• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

BT3 used in magazine article

I tripped over this article which was posted in Pinterest. Looks like he is using a BT3 to make raised panel doors, and has some interesting methods which are pictured and detailed very well. Some of the newcomers to this site might could gain some insight to the versatility of this machine. Maybe this link will work
    Cabinet shops that turn out raised-panel doors use heavy-duty shapers and cutters, or a router-table setup that includes a range of expensive bits. You can also make raised-panel doors with a portable tablesaw. A veteran cabinetmaker shows you how to build a Shaker-style cabinet door.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Looks like a good article, but the links to the remaining pages doesn't seem to work though. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Works in Chrome.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

Links not working

in IE10 as well. Would like to see more of this article.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I couldn't get to the last page but I know where it is going. I've built cabinet doors this way and did something similar to make new interior passage doors for our house in Pittsburgh roughly 20 years ago. To bevel the panels, I put a high fence on the rip fence, a board around a foot wide, and made a customer zero clearance insert for the saw blade, moved the rip fence to the left side of the blade and tilted the blade. Cut the end grain first and then the long grain. It works and if you have a steady hand and a sharp blade it works pretty well. But you will still have quite a bit of sanding to do. But you can have a wider beveled edge doing it this way than you can with a router table.

I prefer the router table including for the cope and stick cuts because it is quicker and easier, at least to me. Raising a panel on a router table involves multiple passes but leaves a surface requiring less sanding if you make the last pass a light one. But if you want to try making a door without investing in a bunch of equipment, this will work.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

It must have been something this morning, the links are working okay now. I'm using Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome.

I don't like the way the handled the bevel cut on the panel. Just sort of setting the blade at an angle, and running the stock against a straight board.

I made a simple raised panel for when I built the shelving in my library. Just sort of a Quaker-like style of bevel. Since I didn't feel at all comfortable doing this kind of thing on my BT, I decided to build a jig that utilizes the SMT. It keeps my hands well out of the way, and provides a good platform for securing the stock as it passes through the blade path. Anyone interested, I can post some pictures.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Condoman44
              Established Member
              • Nov 2013
              • CT near Norwich
              • Ryobi BT3000

I believe this is the entire article:
              Attached Files

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I like a taller fence when cutting the bevel. My normal fence is taller than this and I went higher back when I raised panels this way.

FWW ran quite a favorable small review of the BT3000 when it first came out and cost over $500. It was near the back of an issue. I think I still have it in a box somewhere.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I made a jig that straddles my rip fence to cut these angles, it has about 1/4" perch for the wood to sit. A couple of clamps and my hands are safe. If the rip fence is exactly parallel to the blade the cut needs very little sanding.
                  cqpncarl

Comment

Working...