• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tohellwithuga
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • GA

My Dad's Tools

My father passed away a little over 2 weeks ago. It was somewhat sudden, but not totally unexpected. He lived a hard life - much, but not all, his own fault.

We weren't exactly close, but one thing we did have in common was a love of tools. He was a carpenter and handyman for many years, as was his father (who was also a Millwright and a Navy Aircraft mechanic in WWII).

Unfortunately, my dad was attacked a couple years back at his home, and quite a few of his best tools were stolen. I remember sitting with him afterwards, his body riddled with cuts, scrapes, bruises, and stab wounds, and all he would talk about were what tools he had lost (many of them belonged to his dad). Sadly, this was also the last time that I saw him in person. He never got to meet my twin daughters, but when I talked to him, he would always say, "Kiss them babies!"

But, I digress. The real reason for my post is to share with my fellow tool-lovers some of my best memories of my dad: his tools. I spent a day going through his shed last week, picking out the tools that I remembered him using, and leaving the new shiny stuff for my step-mom. I know there aren't a ton of expensive or antique tools in his collection, but I am proud of them nonetheless. Some of them will go to my brother, but he took most of the motorcycle gear, so I get most of the tools

• greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

My sympathy for your loss--but what a testament to the life of a man. My step-dad had a lot of the same tools and lived a hard life. His were lost to a family member who had a drug issue, and what was left lost in a fire. Use them well, but never forget his instruction to hug your kids.

Stay well...

Comment

• tohellwithuga
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • GA

Originally posted by greenacres2
      My sympathy for your loss--but what a testament to the life of a man. My step-dad had a lot of the same tools and lived a hard life. His were lost to a family member who had a drug issue, and what was left lost in a fire. Use them well, but never forget his instruction to hug your kids.

Stay well...
      Thank you, greenacres2. Sorry about your step-dad's tools, too. My step-dad also does handyman work - I guess I just couldn't escape it. Not sure how I ended up a Software Engineer, I am happiest with a hammer in my hand and a tool belt around my waist.

I couldn't have said it better, "what a testament to the life of a man". So true.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

"...there aren't a ton of expensive or antique tools..."

The dollar value is irrelevant. The memories that go with them are what counts. Nothing in my plane collection is more prized than the #5 that my father used when I was growing up.

Please accept my symathy for your loss, also.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

Sorry for your loss. I can understand his talk about the lost tools. He likely felt a connection to his father through using the same tools. As Pappy said, it's not about the $ value of the tools. I always find it interesting to look at tool collections & wonder about the history and projects of the past.

I did recognize many of the same tools my dad has and/or that one of grandfathers had. For whatever reason, I particularly noticed an old soldering iron with a wood handle that looked very much like one of my grandfather's.

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

I have some of my dad's tools in a box, just waiting on a chance to lay them out and make a couple shadow boxes for my kids.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

My condolences for your loss. It's unfortunate to lose touch with family members for whatever reason. My father became very ill before I started my business. There was only one time he felt good enough to visit the shop, and we made the trip oxygen tank and all. When we got to the shop he couldn't get out of the car, and we had to turn around and I drove him home. He passed away shortly thereafter, without realizing my endeavor. It would have been nice for him to know that I succeeded.

I'm a frequent shopper at flea markets and garage sales. I attended one sale that had advertised some audio equipment. When I got there I noticed some tool boxes on the floor and a coupe of them were hand made. The woman said they were her grandfathers...he was a carpenter and cabinetmaker. I opened a few of them and got a very eerie feeling that I was invading his life by sifting through his personal property. It was like I felt his presence.

Hopefully, you will feel your fathers presence.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sorry to hear about your dad.
                Tool spread is interesting - tools look like a long and hard life. Very few "sets" of matching screwdrivers, sockets, etc. Lots of redundancy. Pretty or good-looking is not a word that comes to mind (no offense meant).
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I should have probably gone through my Dad's tools when he passed away a couple years ago. I traveled there by air, however, which makes things challenging and he also didn't have much of anything I would really want. Mostly he worked on cars which mostly I just pay somebody to do. The biggest reason I didn't go through his things is probably because I just didn't want to.

My kids may not want my tools either but they have furniture my tools produced in their houses. Both have a kitchen table and 4 chairs, both have at least one bedroom set, plus other pieces. They like what I've given them and it is better than they can afford to buy at this point at least.

I have an old blanket chest that my late wife's grandfather made. It is not well constructed but she spent over $1000 getting it to my house. We found a spot for it. I'd like to think my stuff is a lot better than this chest but the quality of the construction is not why my late wife wanted it.

Jim

Comment

• All Thumbs
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Penn Hills, PA
                    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Sorry to hear about your dad.

But I can think of nothing else that would reflect a man's life any better. Those tools, purchased over the years, probably often purchased because of a specific need, really tell a great story.

Every time you use them you can expect to feel a connection.

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

At one time or another your dad held every single one of those tools in his hands. There are very few positives when it comes to the loss of a loved one but in this case, everytime you pick-up one of those tools it will be like shaking hands with your dad.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                        • May 2003
                        • Orlando, FL, USA.
                        • BT3000

sweensdv -

That says it all.

My dad died 13 years ago. I miss him everyday.

- Lonnie
                        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Unless your Dad bought those tools used, they do serve to tell a pretty good story of how they were used, and in turn give you some insight into the man that used them.

My Dad liquidated his workshop / tools when I was still in high school, and very few examples of his work exist outside of my middle brother's home. I understand why (health problems), but will never get the chance to work with say the hand planes that he used to make the toy Biplane he made me for Christmas when I was 6, or the Craftsman bandsaw we used to cut out the basic shape for my pinewood derby car...

Hopefully maybe some of these tools hold similar treasured memories for you.
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jseklund
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2006

Just to echo everyone's posts above. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I have many of the exact same tools as he did - the drywall square, carpenter square, speed square. Many others, my own father has.

A man with tools is a man with a purpose, in my opinion. Tools don't have to look good to change the world we live in. They just need to be attached to a human spirit. I am sure that, despite his hard life, he changed the world for the better - judging by the types of tools that he had. We all make mistakes, have difficulties and create hardship - but I can tell this is a man who came out on the positive side of the equation, even if it was hard to tell sometimes.
                            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

In taking a closer look at the tools, after sifting and separating you may find that there could be "sets". I don't believe that sets are a necessity unless it's for show. Your dad's work life was likely similar to mine in the beginning in only buying what was needed, and "sets" were unimportant. It was likely that times were tough, and there was very little need to splurge on unnecessary tools.

Comment

Working...