• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Finally Home

Got my release from the rehab hospital yesterday. Glad to be home but still a long way to go to be fully functional. Making a pot of coffee this AM was an ordeal. I will need a walker for a while and the illoscopy bag is going to be a pain to take care of. Activities will be limited.

Go back to see the surgeon, my gastro, and my primary in 2 weeks. Will know after that if/when they can go back in to reconnect the intestine to the colon and get rid of the bag. Hopefully that will be done laproscopically with a shorter recovery time and I can go back to work. Still don't plan to retire until next Oct unless I have to go out earlier.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Pappy,

Welcome back home. Take it easy and get back back into the swing of things. I wouldn't worry about work for awhile..

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Well, being out of the hospital is a big step.
      It's going to be a while until things are the new normal.
      Glad you are home. Best of luck to you!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Good luck, Pappy. I know what you're going through - my brother went through the same thing a number of years ago. The surgeons were able to reconnect his. Hope the same thing works out for you. Will be praying for your continued recovery.
        Richard

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Glad to hear you are home and recovering. I pray the the docs can get everything hooked again and you get back to being fully functional. This getting older and having surgery and issues is no fun. Take care and follow the Doc's orders. Using a walker is a pain. I had to use one for 2 month after my Abdominal Aneurism repair because the also had to fix the arteries in my legs to complete the Aneurism repair. How is you wife doing? know she has had a pretty rough time this year also.

Tom

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Glad you are back home Don ... that makes recovery soooo much better! Best wishes for continued improvement.
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

Wishing you a speedy recovery, get well soon.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                • BT3000 (1998)

Don

Glad to hear that you are home and hopefully you will start feeling better everyday. Wish you speedy and full recovery.
                Turaj (in Toronto)
                "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• trungdok
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • MA

Glad you made it. To a speedy recovery.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

I've been off of this forum for the most part for the past few weeks, and missed this whole ordeal. But I"m glad you're home and hope you recover quickly.

Comment

• JeffW
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
                      • BT3100

Don, Glad to here you are doing better. Old age sux.
                      Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by JeffW
                        Old age sux.
                        Can I get an AMEN on that! Old age sure as **** ain't for wimps....

I take naproxen to control the swelling of the 2 bad discs in my lower back and the 3 in my neck. I was off of it most of the time I was hospitalized but it is starting to kick in and help. Finally able to walk upright so maybe I can start getting some small project done.

Ginger stayed with me at the hospitals the whole time and my son was bringing her clean clothes. Had 12 loads of laundry to wash and I got that all done (when the last load is folded and put away today). Need to go through the piled up mail and catch up my check register today.

Tomorrow I am going to try to start modifying the ramps to load her wheelchair on the Harley trailer and finish the mold for the fiberglass fenders. Still not ready to try any woodworking, but soon on a small utility project I have been thinking about since I have been down.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Amen, brother, glad to see you are starting to get going again. Take it easy and build up you strength and stamina.

This was a rough summer with some family issues and some health issues, nothing as serious as your though. Kind of glad falla here maybe the change in seasons will help. I am doing good now but man the aging thing is a pain. You just don't bounce back like we used to.

Tom

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Praying for a speedy recovery, and sorry it took me so long to get back on this....
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

Don,
                              Welcome back home, I'm sure you'll feel a lot better in familiar surroundings.
                              I held off responding to your posts as having been through the same thing about 20 years ago, discussions about being bagged are the last thing you want to hear about.
                              Just take it easy and don't beat yourself up over the bag. Think about all the money you're saving by not having to buy toilet paper.
                              Having a bag was a major bummer and the depression was awful.
                              Luckily, there are support groups for people in our condition, I starting to go to one, and it did make things easier. But getting put back together erased all the awful memories of getting sick.
                              Just stay calm and remember the bag will go away and you'll be back to your normal(?) self.
                              if you feel like talking to someone whose been there, message me and I'll give you my phone #. Believe me, it does help. And I'll be home for next several weeks as I broke my right ankle and unlike breaking the left one a few years ago, I can't even drive.
                              Feel better and if you get bummed out, talk to you doctor about getting something for depression, it really helps and there's noting to about it to feel uncomfortable about.

Bruce
                              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...