• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Harvest Moon

The moon was full last night, And at its perigee which is the closest point to the earth in its orbit. Took this picture with my new OM-D mirrorless compact system camera, and a Vivitar 400mm lens from my old OM 35mm system and a Lens mount adapter. I should have dug out the 2x teleconverter as I had to crop the picture somewhat. Anyway 1/200 sec f16, ISO 200. Tripod, of course.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-09-2014, 11:14 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now I can say I've mooned y'all.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nice one. Close to the professional ones I've seen.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Okay, that's some unwanted mental image...
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I've been MOONED!!! Ha ha, Great picture.

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Butt in the sky is wrecking our Northern Lights which are at a high right now, take your moon out of the sky and zip it up! LOL
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

You must be a lunar-tic. Nice photo. How do you think the new digi systems stack up against the old tried and true film systems. I know the old Olympus cameras were among the best of their era.
            Richard

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I can't believe you have such a big moon for such a small town......
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cork58
                Butt in the sky is wrecking our Northern Lights which are at a high right now, take your moon out of the sky and zip it up! LOL
                don't worry it'll be waning, at least until it waxes.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-16-2014, 07:49 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
                  You must be a lunar-tic. Nice photo. How do you think the new digi systems stack up against the old tried and true film systems. I know the old Olympus cameras were among the best of their era.
                  I loved my old OM system.
                  I had quite a bit of equipment including 2 OM1's and OM2 I got from my dad, and an OM-4T.
                  I had a suite of lenses including 28mm, 50, 75-150zoom, 28-200zoom, 135mm, 55mm macro, and 400mm
                  And a suite of macro equipment including bellows and extension tubes,
                  What I liked about the OM system was that all the equipment was designed to be smaller and lighter than the competition (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Canon) and it was quiet and smooth and exceedingly well designed from a system standpoint meaning that all the stuff worked together and didn't look like an afterthought.

What I like about the new Olympus "CSC" compact System Camera are some of the same things.
                  The other camera manufacturers have done for DSLRs is make full frame cameras that have the same sensor size as the 35mm film - about 1.5" x 1". The reason being that larger sensors though more expensive have quieter (less snowlike noise at dim light exposures) and better overall performance than the sensors in the point and shoot cameras many of which are .2 x .3"
                  Olympus Kodak and Panasonic made 4/3 sized sensors which were 30% smaller than full frame but 9 times bigger than those used in point and shoots.

Improvements in technology improve the performance of sensors all the time. This smaller size allowed the 4/3 DSLR cameras to be more compact than the competitions.

The next thing that Olympus and Panasonic did was to come up with the micro 4/3 (micro four thirds, sometimes M43 or MFT) format. The M43 used the same sensor but did away with the mirror. The camera body was thinned and shortened making the cameras way smaller than DSLRs. The LCD and the viewfinder show a live view off the sensor rather than an optical view as in DSLRs. Two amazing things happen with the lenses. One the lens covers a smaller area so the focal length effect compared to 35mm and other full frame DSLRs is doubled. Thus a 100mm lens on the micro four thirds is like a 200mm. Since the f-stop is related to the focal length / aperature smaller lenses are available with the same aperature. The second amazing this is the reduced flange to image distance is so short to allow adapters to put almost anybody's lens on your camera. Yes, I can mount current Nikon, Canon, Sony, leica lenses as well as virtually all vintage lenses from 35mm film cameras. That's a lot of fun because these 35mm lenses are out there real cheap now. Of course you give up autofocus and auto aperature features but there's a lot of classic glass on eBay.

The moon photo I took was with a Vivitar 400mm f5.6 lens with an OM system mount, I used a OM-M43 adapter and it became an equivalent 800mm for this picture.

At the bottom are some comparisons to a friend's Canon Rebel T3i with a comparable aspect zoom.

Needless to say, they are pretty capable cameras and I am kind of excited to have a system camera for the first time since I stopped using film. And able to use some of my old lenses, at that.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-16-2014, 08:14 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

Looks 100000x better than a plumbers moon....

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Yes, I can mount current Nikon, Canon, Sony, leica lenses as well as virtually all vintage lenses from 35mm film cameras. That's a lot of fun because these 35mm lenses are out there real cheap now. Of course you give up autofocus and auto aperature features but there's a lot of classic glass on eBay.

The moon photo I took was with a Vivitar 400mm f5.6 lens with an OM system mount, I used a OM-M43 adapter and it became an equivalent 800mm for this picture.

At the bottom are some comparisons to a friend's Canon Rebel T3i with a comparable aspect zoom.

Needless to say, they are pretty capable cameras and I am kind of excited to have a system camera for the first time since I stopped using film. And able to use some of my old lenses, at that.
                      Could you mount the OLD Canon FD lenses on your new camera? (Canon FD lenses were replaced by newer EOS lenses. I don't know if EOS are still being used or not.) Most of my older lenses are Canon FD's with a breech lock mount. That is the sole reason I have been looking at Canon DSLR's. The lens on yur friend's Canon may be an FD - I'm not sure in the photo. I'm impressed with the Olympus' size.

Interesting summary of sensors that you have presented here. I've been looking for this info for ages and have not been able to find it. Thanks.

One more question - how does the viewfinder in your new Olympus compare with the viewfinder in your friend's Canon (since it uses a different technology, wondering if there is a difference and is it better or worse)?
                      Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Could you mount the OLD Canon FD lenses on your new camera? (Canon FD lenses were replaced by newer EOS lenses. I don't know if EOS are still being used or not.) Most of my older lenses are Canon FD's with a breech lock mount. That is the sole reason I have been looking at Canon DSLR's. The lens on yur friend's Canon may be an FD - I'm not sure in the photo. I'm impressed with the Olympus' size.

Interesting summary of sensors that you have presented here. I've been looking for this info for ages and have not been able to find it. Thanks.

One more question - how does the viewfinder in your new Olympus compare with the viewfinder in your friend's Canon (since it uses a different technology, wondering if there is a difference and is it better or worse)?
                        here is the adapter... $22 at Amazon but I found three for under $10 on eBay. They're very simple, just like an extension tube as there will be no coupleing or electrical connectors. For lenses with couplings or electronics that get used, then the adapters go to about $40.

Google Wiki Four thirds for the article I got on the sensor sizes. Lots more there.

The live view is good, no delay. the advantages are its bright even when its pretty dim (electronics gain) and you can zoom to achieve fine focus. Two things you don't get with a mirror display. Still through the lens of course so you see depth of field and full framing. On the M43 full auto lenses the focusing is by wire, meaning the focusing rings, when you do manual focusing are electronic sensors sent to the camera and then to the lens motors. Old lenses, of course focus using the old mechanical couplings and autofocus is not available. The viewfinder eyepiece has a sensor, put your eye to it and it switches on and cuts off the LCD display.

Theres a forum subgroup dedicated to adapted lenses as they are called.

Using the M43 lens system are the Olympus OM-D series, and the Olympus PEN-E series and the Panasonic Lumix cameras.
                        Here's (from the forum) a Panasonic Lumix G2 with an adapter and a Canon FD 50mm f1.4

A quick look says there are Canon FD, EOS, and EF lens adapters to M43.

One advantage of the Olympus over the Panasonic is that the Olympus has image stabilization in the body so pay for it once and it benefits all attached lenses whereas the Panny has image stabilization in the lens so you have to buy it over and over again, and its only available for the new Lumix lenses.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-17-2014, 06:20 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

A quick look says there are Canon FD, EOS, and EF lens adapters to M43.

One advantage of the Olympus over the Panasonic is that the Olympus has image stabilization in the body so pay for it once and it benefits all attached lenses whereas the Panny has image stabilization in the lens so you have to buy it over and over again, and its only available for the new Lumix lenses.
                          The photo you provided in this msg actually shows a FD lens. That's what I have so many of. You have opened a whole new world for me. I may be looking at Olympus. I always held Olympus in great esteem with the other big 4 but my brother's trip to 'Nam brought me a Canon and I stuck with that system. Thanks for the info. One more question which your last statement sparked: If I use my FD lenses on the Olympus will image stabilization still work. I assume so since the stabilization tech is in the body and not the lens.

PS When did Panasonic and Olympus form an alliance. Not too long ago, Panasonic point and shooters was using lenses made by Leitz. (Another great company)
                          Last edited by phrog; 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM.
                          Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

The photo you provided in this msg actually shows a FD lens. That's what I have so many of. You have opened a whole new world for me. I may be looking at Olympus. I always held Olympus in great esteem with the other big 4 but my brother's trip to 'Nam brought me a Canon and I stuck with that system. Thanks for the info. One more question which your last statement sparked: If I use my FD lenses on the Olympus will image stabilization still work. I assume so since the stabilization tech is in the body and not the lens.

PS When did Panasonic and Olympus form an alliance. Not too long ago, Panasonic point and shooters was using lenses made by Leitz. (Another great company)
                            yeah, the image stabilization will still work. The autofocus won't and the aperture setting will be manual. So only the shutter automation will work.
                            Olympus, Kodak and Panasonic made up the 4/3 group. Oly and Panny make cameras now. Leitz/Leica design lenses for Panasonic (and are in fact labeled "Leica DG"). Leica has some m43 cameras that are body identical to Panny cameras but have different operating Software/firmware and a higher price tag.

Find a Lens,マイクロフォーサーズ, Micro Four Thirds, ミラーレス, Mirrorless, レンズ交換式カメラ, Interchangeable lens camera, フォーサーズ,Four Thirds System,フォーサーズシステム,Digital camera,デジタル一眼レフカメラ,lens,レンズ,イメージセンサー,Image Sensor, OM Digital Solutions, Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, OMデジタルソリューションズ, オリンパス, パナソニック, シグマ, フルサイズ, フルフレーム, full frame
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...