• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cray-
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013
    • Perth, AUS

Hello from Australia

Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Michael from Perth, Australia & yesterday I bought myself a BT3100 off Gumtree.

I've been wanting a table saw for awhile but space & budget are extremely limited. Although all you Americans seem spoiled for choice when it comes to budget table saws these days, in Aus the bottom end of the market is filled with rubbish and you really need to spend $800-$1200 find something decent. I found out about the bt3100 and it seemed like a good fit but they haven't been sold here for quite a few years so I setup my eBay and Gumtree alerts and waited patiently.

Yesterday I found myself an absolute bargain, an unused bt3100 with all the extras, never been assembled let alone used in anger, for a price I couldn't refuse. Two minor problems:

1. It was unboxed and not stored particularly well so the side panel has a bit of surface rust. Nothing some steel wool, killrust & paint won't sort out. Purely cosmetic.
    2. The original owner must have started putting it together and given up as one of the rail clamps was installed but the other 3 are missing so I'll be heading to the market place in the hope of finding some replacements.

Half the parts are still in sealed boxes and plastic bags apart from a plastic container full of miscellaneous parts. Cleaned off all the dust today but unfortunately without the rail clamps I can't put it together and use it. The suspense is killing me.
    Michael
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Welcome to one of the best forums on the Internet! Sounds like you found a great deal on your saw!

Be sure to PM Loring (lchien) and request the BT3100 FAQ. Lots of valuable advice in there.

Have fun (once you find the parts you need) and enjoy "The Little Saw that Could!"

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Welcome to the BT3 forum. Let us know if you can or can't find the parts.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

Welcome to our little group. You're bound to have loads of fun with your BT-3. Great place to share your woodworking ( or other) experiences. But remember the golden rule if you want to gloat-no pictures didn't happen
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

is it a 220V BT3100, one of those Australian BT's??

We have access to parts lists for the US versions, probably the mechanicals are the same.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-30-2014, 01:43 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Welcome aboard. That is a fine saw for very little. Happy to help when I can.
            Have some fun and stay safe.
            Lee

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

Welcome aboard! Be safe.
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• cray-
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2013
                • Perth, AUS

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I found this forum awhile back when I first stumbled upon a used BT for sale and was researching it. Already got the FAQ from Loring and found the Aus manuals and parts lists online. Yes it's the 240V Aus Spec BT3100K with all of the extras, casters, router mounting kit, blade inserts, etc.

I missed out on buying that saw as the seller sold it to someone else even though I had made arrangements to inspect. Learned a valuable lesson about Gumtree that day: first in with cash takes home the goods, no other rules apply. It was probably for the best, the asking price was AUD$400 (USD$370 currently) and I got mine for AUD$200!

My Dad is going to fabricate the Rail Holder nuts for me, I don't have a tap & die set in my arsenal just yet. We figured it would be faster, easier & probably cheaper than buying from the US and waiting for postage.

Pics will follow when I get a chance to lay it all out on the garage floor and start assembly. Looking at building it into an Ultimate Tool Stand style workbench along with my SCMS, but the legs and casters will be handy for the time being.
                Michael

Comment

• cray-
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Perth, AUS

What I came home with. Seems there might be a few parts that don't belong in the BT kit:

The aforementioned cosmetic damage. No rust on the blade or guts of the machine:

Just waiting on those rail clamps...
                  Michael

Comment

• jabe
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Hilo, Hawaii
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Welcome, great group of people here willing to help.

Comment

Working...