• Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Track Saw options

Hello,

I haven't been around in a while. Last week, my trusty B&D circular saw that was probably about 40 years old quit working. It was a good, old saw - very HEAVY, nice big, flat base plate. With a straight edge guide, it did a great job breaking down a lot of plywood. (I replaced the brushes, no luck.)

I have a basement shop and am working on finishing the rest of the basement, so dust collection is very important.

I have an old Skilsaw CS for rougher construction work, but I need a good CS for cutting plywood. I've pretty much decided that a track saw is the best solution for me, but budget is definitely a factor.

I can easily justify the Grizzly track saw, and could possibly push up to the Makita or Dewalt if they are significantly better - but Festool is definitely out of range. Has anyone used the Grizzly and another brand of track saw for a comparison?

I welcome your opinion. Thanks!
    Bill
  • marc82much
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2014

Track Saw

I own and use the EurekaZone system. Highly recommended...

Comment

• stoli
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2002
      • Tucson, AZ.

Get over to festoolusa.com. They are have a reconditioned sale. There have been numerous TS55's available for 40% off, coming to something like $350. There are none available now, but the list will update sometime on Monday.

Comment

• Condoman44
        Established Member
        • Nov 2013
        • CT near Norwich
        • Ryobi BT3000

Makita

I have had the Makita SP6000 with two 55" rails, the Makita clamps & rail connector kit for 4 years now. I wish I had it long before.

The only complaint at the time was the cord was to short. I fixed that by taping a dedicated 6' cord to the existing one.

I paid just under $400 for the entire package. The rails & clamps are the same as Festool.

This tool with the plywood cutting platform I made are perfect for the door replacements, cabinet & drawer projects I have done.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

The Grizzly has been reviewed here and I think one magazine did a recent review. I do remember one review that was biased a few years ago (Festool didn't meet the price range requirements, but was reviewed because the publisher said they are a advertiser). The Makita I have read some positive comments on but all of this has to be justified by how much your going to use it.
          I have had the EZ system since 2004, but they are not a track saw system. They have only recently come out with a saw, and it is just a circular saw, not the long promised, long overdue (promised by the end of 2012) "TRACKSAW". They are a tool track system. (not the same thing) I like the EZ tracks, but am not a Dino fan, after being lied to multiple times (banned from that forum from it and bringing it to their attention).
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

I went with the dewalt system, and use it on a double Festool MFT top cutting table. Very happy with the track saw.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I have the DeWalt with the 102 and 55 inch tracks. I highly recommend them. I also have the quick acting clamps which I use for precision cuts. Dust collection is great. Cuts are very smooth and accurate. Cord is nice and long. Case is good quality.

You might want to watch the Wood Whisperer review of the Festool and DeWalt. He says he likes the Festool a little better but didn't find anything it did better than the DeWalt.

I'm sure that the Makita and even the Grizzly are nice tools but the DeWalt is good enough you will not second guess yourself.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                • Dec 2005
                • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                • Grizzly G1023SL

I have the Grizzly with the kit that includes the clamps etc... I have two tracks but usually only need one. I am very satisfied with the tool and the price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                Bade Millsap
                Bulverde, Texas
                => Bade's Personal Web Log
                => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

Thank you for all of your insight. It sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the brands. I guess it comes down to "soul-searching" to determine if the bells & whistles are worthwhile for my usage.
                  Bill

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

With the festool recon going on now I'd go with a recon ts55req. I upgraded my ts55eq and aside from a small scratch on the systainer it was hard to tell it was a recon.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I've had the Scheppach (same saw as the grizzly) for over a year and haven't had any issues. It's available on Amazon for ~$215 shipped, with 2 25 inch rails.

I did buy 2 Dewalt track clamps, those that come with the saw are toys.

Ken

Comment

• Condoman44
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2013
                        • CT near Norwich
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Dewalt Clamps

I justt got the Dewalt clamps for use on my Makita track. They appear to be well made and will be easier than the two handed Makita clamps. $38 from Amazon for 2.

Comment

• Neal
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                          • Ryobi BT3000

I have the grizzly and have used it quite a bit over the summer. I have the two 55" rails and then I was able to find a third one which I cut to 24" and 31" for smaller pieces.

The key with the grizzly seems to be the blade. The stock blade is purportedly not very good. I purchased the Olshlun blade on Amazon and it has been very good handling things like MDF and maple plywood with minimal to no splintering.

I used it to build an ultimate tool stand, and four large floor to ceiling cabinets for my garage.

One thing I have found useful is a 4x8 sheet of the 1 1/2" foam insulation board to use a backer.

For the price paid, the Grizzly has been a fantastic value for me.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

I've used a few tracksaw systems and they all seem overly complicated to me. I am personally a die-hard sawboard fan. Google the term if you aren't familiar. For me, it is much faster and easier for me to line up my sawboard to make a cut than it is to use the tracksaw systems.

I made one several years ago that takes my circular saw on one edge and my router on the other for making dados. I use it all the time.

Dust collection is certainly a weakness, so weather permitting I do sheetgoods outside. Easier to handle them outdoors anyway.

Just my $0.02.
                            Doug Kerfoot
                            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• lrr
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Fort Collins, Colorado
                              • Ryobi BT-3100

The Festool tracks are pretty simple to use. Just set them down on the cut line, and make your cut. You do not have to clamp them, they have an anti-slip strip on the bottom. I'm guessing the other brands are similar.

The best part of using my track saw is having beautifully smooth, tearout-free edges on both the top and bottom of the cut.
                              Lee

Comment

Working...