• Show
Clear All
  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

The Woodturning Demo

I once said that I'm very ugly and not many pictures of me survive. Today is no exception, there are no pictures of me.

Yesterday a few members of my woodturning group put on a demo at an area high school. There were 5 turners that participated and we showed Pen turning, Christmas Ornaments, Duck calls, Baseball Bat Pens, and I demonstrated turning a bowl. The day went very well and we had much fun. All of the students that were in the class had "hands on", turning at least 1 item that they were allowed to keep. The most heartwarming part of the whole day was a young lady who was petrified of the lathes and burst into tears when we told her it was her turn to make something.

Patients and encouragement abounded from the members of the group and before the end of the day..........Well............these pictures should tell the whole story.

What a happy girl. She conquered her fears and turned a pen and an Ornament!

It was a joy to show these young people the thing that I enjoy and a real kick to watch them realize that they to can turn wood. We have another demo tentatively scheduled for the spring and I'll be there.

Thanks for looking.

Mudder
  • GeekMom
    • Dec 2004
    • Bonney Lake, WA.
    • Shopsmith Mark V

What a wonderful opportunity for these young students! I hope you will continue teaching as well. That young lady is probably hooked on turning, now!
    Karen
    <><

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Great job Scott!I love having the opportunity to inspire kids that way.
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• kwgeorge
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Alvin, TX, USA.

You did good Scott.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Scott

That was well worth spending your time on. The youngsters may not allways appreciate the information they recieved from the class today but in years to come it will be appreciated.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...