• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raffi
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • CA, USA.

Hey HVAC Guys!

I do some volunteer work with the local youth baseball league where I live.

The exhaust vent for the snack bar has a squirrel cage fan blade, attached to a motor with a drive belt.

Unfortunately the squirrel cage broke where the shaft connects to it and I can't for the life of me find a proper replacement.

It is likely very old, and it attaches to a pulley with a shaft so it is unique enough that I just can't find a match or anyone who can help us figure it out.

I've looked at exhaust vent fan replacements but they run $400 and north and the league just does not have the budget for them.

I've seen some attic exhaust fans at the Home Depot - I could rig up a way to attach one to the "chimney", or whatever the thing is properly called, would it be strong enough to pull out the air from the snack bar, or am I off base here.

Thanks in advance.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Can you figure out how many CFMs the existing fan was moving? You should try to at least match that for your replacement.

Maybe you could remove the squirrel cage fan and put something like this fan in-line with your duct work. I don't see why you couldn't even connect the wires to your existing contacts so you can use the same switch to turn it on/off.

I don't know, however, how it will hold up to grease, etc.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

If it is over a grill or something similar, then specific considerations may be needed. I would think it needs to be an explosion proof motor. Typical AC squirrel cage motors from furnaces don't have that type.
      Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

If you have much heat from a fryer or furnace I believe the motor is on the outside of the duct, as well as the bearings, so just any exhauster may not work. Depends on the application.

Comment

• Raffi
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • CA, USA.

The vent is on the roof, but I too am concerned that the fan being in the ductwork would be too hot and burn out the motor quickly or be a hazard.

That said, it is 10-15 feet away from the grill surface.

Comment

• downtheroad
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007
            • So. California
            • Ryobi BT3000

My sister-in-law's family owned a restaurant and the roof-mounted squirrel-cage blower was 16" dia. You could check an industrial supply like Grainger's for replacement parts.

Grainger's link
            Tony

Comment

Working...