may turn into 40 ways to build a wheel, but all may be right, or may talk you out of building wheels. I've reached my limits a number of times with some of my projects and said that I'll never do this again and soon found myself doing the same project with a different approach thanks to some of the attitudes of this group. The size of our shops and how well equipped or how small it is does not stop us from sharing our projects and their successes or failures.

I believe that we learn a lot more from our failures and errors, more than we learn from our successes alone, so to keep quiet about our leanings from failures is not in the true spirit of this site.

Cochise
      Now you can apply your leanings to the next project, and how to do them better, or to adjust your shop to handle it.
      capncarl
      What you said is well worth repeating! Thanks for the comments! Thanks for this thread too!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Those are very nice pieces. I like that little detail you did for the table stretchers.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl

Cochise
          capncarl
          Well said. I think in this hobby (and profession for some) people get the impression that things can be easy to accomplish if you just do x, y and z. Sometimes, it's difficult just to get to c.

All the important things about my workshop I learned from a project, and the processes I have to go through. I have learned so much about how to run a shop with the state of mine, but it's time for me to either expand or drastically change how I work. I don't want to do another project of this scope or size without one or the other or both.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Nice table!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

Working...