• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Flip top tool cart questions

I want to build a flip top tool cart for my planer and Ridgid OSS combo.

I bought a 1/2" steel rod for the axle but now I'm thinking I should get a threaded rod instead so I can capture the uprights from the outside with nuts. With just the smooth rod, there's nothing to prevent the uprights from spreading apart except for the upright to base connection. I have seen some designs that brace the uprights to the base but I wanted a more open design.

Maybe I've answered my own question.

My major concern with the threaded rod is that the threads will gouge the wood as I spin the top over and over.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

A decent hardware store should have bushings with 1/2" ID and some specified OD like 5/8". They could be used to protect the wood from the threads.
    JR

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

flip flop tool cart questions

Here is an idea for that question. You could get a large diameter
      washer with a hole sized to match the axle size, then bore a hole maybe
      1/2" to 3/4" from the end of the axle, slide on the washer up close to the vertical side support and insert a removable hitch pin ( safety type pin) in the hole. That would give you a secure axle on which the table can rotate, and
      also a good way to remove the axle at a later date if you want or need to
      make changes to the flip top cart. That is the way I made mine and I'm
      glad now that I did.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Ahh, the old tricycle axle trick.

It may just as easily, want to lean inward. You want keepers to be on both sides of the cart sides.

You can use all thread with nuts and washers of course.
        Smooth rod can be used as Eezlock mentioned with pins.
        You can also lock down both sides of smooth rod in some small cheap pillow blocks or even bore a hole through the shaft on both end and pin it to the top of the sides.
        If you have a cradle shape formed to the rod, it would stay in place that way too.
        Consider using close fitting conduit or pipe in the shelf that holds that machines. Run it all the way through and you can add grease in there.
        It will surely spin easily then.
        Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by eezlock
          Here is an idea for that question. You could get a large diameter
          washer with a hole sized to match the axle size, then bore a hole maybe
          1/2" to 3/4" from the end of the axle, slide on the washer up close to the vertical side support and insert a removable hitch pin ( safety type pin) in the hole. That would give you a secure axle on which the table can rotate, and
          also a good way to remove the axle at a later date if you want or need to
          make changes to the flip top cart. That is the way I made mine and I'm
          glad now that I did.
          Good idea. Standard twist bits were sufficient to bore the hole?

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Standard steel rod is pretty mild stuff. Should drill pretty easily. Center punch where you want the hole and use maybe an 1/8" drill bit to pilot, then size for your pins.
            Lee

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Whether you use steel rod or all thread, I would add bronze bushings to all 4 pivot points (rotating table and case). Might be over kill, but there is a lot of weight involved, especially with the planer, that could cut into the wood.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Pappy
                Whether you use steel rod or all thread, I would add bronze bushings to all 4 pivot points (rotating table and case). Might be over kill, but there is a lot of weight involved, especially with the planer, that could cut into the wood.
                Any idea where to get those bushings? Would prefer a local source vs mail order because of shipping. HD was a bust; I'm going to assume Lowes will be, too.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

I built a flip top for my DW735 five years ago. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39913

I didn't use any bearings, bushings, pins, etc. I haven't had a problem at all. I did capture the rod within the sides when I added the top trim that went across the rod holes.

This photo was when I was marking the rod for cutting. http://www.alr6x6.com/coppermine/dis...221&fullsize=1 I had the top in place and some nylon spacer washers between the uprights and the top. Some trim pieces (by design) covered the holes later.

I waxed the holes in the uprights before final assembly and have not had any issues at all over the last five years.

I don't think threaded rod would be a good idea.
                  Erik

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

I built something similar to pelligrini several years ago no bushings bearings just captured the rod in the structure... Been using it with no problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• greenacres2
                      • Dec 2011
                      • La Porte, IN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                      Any idea where to get those bushings? Would prefer a local source vs mail order because of shipping. HD was a bust; I'm going to assume Lowes will be, too.
                      Our local Ace hardware has a great assortment of brass bushings in the hardware bins. The closest Lowes has a great selection of bin hardware--not far from where the cabinet hardware is. Don't know if they would have brass bushings or not--but at a 30 mile round trip i'd mail order if that was my only choice.

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

my guess is that you won't be turning it enough times to warrant a bushing or bearing.
                        Using All thread does wear hard on the wood though.
                        if you use a 1/2" rod there are several ways of keeping it in place around a buklhead.
                        1. use cotter pins in a hole drilled thru the rod on either side of the bulkead.

2. use a "hitch pin" HD has these for $.56

3. Make your own hitch pin by bending some solid wire (coat-hanger)
                        4. Make or buy a bushing - ID=1/2", OD can be 3/4 to 1", length of 1/2" Drill a hole in the side for a set screw to hold it in place on the rod. You can probably buy metal bushings or I would imagine you could make a wood bushing that would stay in place, esp. if you drilled a receiver hole in the rod for the set screw.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yeah, I'm going to forego the bushing. I already picked up the hitch pin and washers. Now I just need to build the dang thing and buy some casters.

I'm really looking forward to 1) ditching the crappy HTC Portamate mobile base under the planer 2) being able to easily access my Ridgid OSS and 3) using up more sheet goods I want to clear out of the shop.

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Large cotter pin ;-)
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• wardprobst
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                              • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                              Bearing supply house would have them.
                              DP
                              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...