• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

If it has to have a flat bottom, make it in 2 pieces. Cut the oval hole using atcgpauls suggestion/cut between the holes with a jigsaw, clean up the sides really good and glue the bottom on.
    capncarl

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      So practically speaking, you just want the nut to fit in a hole, right? And I guess it's just oval to more closely match the shape of the nut, right? Making the hole oval doesn't make it crack nuts any better, does it?

I would probably make the hole bigger or just overlap two holes to approximate the oval and then clean up the sides with a chisel.
      I should have been more specific in my OP. (Or posted a better photo.) The nutcracker is made like a caricature man with mouth opened wide to receive the uncracked nut. The size and shape of the nut is a secondary consideration but the hole is large enough to accommodate most nuts. The oval is necessary to make the man look like he is straining to get the nut in his mouth. The two hole deal was my original thought on how to do this. Sorry I wasn't more clear to begin with and thanks for your suggestion.
      Richard

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
        If it has to have a flat bottom, make it in 2 pieces. Cut the oval hole using atcgpauls suggestion/cut between the holes with a jigsaw, clean up the sides really good and glue the bottom on.
        capncarl
        The body of the nutcracker is a cylinder with the hole cut in the side (think little man with a bellybutton). Therefore, I think it would complicate things even more to half the cylinder down its length. Otherwise, that would be a great way to do it. Thanks for the suggestion.
        Richard

Comment

Working...