• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

What smartphone works as a phone?

This is wood related, as in the more I spend on more phones the less I have to spend on wood and tools.

Two years ago I traded in a perfectly good -- working Moto flip phone for a Samsung Galaxy S2. While that phone is thin and has a great screen to watch movies on and a whole lot of other things. GPS never worked and the phone part was almost as bad. With the best of reception it is hard to make out what is said and anything but the best reception makes the phone into a nonphone. Were it not for Google Voice I would have no use of the phone as a phone at home.

I admit that I did not research it enough and was swayed by reviews that seemed to forget that the thing should be a phone too. Add to this I also am using SPRINT which had great reception in pre-digital days and now only has cute girls as service reps in the store as a plus feature.

So, I am asking a bunch of practical guys and gals what phone works for you? Has a good transceiver for the phone that gets good clear reception at a distance. Is perhaps a bit more durable than some and battery life that is at least all day with some phone calls.

If anyone knows of comparison between phones on the same carrier, as in side by side comparisons of how well they work as phones, that would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    on the left coast, where the grass is now growing like crazy
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Really it's all about the carrier. You can check the service maps on each one and then use something like http://www.signalmap.com/us to get unbiased reports. A few crowdsourced maps and databases for your particular zip code.

I went from an iPhone to a couple of different Android devices. Really, with a good signal, any of them will work just fine. I think if I had to recommend a device to someone who wants a phone, of all the smartphones I'd say go with Apple. The Nokia Windows phones are supposed to be good, depending on the model. The Samsung Androids, while not my favorite, are good. I like my HTC One.

If you aren't keen on signing a contract, you will want to check out the Nexus 5 and Moto X Android phones, pretty reasonable off-contract and no monthly installments (which is where operators are headed to avoid the dreaded 'contract' word, but it's still essentially a contract).

If you're not playing around on the screen much, almost any phone will get you through the day or two or three without much problems with just voice calls. You can check out Phone Arena www.phonearena.com to get pure statistical comparisons.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

In my case it's both the phone and carrier. The S2 has problems across the board with all carriers with many problems including bad to no GPS poor reception, phantom fingers launching apps to name just a few. Even with no added apps and uninstalling or not using the built in ones the battery hardly lasts. Part of the battery problem is the phone is constantly searching for a signal. If I put it in airplane mode and didn't use it the battery would last just over 24 hours. Now with a 2 year old battery it's about 8 hours. I can buy a new battery, the real issue is poor to no reception, It never gets full bars even in the parking lot across from the cell tower.

I am going to check out your links, thanks for the info

Bill

Originally posted by Cochese
      Really it's all about the carrier. You can check the service maps on each one and then use something like http://www.signalmap.com/us to get unbiased reports. A few crowdsourced maps and databases for your particular zip code.

I went from an iPhone to a couple of different Android devices. Really, with a good signal, any of them will work just fine. I think if I had to recommend a device to someone who wants a phone, of all the smartphones I'd say go with Apple. The Nokia Windows phones are supposed to be good, depending on the model. The Samsung Androids, while not my favorite, are good. I like my HTC One.

If you aren't keen on signing a contract, you will want to check out the Nexus 5 and Moto X Android phones, pretty reasonable off-contract and no monthly installments (which is where operators are headed to avoid the dreaded 'contract' word, but it's still essentially a contract).

If you're not playing around on the screen much, almost any phone will get you through the day or two or three without much problems with just voice calls. You can check out Phone Arena www.phonearena.com to get pure statistical comparisons.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Well, it is a three year old phone now. It's the one that really put Samsung on the map for phones, but technology goes by so fast. Phones now have double the battery hours (in terms of mAh, not necessarily real-world due to better screens). You'll also benefit by getting access to 4G networks.

Some of the most in-depth technical reviews of phones are done by anandtech.com. If you are looking for more to the point reviews, The Verge and Engadget are good.
        Last edited by Cochese; 05-08-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I've been using iPhones since 2008 or so, first a 3gs, now an iPhone 5. Been very happy with them. The phone app/functionality works just fine.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

When we came back from Japan and moved to my home town about 30 miles south of Memphis, LOML and I decided to go with T-Mobile and pay as we go for about a year to figure out what would do best for us.

I learned that T-Mobile didn't do well here (did in Memphis but not here.) My Mother-in-Law came to visit from GA and had Verizon. My T-Mobile and her verizon would work in one room in the house - the kitchen, and then we had to be located by the window, or go outside.

We settled on the iPhone 4s and we still have those. They work well and through out our region.

Our T-Mobile non-smart phone gave both of us fits with its weak speaker system, but the our iPhones have been great. I don't begin to use the iPhone for all that it will do. The main thing beside using as a phone is for its database of phone numbers and addresses.

What I like about that is that if I add an address or phone number or notes onto my laptop, the address/phone number/notes are automatically added onto my phone within seconds, and vice-versa. OH and that happens without having to hook sync the phone to the computer.

iMessage (text messages between iPhones) go directly to the laptop also. I don't do lots of text messaging but some do. I generally irritate people who text me by calling them. Most of the time a simple text message does not clarify things and back and forth texts can be resolved quicker by a simple phone call.

To me, Samsung/Android users fall into two extremes: Those who are techies and love to fiddle with all the settings - and for these the Android system works well. Then there are those who think the Androids are the same as iPhones and buy them because they are cheaper. That is OK but they use their phones much less for its capabilities because it does require a fairly good tech-mindset to use it as a "smartphone". One note that I see on the android systems is that either people are tech minded and use it well or they are not tech minded and really would be better off without a smartphone.
            Last edited by leehljp; 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

The Androids that are cheaper are the ones you don't want. Aside from the Nexus/Moto X as mentioned.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Stupid question, but why are you limiting your train of thought to a Smart phone?

For the three or four times a year, I wish I had the capability to look something up (price wise), online, I just kept using my dumb phone (candy bar Nokia, still going and have to charge once a week).
                If it is a work thing, are you reimbursed or do they provide a phone?
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Performance wise my Samsung Galaxy S4 has been great. MUCH better than the flip / candybar phones of the past. However I am having reliability / hardware problems with it. It keeps melting down the SIM cards... Need to get AT&T to warranty it...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    Stupid question, but why are you limiting your train of thought to a Smart phone?
                    I live where it rains often, I use the weather apps a lot. I also carry a lot of info on the phone that I reference during the day. I do a lot of communicating via text and need a phone that is easy to text with, ie. larger keyboard and spell check. I also would use it for gps navigation in the city if the gps worked on the phone. I have also migrated all the photos I take for business from a camera to the phone. Being able to email a photo right a way makes my life easier.

I really don't want to carry two phones, one that works as a phone and one that does everything else.

I understand where you are coming from and for years resisted a smartphone.

Bill

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                      Performance wise my Samsung Galaxy S4 has been great. MUCH better than the flip / candybar phones of the past. However I am having reliability / hardware problems with it. It keeps melting down the SIM cards... Need to get AT&T to warranty it...
                      The S4 is highly rated by Consumer Reports sorry to hear it's a bit hot.

How is it in pulling down a signal? Can you connect when others can't? Did they fix the GPS problem where the satellites just disappear? Has it survived living in a pocket?

That is one of the phones I am considering. Sprint hasn't completed the new system hereabouts and the tri frequency phones that do not have CDMA have problems with data speeds when away from a WIFI connection. I also have a soft spot for Moto and need to talk with someone with experience with the newer ones.

Bill
                      over here where it stays light later

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        I use my iPhone about 99.5% of the time as an internet browsing device or a music player, and the rest of the time as a phone. The phone is an important part of what I do with it, but I'd be lost without anytime internet connectivity.

Comment

• Rand
                          Established Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I had a samsung Droid Charge - one of the first 4G phones - and it was a complete POS. I almost tossed it out the car window several times.

I've had the Galaxy S4 for almost a year now and it has been almost flawless. Long battery life, very reliable. My only complaint is that the speaker is too quiet. Even with the volume set to maximum It's hard to hear it ring sometimes.
                          Rand
                          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

My iPhone 4S work phone functions well as a phone. It also works fine as a speakerphone. I look at email a lot on it but don't use a lot of apps - it is a work phone.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by Rand
                              I had a samsung Droid Charge - one of the first 4G phones - and it was a complete POS. I almost tossed it out the car window several times.

I've had the Galaxy S4 for almost a year now and it has been almost flawless. Long battery life, very reliable. My only complaint is that the speaker is too quiet. Even with the volume set to maximum It's hard to hear it ring sometimes.
                              The S2 is also hard to hear, or I'm just going deaf. I wonder what they broke when they made the S5? The S4 has good reviews and lots of folk like them. I'll have to find someone who upgraded and see if they are happy with it.

Bill

Comment

Working...