• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Inset Hinge for doors within face frame

I want to replace my old boot bench on my patio with something nicer looking, and thought inset doors would look better than the current partial overlay ones.

This picture inspired me:

Now I realize the hinges for inset doors in face-frame cabinets need to be different, but these look exotic and difficult to install (and expensive!).

I'll need two per door, which will be 20" tall and 19" wide. What are my options?
    Last edited by radhak; 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM. Reason: Earlier picture was wrong
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

These prices will be much more palatable.

Woodworker’s Hardware has over 250 cabinet hardware hinges to choose from. We offer self-closing, concealed, heavy-duty, and many other options. Browse now!

For installation, Rockler has a kit, or just be very careful with a forstner bit.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

inset hinges don't need to be infintely adjustable. There are old style simplier hinges, like these
      Shop Hardware Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our extensive selection of functional, decorative fittings to help you find the right finishing touches for any project.
      Alex V

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Cochese
        These prices will be much more palatable.

Woodworker’s Hardware has over 250 cabinet hardware hinges to choose from. We offer self-closing, concealed, heavy-duty, and many other options. Browse now!

For installation, Rockler has a kit, or just be very careful with a forstner bit.
        That seems to be a great site to bookmark; good prices. Unfortunately they don't seem to have any hinges for inset doors on cabinets with face-frame; only overlay doors for FF, or inset doors with frameless.

Btw, my picture above was wrong before. I need this configuration on the left:
        Last edited by radhak; 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by vaking
          inset hinges don't need to be infintely adjustable. There are old style simplier hinges, like these
          http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...41,41257,41984
          True, and these seem to fit the bill. I'm guessing part of the hinge will be visible when the door is closed? I guess I can live with that.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by radhak
            That seems to be a great site to bookmark; good prices. Unfortunately they don't seem to have any hinges for inset doors; only overlay doors.

Btw, my picture above was wrong before. I need this configuration on the left:
            I think you just need the mounting plate to go with standard hinges: http://mcfaddensdirect.mcfaddens.com...h-cam-9mm.aspx

That's the part number listed on your Amazon page.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Ah - ok. That makes sense now.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

European hinges are more complicated than they appear. Woodworkers hardware has a good but still somewhat complicated table in their paper catalog that shows the hinges and mounting plates for various installations. The hinges are not all the same. A new mounting plate might work but it might not too.

Comment

Working...