• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watosh66
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2004
    • FL.

Switch Problem BT 3100

I've owned the BT 3100 for over 14 years but I am continually having a swich problem with this saw. The first switch fused together after a few years and by reading up on the problem I jusy moved the wires to the other terminals. It eventually fused and I ordered an new switch thru a 3rd parter vendon. That one failed.

I then contaced Ryobi and a Wayne Hill provided me with a new improved switch. Well that one failed and the terminals are fused together.

Is there some type of electrical problem with the saw?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

It is possible that you are not supplying the required voltage to your saw which can cause the contacts to arc. Do you keep your saw plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit without the use of an extension cord that is wired with the correct gauge wire? I would advise that you contact Wayne again. I'd not be surprised if he sends you a second replacement switch.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

+1 about the required voltage.

If you can check your voltage at the saw as it is running under a load, I believe you'll find your problem. It's easy to do, but I advise you to have some body who knows how to test voltage without getting hurt.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Four switches! that must be a record. I don't really think its anything to do with the voltage being low or anything like that although it wouldn't hurt to check.

The original BT3100 switch failing was that the spring wasn't stiff enough to pull the contacts apart when they were lightly welded together when power was cut off. And the plating was not sufficient to prevent welding (which is the exchange of some metal molecules when the current was interrupted under a inductive load.

Your first three events are probably explainable as they were all the old switch design. The new switch that Ryobi sent you in response to your call to Wayne Hill should have fixed this though.

Here's what I would do:
        Consider the first 3 as a consequence of the old design.
        Consider the last event with the updated switch as a fluke. I've been here on the forum as long as anyone and I just don't hear of the new switches failing in the old way.
        Call W Hill again and ask for a new switch because you have this old saw, the switch stuck and and give the serial number. I wouldn't mention the previous call or the previous switch, just ask for a switch because you heard they had problems. It's unlikely that they will check their previous callers, they'll just verify if the serial number is in the date range. If somehow they do ask, just tell the it failed in the same way again. Just tell them the facts if they ask but don't volunteer any more info than necessary. I don't think that's wrong.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-12-2014, 02:34 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

After going through my 3rd switch and having taken them apart to repair them I changed to one of these. I wish I had done it much earlier as besides the fact they work its much safer with the off paddle. Yes its $30 but with one of Rockler's frequent discount offers its not too bad.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

Working...