• Show
Clear All
  • thiggy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Alabama.
    • Craftsman Contractor

Rust Removal

I have on several occasions effectively used the electrolysis method to remove rust from iron objects, but now have something that I am not sure of. I have an old 25 cal Colt automatic which prior to being left for a few days in a house after a fire, was in pristine condition. It did not suffer fire damage, but the moisture has caused some rusting on the top of the slide, particularly in the groove where you sight down the barrel. My question is will the electrolysis process remove only the rust, or will it also remove the bluing? (By the way, the gun was a gift to my grandmother at the time of her wedding in 1910. Her father felt that everyone in rural Tennesee should have a gun in the house.) It is in the original cardboard box with the original instructions.
    SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm by no means a gun restoration expert, so hopefully someone who has done exactly what you are asking will chime in here.

However, I have an old 22-cal Hawthorne single-shot rifle which I got when I was 14. (It was the Montgomery Ward's marketing of the "Coltster" I believe.

When I got married I left it to my brother and it apparently was left in the basement for about 30-plus years. While the bore had been well oiled and suffered no damage whatsoever, the outside surfaces showed some surface rust and even some pitting.... something your handgun doesn't have yet, thankfully.

In any case, I first used WD-40 and it cleaned most of the surface rust off nicely, without damaging the blueing. I then generally oiled it with 3in1 several times over a few days, each time wiping it down and then applying a light oil coating of Outer's gun oil.

The pitting was more of a challenge. But there I used one of those WD-40 pens, spot soaking the pit. Then using a 12X glass, I would go in with a X-acto and gently pick out the rust. Then oil it.

The piece looks pretty good now, though very close observation does show the pitting. Like I said before, it's nice that you don't have that condition yet.

Good luck with the restoration,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 09-28-2014, 10:41 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

If the direct heat from the fire doesn't affect the gun, the residues in smoke will wreck it. Fires produce lots of acids and alkalis that will affect metals. As for removing the rust, just remember that blueing is a form of rust, so anything that removes rust will remove blueing.
      One of the best ways to save the blueing is to use a 0000 bronze wool and a thin oil, such as 3 in 1 or atf. for scaly places use a copper penny and oil and scrape the scale off.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

Working...