• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Law & Order

For those who recall this thread with the first turned component, I finally got around to finishing the handle and the soundblock. This is my first gavel, and it was a fun project. This style is really more of a speaker's gavel, and I will likely make a few more as gifts to colleagues. This one is solid cherry, as is the sound block. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I meant to include dimensions - so here they are: 10.5 inches in total length (head + handle); head length - 3.5 inches; head diameter - 2 inches; soundblock diameter - 3.5 inches.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

nice looking work. Sure to make some judge or speaker happy.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Very nice, Bill. What kind of finish did you use?
        Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Loring, Richard, thanks for your kind words.

Richard, I used BLO to try to bring some grain out of this otherwise grainless cherry, and enhance the contrast between heartwood/sapwood on the head, then finished with shellac.

The project also got me to use the jumbo face jaws that came with my PSI economy chuck, to produce a little hollow underneath the soundblock (like a little platter), which is supposed to enhance the sound quality. I liked the jaws, and will likely use them more often for bowls and such instead of just my screw chuck and dovetail jaws.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Very nice, I think on of those might get our 2 year old granddaughter attention. Then again attention and listening are two very different things.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...