• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Bill in Buena Park, and I , must be twins that were separated at birth. I use the EXACT same procedures for spindle turning.

But BiBP must have started out with a bigger lathe. One week after I bought my lathe, I went back and bought the 20" bed extension. After adding a 4-jaw chuck, and then needing a Jacobs chuck with bit in the tailstock, I had no room for a piece of wood! With the bed extension, I can turn tall peppermills and use long Forstner bits to bore them, and have space left over between the chucks.
    Last edited by lrr; 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM.
    Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Originally posted by MBG
      Bill - thanks for the step by step on the handles. What are your thoughts (for square bars) on making the handle of two pieces with void for the bar cut in the halves before glued.

Mike
      I was actually thinking about trying (read: experiment with) this the next time I have to mount another square shaft in a handle. Its a totally viable approach, but I'd have to try it to really form an opinion.

The dados in each side would be routed in with a straight bit, and that would potentially leave a little hemispherical "chamber" under the square end of the tool shaft - the shaft should epoxy in the same, just want to make doubly sure that there's enough epoxy to fill that chamber, secure the bottom of the shaft, and have enough to bond the shaft the entire length of the hole.

I tend to think I'd not be able to hide the glue line/grain mismatch caused by material lost to the saw kerf (but that might be an non-issue), so might want to put an accent strip in between to "pretty it up", but not sure I'd like it much unless I added another feature, such as Lee has done with his handles.
      Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Originally posted by lrr
        Bill in Buena Park, and I , must be twins that were separated at birth. I use the EXACT same procedures for spindle turning.

But BiBP must have started out with a bigger lathe. One week after I bought my lathe, I went back and bought the 20" bed extension. After adding a 4-jaw chuck, and then needing a Jacobs chuck with bit in the tailstock, I had no room for a piece of wood! With the bed extension, I can turn tall peppermills and use long Forstner bits to bore them, and have space left over between the chucks.
        Lee,
        I would have had the same issue. Within a month of owning my 1018 lathe, I went out and bought the extension bed as well, giving me a little over 38in capacity between the centers. The HF34706 I just added has ~34 inches out of the box (acquired for bowl work primarily), but I'll likely keep using the 1018 for spindles.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Originally posted by capncarl
          Good write up Bill in Buena Park!
          I especially like your use of credit cards to clean up glue. Finally a sensable use for them that won't get you in trouble.
          capncarl
          Cap,
          Many years ago I learned to live debt free and without credit from a fellow by the name of Dave Ramsey. I can't agree more this is the best use of the plastic, along with use as a glue applicator, epoxy mixer, accent material for segmented pens, guitar picks...
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• MBG
            • Apr 2003
            • Chicago, Illinois.
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
            I was actually thinking about trying (read: experiment with) this the next time I have to mount another square shaft in a handle. Its a totally viable approach, but I'd have to try it to really form an opinion.

The dados in each side would be routed in with a straight bit, and that would potentially leave a little hemispherical "chamber" under the square end of the tool shaft - the shaft should epoxy in the same, just want to make doubly sure that there's enough epoxy to fill that chamber, secure the bottom of the shaft, and have enough to bond the shaft the entire length of the hole.

I tend to think I'd not be able to hide the glue line/grain mismatch caused by material lost to the saw kerf (but that might be an non-issue), so might want to put an accent strip in between to "pretty it up", but not sure I'd like it much unless I added another feature, such as Lee has done with his handles.

After reading your response I'm thinking round hole is simpler and much faster to produce. I recently made a couple of handles, my first, for a Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge, and 3/8" detail gouge (stealth gloat) and bored the holes on the lathe and they came out great.

Mike

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Originally posted by MBG
              ...Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge, and 3/8" detail gouge (stealth gloat)...
              Thompson - nice! "Welcome to a new level of professional wood turning tools"
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...