• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Seatbelts became law in 76 where I live. Been wearing them since and now it's uncomfortable not to wear one. I also wear the belt in my heavy industrial truck. I came close to flipping one in my younger( and more foolish ) days and never forgot the feeling.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jaybee
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Regina, SK, Canada
      • BT3100-1

Sometime in the mid to late 50's, I remember helping my Dad install seat belts in our then current car. Of course he worked for the RCMP and did not need the argument I was using of being able to have better control.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I always wear'em when in the front. Wife and kids wear them wherever they sit because she insists (and now it's a habit for them), and wife and I have been in arguments about why I need to wear them when in the back, and I guess I've been stubborn about it.

But Pappy, reading your post, I'm ready to change. For all my tech background, I did not really think it thru, particularly that I might be jeopardizing the front seaters. I'll be wearing the belt even in the back now on.

Earl (greenacres), that is one sweet little tool; I'm gonna get a pair. Wish they had it in purple ! Not sure about the TFT Res-Q-Rench - is it another type of the same thing?
        Last edited by radhak; 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, the Res-Q-Wrench is geared to emergency responders. Doubtful that most people would use it for hose coupling or to pry a bedroom door open!! It is one handy tool for auto accidents and structure fires though. I also carry a Stanley Fubar in my car, but it's tightly secured 'cuz i sure don't want to get hit with it if i'm the one in the accident.

Nor do i want to be hit by a projectile flying passenger who is not restrained. Not to pick on you radhak, but buckling yourself in the back seat may be more about protecting the others in the vehicle from you bouncing around. Could you imagine what would happen if only the people in the front car of a roller coaster were strapped in?? Please consider it. Thanks!!

earl

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

While working as a civilian employee of the CHP saw many fatal accident pictures. Many of them show people ejected from the vehicle for not wearing belts. A great number of the show victims who went through the front windshield from the back seat, including Toddles, not pretty. I also had the chance to learn out to get myself out of sunken car. Part of the defensive driving training I had. All future Officers go through the same training. I was invited to do this during some down time in training at the academy. Like those new rescue tools that the link pointed too, will have to get a couple much easier to keep handy. My knife and center punch was old school.

Tom

Comment

• michael.scheller
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Indiana --> Texas
              • BT3100

Me too.

I became a helicopter crewmember when I was 19 and was in a fatal accident within months. The seat belt left a scar where it abraded me along my hip. Seatbelt use became automatic and I have always worn one with very minor exceptions every since.
              Mike Scheller
              We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution.
              -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy Inaugural address

Comment

• Daryl
                • May 2004

Originally posted by greenacres2
                I keep one of these http://resqme.com/US/ on my key ring. I've been at a lot of accident scenes where stuff is all over the place--but the keys are always in the ignition. I've helped a few volunteer fire departments in areas with deep ditches and high rates of water accidents get funding to provide them to citizens--and have heard some good stories as a result.

I also carry one of these in the door pouch http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...roductId/1088/, one in my fire coat, and one in my tool belt on race tracks.

No direct interest in the products or distributors, but those are both phenomenal tools.

P.S.--seat belts all the time, i've seen the results of not wearing.

earl
                Just a little heads up. I was in an accident(no injury) last winter where I was struck broadside and pretty much trapped in the car. The steering column was dislocated in such a manner that it was impossible to lock the ignition and remove the keys. You may wish to consider a two part keychain that easily disconnects for carrying that tool.
                Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Daryl
                  Just a little heads up. I was in an accident(no injury) last winter where I was struck broadside and pretty much trapped in the car. The steering column was dislocated in such a manner that it was impossible to lock the ignition and remove the keys. You may wish to consider a two part keychain that easily disconnects for carrying that tool.
                  If you're talking about the ResqMe tool, the business end of the tool (window punch and belt cutter) is held onto the key ring by friction/tension. With a tug of, I think, 12lbs it comes off.

Glad you were OK in that crash.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

You guys aren't doing it but I normally hear the "what if I go into water" argument as a reason not to wear seat belts. The small percentage of accidents that involve potential drowning or otherwise being trapped in an unsafe situation by the belt is small, however. It has always seemed more of an excuse to me.

I might not remember but I try to tell myself I would remember to lower the window while I could if I went into the water. Unless I have been on an airplane, I always have at least a couple knives on me. It might take a few seconds to get one out but I have a way to cut a belt off nearly all the time. My money clip knife is all stainless steel so it could probably serve to break a window if I had to. I could also kick the front or back glass out. I'll probably never have to do any of these things but I feel better knowing I have an idea how to deal with it if it every happens.

This is certainly not a reason to leave the seat belt off.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

My vehicle does not move until everyone is buckled in.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...