• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Template routing question

I've done template routing with a flush trim bit, but not to mate two pieces. Please check my work.

I want to join these two boards (green and yellow) at a right angle. Ignore grain direction, joinery, etc.

Using a router template, I want to cut away the section of the green board overlapped by the yellow board using a template made of 1/2" MDF or ply.

Then using a template, I want to cut away the mating profile on the yellow board.

1) I'll need two different templates that are negatives of each other, right?

2) If I make the template for the yellow board first, how do I go about making the template for the green board? Or maybe I should do green then yellow?

3) Maybe make a template for the green board, route it, then flip the green board over onto the yellow board and use that as the template? I don't really like this because then I could screw up the green board.

Somehow I have to account for the diameter of router bit.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Paul,
    Just to confirm, I see your illustration as top down (as opposed to a side view, which would make the yellow board sitting in the rabbet of the green board).

I believe if you are using a guide bushing with your template, you have to account for distance between the bushing and the bit, but assuming your flush trim bit is bearing guided, this will trim flush to your template, correct?

I believe your item (1) is the right approach. In my mind, doing the green piece first makes sense, but don't use it as a template directly - its the wrong profile in the corner radius depicted. Instead, use it to draw your trim line on the template for the yellow piece, then cut and adjust the yellow template to fit your green piece perfectly, then flush trim the yellow piece to fit.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

this problem is sort of solved in the world of inlay routing.
      Look at this kit from MLCSwoodworking

You have a template. For your thing you would need a custom one but not the negative.
      Note that it uses a template bushing to follow the template. The bushing has a second bushing that fits over it to increase the diameter by the exact width of the router bit.
      so when the second piece is cut the inside and outside match.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        this problem is sort of solved in the world of inlay routing.
        Yes, that's what I was thinking, too, but that bit is pretty dainty for heavy duty stuff.

I'm having trouble visualizing it. How do you think you could accomplish this with router guide bushings and/or straight bit (1/4", 3/8", or 1/2") and/or 1/2" bearing guided flush trim bit?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

you could do the same thing if you used the 1/4" spiral bit
          with a guide bushing of say 1/2"
          the switched to a guide bushing that increased the RADIUS by 1/4" which would mean you bushing would have to go to 1".

Do they come that big? I don't think so.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            you could do the same thing if you used the 1/4" spiral bit
            with a guide bushing of say 1/2"
            the switched to a guide bushing that increased the RADIUS by 1/4" which would mean you bushing would have to go to 1".

Do they come that big? I don't think so.
            Ok, I will have to explore this. I have the Bosch guide bushing set which goes to 1 3/8" OD and they do sell a 1" OD bushing. Guess which one my set doesn't have according to the specs?

Couldn't I achieve the same effect as you describe if I used a bearing guided 1/2" bit with no bushing, then using the same bit, but with the 1" bushing?

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              Ok, I will have to explore this. I have the Bosch guide bushing set which goes to 1 3/8" OD and they do sell a 1" OD bushing. Guess which one my set doesn't have according to the specs?

Couldn't I achieve the same effect as you describe if I used a bearing guided 1/2" bit with no bushing, then using the same bit, but with the 1" bushing?
              I thought about it some more. In order for this to work, the template and bushing need to be used on the waste side of the 2nd board. Not very ideal.

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding this. But it seems pretty simple to me, depending of course on the radius you're looking at and the thickness of the two boards.

For example if you're looking at a 3/8" radius of the green board you simply use a 3/4" straight bit and clamp a guide to ensure that you are cutting straight and in far enough for your mating of the yellow board. Use a stop to ensure that the cutter ends exactly where you want it to. (However, it this is to be a radius larger than most bit diameters, then an inside corner radius template would have to be used.)

Not knowing the size and position of the green board, I'd almost think this would be done better on a router table, as the fence and stop could be easier set up.

As I see it, the only place you would need a "template" would be for the yellow board to mate with the green board. Once you make your template, cut an example to make sure the rounded outside corner mates properly with the inside radius you've cut on the green board.

Perhaps I am seeing this in too simple terms,

CWS
                Last edited by cwsmith; 09-24-2014, 10:09 AM. Reason: In Italics.
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• trungdok
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • MA

I would cut the yellow board first (round the edge with a round over router bit). Then, put it on another board that is the same thickness of the green board. Line the yellow and green board next to each other at some appropriate distance away from each other. Use a flush trim bit (with the guide near the neck of the bit) to cut the green board. Essentially using the yellow board as the template. Good luck.
                  Last edited by trungdok; 09-24-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...