X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

I've been married for 47 years to a wonderful cook who is also a cookbook writer , food editor and recipe developer. LOML will not allow margarine in our kitchen. :-)

I'm also blessed with good genes, I guess, because all my grandparents, their children and my parents all passed away quietly in their 90's. So I figure I'll use real butter.

Julia Child was once asked if she could suggest a substitute for butter. Her reply was "Why yes! Use heavy cream.".
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
      About 2 months ago I changed from using margarine to butter about half the time. For toast and even for light frying, I can tell a world of difference.
      snip

This past week, I made two pieces of toast and buttered one and added margarine to the other.

Results:
      Margarine toast was soggy almost immediately;
      Buttered toast remained crispy.

I'm giving up the watered down margarine!
      snip
      One tip for buttering toast: Butter doesn’t spread like whipped margarine, so I cut butter into pats, place a pat on the toast and use a Harbor Freight heat gun on the butter. In about 10 seconds, it is fully melted. Toast is crisp too. Finally, I can eat and enjoy toast like I used to!
      One thing, it's now called spread.... the stuff in the tubs is as you say, a lot of water. I think the stick stuff is still real margarine. I'll try it on my french toast tomorrow and see how it melts.

I love salted butter, milk and ice cream, unfortunately it hates me. If you think margarine is bad try comparing Oat Milk or Rice Milk to the real thing.

Congrats on the weight loss. I too continue to loose weight, two years and it's down about 35 pounds. Goes in spurts, Ill weigh the same and suddenly I am down another 5 pounds. Had a long stretch of no loss and then I had the stomach flue.....

Bill
      on the left coast

Comment

• Old Dutchman
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2011
        • Holland Mi
        • My BT3000

Butter or margarine!

One thing that You might have noticed is what foods the cows were eating. My Family has went to foods that are not genetically modified. My Daughter has food allergies, She also has problems with Dairy products. We have changed to foods that are not Genetically Modified! After a few weeks of getting used to the flavors, We all felt much happier with the flavors of the food and the energy that we have gained, that We will never go back to other unknown foods. You will find that there is a difference, and now We know what We are eating. Other Countries watch this much Closer than the USA does!
        I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• Neal
          Established Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
          • Ryobi BT3000

We converted to Butter sometime ago, when trying to do a primal dietary regimen. We never switched back.

Don't use a lot of it, because I don't eat a lot of bread, but I much prefer it to margarine.

Comment

• thiggy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Alabama.
            • Craftsman Contractor

I grew up in the 50's with nothing but oleo served at home. When the family would eat out (rarely) I would try butter, but I did not care for it. Since our marriage, my wife has exclusively used butter, as that is what she was raised on. In perhaps the last 20 years, my Mother has converted to butter as well. We all prefer salted.
            SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• marc82much
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2014

margarine/oleo eaters...

Just curious. Why do you eat margarine/oleo?

Is it because you think it will be a healthier choice than butter?
              Is it because it tastes better (to you)?
              Is it a cost issue?
              Other?

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

I don't use much of either. I prefer wheat toast with nothing else on it. I still eat it with butter or Oleo, but won't apply it when given a choice. I like jams and jellies as well, but rarely use it on toast.
                Now I like my biscuits with butter. No jam.
                Lee

Comment

• Neal
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Stytooner
                  Now I like my biscuits with butter. No jam.
                  I prefer my biscuits with suasage gravy....But that won't help me win the weight loss challenge, so I just stay away

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by marc82much
                    Just curious. Why do you eat margarine/oleo?

Is it because you think it will be a healthier choice than butter?
                    Is it because it tastes better (to you)?
                    Is it a cost issue?
                    Other?
                    Up until the mid-50s (I was about 8) we had (made) our own butter. Mom bought butter after that for a few years but at some point around '60, she started buying margarine. LOML's family used margarine considerably and when we married we continued that.

I think the reason was that the perception and "science" gave us at that time - margarine was healthier than butter.

Perception is erroneously swayed by statements such as "1/3 less calories", "vegetable", "less fat" etc. Food scientists also led to this conclusion in the 60's - 80's.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mattcintosh
                      Handtools only
                      • Oct 2014

If a stick margarine is less than 100 calories per serving or contain less than 80% vegetable oil, it contains added water. I tried to find some of that at the store today and with all the stuff in tubs and sticks, only Land o' Lakes still is the real stuff. I see some stuff out there that is 35%. I've told my parents that when I see the junk they have in their fridge and they tell me "its better for you" and I tell them, you're just paying for a box of 2 sticks of margarine, and 2 sticks of water. Want it to be healtier? Just use less.

I never really got into butter and seems to taste a little funny to me.

Also, I could never stand eating non-melted margarine, spreading it on cold bread is just nasty.

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Back when I was a kid, Post WWII and we didn't have much, I can remember my mom dumping this red liquid into a bowl of this white stuff and as she stirred it, it turned a yellow color. Then we put it on our Toast yuk. I think that was a butter substitute from rationing during WWII. Of course over the years they improved it? and now we find out it isn't that good for us.

Tom

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Probably coming to a Harry and David near you:

Comment

• All Thumbs
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Penn Hills, PA
                            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

OMG needing a special tool to butter your bread? What is this world coming to?

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Interesting thread to dig back up, but I'll play...

Over the years I have bounced between real butter, and the low fat margarine spreads. I have been taken to task rather sternly by my primary care doctor, as well as nutritionist over the issue. With the amounts I use (minimal at most), I am actually better off using real, honest to goodness butter.

What butter we do get is Organic "Amish" butter. Flavor is a bit different from say Land O Lakes as it seems to have a stronger flavor, so I end up using less. Between the wife and I we go through maybe a pound of butter in 2 months. Thank God for long expiration dates!

FWIW, I tend to make a dish, called Brat Kartoffeln mit Kohl (Bratwurst potatoes with cabbage), the potatoes and cabbage get pan fried in butter. I tried with margarine and the results tasted awful.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by All Thumbs
                                OMG needing a special tool to butter your bread? What is this world coming to?
                                A butter grater is pure genius though.
                                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...