• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Reducing blowout while routing end grain

I've been having problems with blowout while doing some flush trimming on hard maple end grain:

To prevent it, i've tried:
    • Switching between a 3/4" template bit and a 3/4" shear angle flush cut bit based on grain direction (when not perfectly 90 degrees to grain) and proximity to corner
    • reduce router speed a notch or two
    • trim as close as possible with jig saw first
    • use multiple light passes
    • use climb cuts

but i still hit it. I have a lot of flush trimming to do on this project and i'm getting tired of fixing blowouts and short on time. Any other suggestions for reducing blowouts? I think i may try picking up a spiral flush trim bit next. Do these eliminate blowouts completely, just reduce the chance of them, or not do a whole lot for the situation?

Thanks!
    Eric
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I would cut with a spiral bit. I have a spiral upcut (not flush trim) that I use for timming endgrain and it helps. I also use a backer board.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I used to do it with an over-head bearing template bit. I would cut to within 1mm of the line and take the final mm with the bit and backer boards as Crockett mentioned. I never had a problem as long as the bit was sharp?

I still cut to within 1 mm... but I use a low angle block plane to make the final two passes at this point. From the sounds of it you need them pronto and probably don't have time to develope skill with that method. If you are in a major hurry, you might consider purchasing a 90 tooth blade to get a slick cut and then a little light sanding at that point would get you to the finish line.

Just curious if you had this happen on other species also for future reference?

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
        I used to do it with an over-head bearing template bit. I would cut to within 1mm of the line and take the final mm with the bit and backer boards as Crockett mentioned. I never had a problem as long as the bit was sharp?

I still cut to within 1 mm... but I use a low angle block plane to make the final two passes at this point. From the sounds of it you need them pronto and probably don't have time to develope skill with that method. If you are in a major hurry, you might consider purchasing a 90 tooth blade to get a slick cut and then a little light sanding at that point would get you to the finish line.

Thanks.

I think instead of the backer board i can alternate between the router and the jigsaw - cut one side of the corner with the jigsaw leaving a large overhang, flush trim it, cut the other side, cut the other side with the jigsaw, then flush trim it.

The block plane and 90 tooth blade won't work for most of the cases. This particular cut was straight, but the majority of the project is curved.
        Eric

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
          I had problems with walnut too on the same project.
          Eric

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Did you try flipping the piece over to get the grain going in the opposite direction?

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

JR
            JR

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Are you routing hand-held, or on a table? Bit choice and grain characteristics aside, I get better results with better control feeding the relatively lightweight workpiece into the spinning bit on a table than trying to finesse a heavier and bulkier hand-held router into the correct position when making a delicate cut like this.
              Larry

Comment

• thrytis
                • May 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by JR
                Did you try flipping the piece over to get the grain going in the opposite direction?
                Yes, that was why i was using both a template bit and a flush trim, so i could flip it over and change directions. I finally figured out the purpose of top and bottom bearings on the same bit!
                Eric

Comment

• thrytis
                  • May 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.
                  • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by LarryG
                  Are you routing hand-held, or on a table? Bit choice and grain characteristics aside, I get better results with better control feeding the relatively lightweight workpiece into the spinning bit on a table than trying to finesse a heavier and bulkier hand-held router into the correct position when making a delicate cut like this.
                  I'm routing on a table, though some of the pieces would be big enough that they could be clamped down and route hand-held.
                  Eric

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

You might try changing the feed direction. IOW run it backwards on the bit before your final pass.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

What project are you working on? Are you doing the across the grain cuts first? I always cut across grain, with grain, across , then finally with the grain. If this is not possible or if you are only doing the end grain use a backer board.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• thrytis
                        • May 2004
                        • Concord, NC, USA.
                        • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                        What project are you working on? Are you doing the across the grain cuts first? I always cut across grain, with grain, across , then finally with the grain. If this is not possible or if you are only doing the end grain use a backer board.
                        I'm working on a rocking horse. The order is somewhat forced - i have to do the joints first, then the perimeter which is all curves. About 95% of the project is flush trimming I have a spiral bit in the mail, and where possible i'm going to cut the pieces a fair bit over-sized and only cut close right before flush trimming that section to provide a little more backer material.
                        Eric

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

Eric, I do a TON of flush trim work in my wood working, and I used to get blow out and such until I bought a solid carbide 1/2" spiral flush trim router bit, and Haven't had any troubles since. Ease into the cut while supporting with a starting pin, and once bearing contact is made, you'll be golden. Spiral flush trim is definitely the way to go....

here's an example...

Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• thrytis
                            • May 2004
                            • Concord, NC, USA.
                            • Delta Unisaw

Thanks everyone!

I've been using a spiral flush trim bit for the last couple of days, thanks to Holbren for the fast delivery. I discovered with the spiral bit:
                            • It does reduce blowout but doesn't eliminate it. I had one blowout in ten pieces.
                            • It burns less than a normal bit. I went pretty slowly and didn't get a single burn on maple. I did get a little burning on walnut.
                            • The cut wasn't as smooth as using a shear bit, and was no better if not worse than a straight bit. I was expecting to see the opposite.
                            • Under table dust collection is necessary for an upcut spiral.

I still have the body to trim and several smaller pieces to go, but things are going better now.

Eric

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                              • Nov 2004
                              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                              • Delta Contractor Saw

I usually find that if I'm getting burning, it's due to a feed rate that's too slow no matter which bit I'm using.

Comment

Working...