Kitchen cabinet toe-kick strip - what's the cheapest?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Very interesting; more so that both of you posted that almost simultaneously!

The height is less than 5", so we might have laminate to match. Thanks!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Laminate would certainly work well enough; but, I personally wouldn't use it.

First off, it's much harder to work with than wood stock, especially seeing that you'll have to rip it to the correct width. Second, it's in relatively short pieces, so unless your base cabinet area is pretty short, you'll have to have some vertical seams here and there. Third, while I think it would be durable enough I would be concerned with water. Remember, unlike using it for flooring, you'll be setting an edge along the existing floor and you'll need to make sure that edge is properly sealed.

It is correct that the 'kick board' provides no structural strength to the base cabinets overall, it does (or at least 'can') provide structural endurance to the the actual base of the cabinets. Not knowing how your cabinets are made of course, but I've seen cabinets where the base is nothing more than chip board.

With that consideration, an old base which has been subject to damage from wet mopping, spills, overflowing sinks or a leaky dishwasher can be seriously weakened. A solid wood 'kick board' provides a durable protector against 'kicks'. A thin sheet of most of the mentioned materials would not, IMHO.

With regard to the dishwasher area, I did not close that in when I installed my kick board. I treated that area just like I did with the oven range. In the event that the dishwasher needs service or replacement, the kick board doesn't have to be removed.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I talked to my neighbor. Looks like paintability is most important for her. So we settled on good old pine, for a total cost of under $20.

I should be able to find time this weekend to remove the old stuff and put this in.

As for the dishwasher, does not look like anything's leaking currently, and she does not recall any in the past. Wonder if I'll discover anything when I pull it out fully.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

Working...