• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Oval Shaped Hole

I'm going to be making a nutcracker in which I need to make a closed (not all the way through) oval shaped hole in a small block of wood. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. Thought about making two overlapping holes and clearing the material between but wonder if there is an easier or better way. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Richard
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would say a lot depends on the following factors:
    • Diameter of the hole
    • Thickness of the material
    • Aspect ratio of the holes, e.g. the amount of overlap, at some point it becomes a slot
    • Ends to be perfectly round or kind of pointy (true oval or more eccentric or ellipse egg shaped)

techniques include
    • overlapping holes with a drill press and fence (can be difficult if the overlap is small, the bit tends to flex and fall off the side)
    • Drilling one starting hole and possibly the end hole and slotting on a router table with end stops (works well if your hole is a standard slotting router bit diameter
    • drill a hole and file patiently (got to be big enough for the file)

I just read again. I see you want a closed end hole. More things: How large a diameter, whats the aspect and does the bottom need to look nice or will it be hidden?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-12-2014, 01:11 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

Not easier, esp. for a one off build, but to give the smoothest finish, make a template and use your router with an edge guide.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you have several, jdon is right, a template and a router will give you nice consistent holes.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

The hole is 1 3/8" at its widest and 1 1/2" at its longest. Sorry, I should have stated that earlier. It has to be smooth on all internal walls. The bottom can be flat. It is an ellipse. The hole is where the nuts are inserted and a large screw mechanism comes up from the lower internal wall to crack the nut. Will post photo later.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by phrog; 10-12-2014, 06:12 PM.
          Richard

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

If you have a mill type vice you can easily stretch a holein the drill press. Done in small steps it is not hard on the drill Chuck. Then run it back and forth to clean out the Spurs. Harbor freights vices are fine for the job and you will find many uses for this vice. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	786932

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
              If you have a mill type vice you can easily stretch a holein the drill press. Done in small steps it is not hard on the drill Chuck. Then run it back and forth to clean out the Spurs. Harbor freights vices are fine for the job and you will find many uses for this vice. [ATTACH]19770[/ATTACH]
              I have a HF mill vise (I think it is the one you have pictured.). But I'm not sure what you mean by "stretch a hole."
              Richard

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Start the hole where you want it, index the vice to the desired end of the hole and drill it. Chuck up a straight router bit and clean up the long sides using the mill vice x or y screw, just like your drill press was a horizontal milling machine.
                capncarl

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Start the hole where you want it, index the vice to the desired end of the hole and drill it. Chuck up a straight router bit and clean up the long sides using the mill vice x or y screw, just like your drill press was a horizontal milling machine.
                  capncarl
                  Thanks.
                  Richard

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Make a template using a ellipse jig. There are several on the market. Or if you don't want to buy one you can build your own. Just search for router ellipse jig. I have one from microfence.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

capncarl
                      I guess the key is the router bit... drill bits don't like to cut on the side.
                      You also have to be careful about too much side load... if I load mine too much it makes the drill chuck fall off the tapered spindle.

I guess the router bit should turn as fast as you can make the DP go... 3000 RPM? THat's still much slower than you get with a router (usually 20,000 RPM with a 1/2" straight bit)?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Jessi, I'm not sure you would even have to make an ellipse shaped jig, a rectangle box may create a desirable hole with a large router bit, considering it is only going to be 1 3/8".
                        Lchien, I have fairly good luck with router bits but you are correct that you do not want to put much side load on the drill. For clean up of the slot, if it is a large enough slot, I use a small sander drum. I think I have a 3/4" drum with a 1/4" shaft. With this mill/drill set up I can cut mortise slots in table legs.
                        Capncarl

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

J
                          Lchien, I have fairly good luck with router bits but you are correct that you do not want to put much side load on the drill. For clean up of the slot, if it is a large enough slot, I use a small sander drum. I think I have a 3/4" drum with a 1/4" shaft. With this mill/drill set up I can cut mortise slots in table legs.
                          Capncarl
                          I was under the impression that putting a side load on a DP would put great strain on the bearings. Therefore, side loads are to be avoided. Guess it depends on the load from what you'all are saying.
                          Richard

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

I was worried about the side load as well, but now you see a lot of sanding drums and other drill press attachments that puts a lot of load on the spindle. A couple years ago I graduated from a drill press to a bench top milling machine for my metal working but I still use it for wood although the spindle speeds are slower.
                            Capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

So practically speaking, you just want the nut to fit in a hole, right? And I guess it's just oval to more closely match the shape of the nut, right? Making the hole oval doesn't make it crack nuts any better, does it?

I would probably make the hole bigger or just overlap two holes to approximate the oval and then clean up the sides with a chisel.

Comment

Working...