X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhondas
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013

heat tape how to test it

I have heat tape on my main in water pipe , its been there from day one, yet last winter was brutal, and my pipes were fine, how can I test to see if my heat tape is really working ?
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

The temp sensor at the cord end of the tape needs to see low temperature to operate.

See this link:

How do I know if the Electric Heat Cable Kit is working properly?

If the Heat Cable Kit is installed correctly, the light in the plug will be on and the cable should be warm to the touch.

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

Ohm it with a multimeter would be the bestway.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

is it heat tape that's always on or heat tape with a thermostat? I've never seen one with a thermostat.

If its "always on" just use an DMM ohmeter on the plug end or if you have a Kill-a-watt, measure the wattage. if it uses some watts then its on, if its zero, its off and probably broken.

if it has a thermostat it will probably indicate open on the DMM when checked and its not real cold. then you need to locate the thermostat and somehow make it cold enough to turn on the tape.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rhondas
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2013

heat tape or not

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          is it heat tape that's always on or heat tape with a thermostat? I've never seen one with a thermostat.

If its "always on" just use an DMM ohmeter on the plug end or if you have a Kill-a-watt, measure the wattage. if it uses some watts then its on, if its zero, its off and probably broken.

if it has a thermostat it will probably indicate open on the DMM when checked and its not real cold. then you need to locate the thermostat and somehow make it cold enough to turn on the tape.
          Thank you so much

Comment

• rhondas
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2013

heat tape info

Originally posted by RAV2
            The temp sensor at the cord end of the tape needs to see low temperature to operate.

See this link:

If the Heat Cable Kit is installed correctly, the light in the plug will be on and the cable should be warm to the touch.
            You gave a good answer

Comment

• rhondas
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2013

heat tape help

Originally posted by RAV2

See this link:

the frost king videos are great

Comment

Working...