• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

Hi guys I have been overweight all my life. I passed 200 pounds in grade school. I have been up to 450 pounds in the past and right now I am at my heaviest weight since I lost weight in the 1980's (450 down to 300) I hope this can help to get me on track to dropping some pounds. The best of luck to everyone, if we lose we will all be winners. Thanks

Regards Bob

Comment

• Neal
      Established Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
      Neal,

You should understand where I started... I spent the first third of my life terribly underweight, down right skinny! At 23, when I got married, I weighed only 117 lbs. and in my early 30's I was still only at about 135-140.

Then came the computer, and I found myself, for the first time in my life, SITTING. That led to eating too many snacks, just to keep from falling asleep. Unfortunately that snacking bled over to evening TV watching, etc.

By the late 90's I was up to 206 and saw a reflection of myself one day coming into a lobby where there was big mirror. That person sort of shocked me, as it simply wasn't the body that I was used to seeing or imagining myself to be.

Since then, I've been struggling to bring my weight down and not too successfully. My average weight prior to this past hospital experience has been fluctuating between 184 and 189. (That was the first time in my life that I've been in the hospital, and I don't want a repeat of that.)

Challenge now, and probably for many of us, is that I love to eat. I'm always grabbing for something, left overs, chips, that bowl of ice cream which I love, and two or three pieces of candy or cupcakes, every few hours during the day. My wife doesn't help much, as she loves to cook and bake, and I love that about her.

I'm 70 now, with Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure. Just having my weight drop below 190 has tremendously helped the diabetes and now that I'm below 180, my glucose levels are easier maintained and not fluctuating wildly. Skinny is still in my memory, but I never want to return to those that again. But, 165 or 170 would be nice, and I think that's achievable with out too much sacrifice.

CWS
      I certainly meant no offense, and hope you didn't take my post in that way. I battle my weight as well. It is hard for any of us to look back and go wow, that was me so many years ago. I'm sorry if I offended you. It sounds as if you are having some success and I wish you nothing but the best in the battle we all seem to face.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

No offense taken at all. My response was simply to explain why 177 lbs was considered too much by me, especially considering the weight that many of us are carrying. It really depends on how we feel about ourselves and what we are comfortable with.

Many of us carry weight that is 250-plus and might wonder why a person under that should be concerned at all. My response was simply meant to point out that in my head, I've always been thin... and in reality, that hasn't been the case in quite some time.

Much of anyone's weight is about their body's structure. Some of us are just big guys, with hefty arms and legs, big boned as it were. Not me, I'm pretty thin armed, with not much in the way of upper body strength, but I've got pretty muscular legs and thighs as I've always been a walker and spend a lot of time on my feet, but little time lifting anything particularly heavy. So with me, all the extra weight is around my middle... looking too much like a toothpick shoved through an olive.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm in a similar boat with several of you in that when I was young, I was scary skinny. Something happened before the computer, when I was in my late 20s that just more or less turned on the weight gain. I worked a fairly physical job for several of those years, even early in my IT career I spend most of my days deploying workstations, building racks, unloading trucks etc... It was physical...

The weight really came on in 3 phases...

#1. My first marriage was a depressing fiasco. I drank a LOT and ate a lot in a fools errand to deal with it. Things becoming bad was pretty obvious about the time the weight gain started. This also coincided with my move to Texas. The three best things that ever happened to me are ending things with my ex, getting the counseling I needed to get myself back, and finding my lovely bride...
          #2. A MAJOR car wreck in 2000 where I was stopped on IH45 NB by the IH610 overpass (loring will know it) with a broken down truck in front of me. The guy in the 85 Pontiac doing 75 MPH didn't even notice I was there... I have had major back problems since which has kept me out of a LOT of the activities that used to keep me thin (and otherwise fit).
          #3. My job got sedentary. In some ways good, in most ways bad... I miss the physical work.

At my weight I am DEEPLY concerned about cardiac issues, as well as the prospects of type 2 Diabetes and other complications. I have been dealing with multiple weight related health issues like Sleep Apnea, Plantars Fasciitis, and Acid Reflux.

I have been struggling to get this weight off for a good decade now, and I am getting frustrated by how unhelpful the doctors have been.

I am doing the one thing that has worked reliably for me over the years, I just need to figure out how to make it last, and that is low carb diet with exercise.

I did get the weight down to 275 right before Debi and I got married, but over the interim years, I dropped low carb in favor of Weight Watchers, which did fine until they switched to the points plus system that never worked for me... I have since gone back and am doing Atkins Induction phase but with a higher net carb than standard Atkins, with the supervision of a different PCP than my old one... Weight is now coming off...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Well I'm finally heading downward. The cookies are gone, no more ice cream, and I've somewhat succeeded in minimizing those 8:00 to 11:00 PM TV watching snacks... that has got to be the hardest part for me!

One thing I've noticed is that I'm now watching that scale quite closely... and surprisingly all my weight loss seems to come while I'm sleeping. For example, last night I weighed 177.4 lbs and this morning I showed 176. I check the scale two or three times to make sure. I've seen this pattern over several days.

I'm watching the scale closely so I can repeat the eating pattern if I'm showing a loss or do some cutting if I gain even a fraction. Problem for me is that I'm active, but not in a way that requires 'exercise' beyond my usual walking, stair climbing, daily routine. We'll just have to see how the coming days play out.

CWS

Comment

• Neal
              Established Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
              Well I'm finally heading downward. The cookies are gone, no more ice cream, and I've somewhat succeeded in minimizing those 8:00 to 11:00 PM TV watching snacks... that has got to be the hardest part for me!

One thing I've noticed is that I'm now watching that scale quite closely... and surprisingly all my weight loss seems to come while I'm sleeping. For example, last night I weighed 177.4 lbs and this morning I showed 176. I check the scale two or three times to make sure. I've seen this pattern over several days.

I'm watching the scale closely so I can repeat the eating pattern if I'm showing a loss or do some cutting if I gain even a fraction. Problem for me is that I'm active, but not in a way that requires 'exercise' beyond my usual walking, stair climbing, daily routine. We'll just have to see how the coming days play out.

CWS
              I had forgotten what my last weigh in was....I thought I had had minimal results last week. Turns out, it wasn't too bad. It must from the reduced weight of my wallet as I popped for a Festool OF1400 Router

It is easy for me to hit the elliptical machine this time of year. The Mrs. won't let me make sawdust in the garage so until the weather gets to be consistenly 50 or warmer, my hobby is on "ice." (lame joke, I know.)

So... this week I push to 20 minutes on the elliptical and will try to do it 4 days (MTR and one weekend day). I'm trying to get to 40 minute sessions by adding 5 minutes each week. I might just have to try to get back out on the streets running again (and hope my body can take the punishment).

Do any of you doing this have a "cheat day?" We cheat once per week. Normally we go out to eat on Saturday or Sunday and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what we consume. It also helps me to know that at some point coming up I can have a blizzard/pizza/French fries/baked potato/candy bar/whateveryummygoodyiwanttoeat.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Adding my 2 cents worth.

I had trouble gaining weight until my early 20's. I weighed less than 120 when I graduated HS. I'm 5'8", BTW. Once they removed my appendix, the battle of the bulge began.

A couple/three years ago, after a heart scare (muscle spasms in the chest), I was diagnosed as pre Type 2. Lost some weight, but have since put it back on with a few more pounds. I always weigh at the house wearing just my underwear and a t-shirt of some type, which rules out the weight of regular street clothes. My highest was about 237 after the holidays.

Had a pretty bad scare a couple of weeks ago. I had too many carbs after a day out with SWMBO and my younger son for his b'day. Driving home, had to let the wife drive, because I could barely stay awake. Blood sugar was probably through the roof.

Since then, I'm doing similar to Dave. Atkins' type, but not quite as strict on the carbs. So far, I'm down about 5 in 2 or 3 weeks.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Time to share what I've learned. Currently weight control is more important than actually losing although I would like to lose more. I just keep choosing exercise activities that don't play well with actively trying to lose weight. As I mentioned before a week ago I spent 10.5 hours on a bike trainer to raise money and achieve Knighthood. Now a week later I am 4 days into a 9 day virtual stage race with hard trainer efforts each day.

Now for what I have learned: I really do wish I would have heeded the Dr.'s advice years ago when I was flirting with diabetes. I have proven that I could have likely avoided it all together since I am able to control it with exercise and weight loss. The hardest part is finding exercise that just literally knocks your socks off. If you can find that, like I did with cycling, you will be well on your way to good health.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Bad news. Weight crept up this past week (was sick and didn't get to the gym or care what I was eating...).

Good news. Trying out a new PCP, who is running a pretty intense series of tests on me, and paying more attention to the actual symptoms... This practice came highly recommended from several colleagues that have come through some similar ailments. Hopefully I will be on the right track too...

One of the recommendations that this one, and another doc at the regular clinic recommended is the Paleo diet. I don't really know anything about it... Anyone doing that and if so, where can I get info on it? Doc has me digging up a specific book on it, but it won't be here for a few days...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                      Adding my 2 cents worth.

I had trouble gaining weight until my early 20's. I weighed less than 120 when I graduated HS. I'm 5'8", BTW. Once they removed my appendix, the battle of the bulge began.

A couple/three years ago, after a heart scare (muscle spasms in the chest), I was diagnosed as pre Type 2. Lost some weight, but have since put it back on with a few more pounds. I always weigh at the house wearing just my underwear and a t-shirt of some type, which rules out the weight of regular street clothes. My highest was about 237 after the holidays.

Had a pretty bad scare a couple of weeks ago. I had too many carbs after a day out with SWMBO and my younger son for his b'day. Driving home, had to let the wife drive, because I could barely stay awake. Blood sugar was probably through the roof.

Since then, I'm doing similar to Dave. Atkins' type, but not quite as strict on the carbs. So far, I'm down about 5 in 2 or 3 weeks.
                      I am having trouble with Atkins, sticking with it wise that is... Not cutting out the breads, but cutting out the fruits and veggies... Not saying taters or anything like that, but I don't want to worry how many carbs my broccoli or spinach has to it...

Doc is looking at some specific, uh... Over 35 year old guy imbalances as a possible source to the problem. Oddly enough, 33 - 35 is when the bulk of my weight just sort of piled on... I would sooooo love to be in the shape I was in at 30... I'd be on a canoe build tear, and then try to wear that out!

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

I also went up this week but I just realized that my normal weigh in day is Monday am which is 2 days after I am supposed to on the spreadsheet.

Yesterday morning being the day after Superbowl was not a good day for weighing anything other than empty beer bottles and snack bowls :-(
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

You've got that right. Not a good week for my weight at all, with a big family get together earlier in the week and just too many snacks around this past weekend. Discipline, discipline... NOT!

CWS

Comment

• Carpenter96
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • Barrie ON Canada
                            • BT 3000

When I was at my heaviest weight of 450 pounds I was also at my most active. I played hockey twice every week ran a 2 hour hockey school every week coach a hockey team and refereed 10 to 15 hockey games every week. Also my job was very active. The best I have done since then on Atkins but I basically had to stay close to the induction. This is hard to do when ever you are out because every thing in restaurants has some carbs in it. I have had some other problems recently that have precluded me doing heavy exercise and my crept up to the 385 Lbs. from 310 Lbs. I am trying to do a modified Atkins where I have vegetables but little or no fruit. Next week I am going to our International training center in Las Vegas so I will have to be careful about the choices I make. They have everything in buffet style. I guess admitting that I am the only thing stopping myself from succeeding.

Regards Bob

Comment

• Neal
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Fortunately, I'm finding some success. In large part, it stems from getting on that daggone elliptical machine and grinding for (this week) 25 minutes three or four times.

I have cut my calorie intake significantly from "pre holiday" levels. But there are challenges every day.

1. Beef. I like me some dead cow. Problem is it is not a low cal option.
                              2. Not much of a fish guy. Although I love shrimp, and have come to like Grilled Tuna (still figuring out how to cook it correctly though). Shellfish are fine in my book, but the gilled scaly things are difficult for me. That has been a real challenge.
                              3. Those periods in between actual traditional meals. I know the "experts" say you are supposed to eat 6 small meals per day as opposed to three, but my working schedule does not really accommodate that. So it requires me to grab 100-150 calories mid morning and mid afternoon, and before bed.
                              4. Fighting the desire to graze due to the winter boredom. My sawdust hobby gets put on ice from Mid November until about Mid March. I'm not "allowed" to make sawdust in the garage and the wife is pretty insistent on using it to store her vehicle during the colder weather. So that means I get to sit around most nights with my iPad or TV flickering at me trying to keep me entertained.

I'm having success though. Was down almost another 1lb this week.

Comment

• dbhost
                                Slow and steady
                                • Apr 2008
                                • League City, Texas
                                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Carpenter96
                                When I was at my heaviest weight of 450 pounds I was also at my most active. I played hockey twice every week ran a 2 hour hockey school every week coach a hockey team and refereed 10 to 15 hockey games every week. Also my job was very active. The best I have done since then on Atkins but I basically had to stay close to the induction. This is hard to do when ever you are out because every thing in restaurants has some carbs in it. I have had some other problems recently that have precluded me doing heavy exercise and my crept up to the 385 Lbs. from 310 Lbs. I am trying to do a modified Atkins where I have vegetables but little or no fruit. Next week I am going to our International training center in Las Vegas so I will have to be careful about the choices I make. They have everything in buffet style. I guess admitting that I am the only thing stopping myself from succeeding.

Regards Bob
                                Bob,

Not sure what you have looked into, but my Dr. has recommended the Paleo diet and shuffled a mess of books in front of me for it... Same thing the nutritionist is talking about...

The new doc I am seeing is running a snot load of tests considering the symptomology for hormonal imbalances / insensitivity to things like Thyroid, Testosterone, Cortisol etc... You may or may not be aware that the excess weight can throw your hormones off, causing more weight gain, throwing your hormones off, causing more weight gain... You get the picture...

Get in to see a doc, and if the one you are seeing can't / won't help you, find another one! I've been busting my hump on this that and the other diet for years, watching my energy and health slip more and more away while all the doctors have been able to tell me is "loose weight". Really? You need a PhD to tell me that? I am sick and (expletive) tired of being told what the symptoms are and addressing symptoms, without addressing the causes. The practice I am trying now came referred to me by a colleague (formerly at 425lbs and 5 foot 8, now 210lbs and going down) so I figure he's got to be on the right track...

Something else to consider with weight loss is not just the quantity, and type of food you consume, but also the quality / potential contamination of your food. My wife and I are going to considerable effort, and expense to convert to as much as possible, fully organic sourced foods. We have a grocery chain here in Texas named HEB that even though they are a mainstream grocer, they carry an extensive, and ever growing line of organic foods. And the customer response from what I am seeing has been remarkable. Prices are a bit higher than for non organic products, but I can tell the difference in flavors, as well as how I feel after eating them. For example organic uncured bacon never a problem with me, Regular bacon with all the nitrates and junk I would always get a headache after eating the stuff... Same goes with MSG... If organics is going to be part of your plan, take a look at your local mainstream grocer, Not sure where you are, but I know Safeway / Randalls, HEB, and Kroger all carry some, to a lot of organic choices. Smaller specialized grocers are well suited to this as well...

Oh, FWIW, a good Atkins friendly dinner option if you are needing ideas? Naked Parmesan Chicken Breasts with a greens salad and low carb dressing...

For 2 breasts thoroughly clean, and pat dry. Coat in mayo, or if you prefer Miracle Whip (2g net carbs) Liberally coat in Natural finely shredded parmesan cheese, bake at 350 deg F or until internal temp reaches 165 F.

Either make your own, or use your favorite Marinara sauce. I won't give out my special recipe for it, but I make my own, 2g net carbs for 1/4 cup.

I typically make my salads with Romaine, Spring Mix, and thin slices of sweet red onion. YMMV... Typically with all the greens, and the dressing, I come in around 2 to 3g net carbs...

Comment

Working...