• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Did you score any Black Friday deals?

Woodworking related or not.

I went to Walmart Thursday afternoon a couple of hours before they're bf sale started and was surprised that there was no line outside. Managed to pick up a couple of their door buster deals including a $218 50" LED tv. After the very long wait to purchase I decided to stop by Best Buy and was again surpised to see they still had some Ipad Air 2 with the $100 discount so I picked up one. Friday I checked out Rockler and Woodcraft but there wasn't really anything that I needed. Today I check out slickdeals and notice Walmart has the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router for $90. Had to go to 3 stores but I found one and bought one for myself and an extra one for a xmas gift.

How did you guys do?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

you know - I felt my wallet tugging wednesday when I visited Woodcraft ----- JET clamps for 50% off!

With a kid in Harvey Mudd College ----- Christmas is a bit of a luxury, right now.

However - reality reminded me that I had to replace the brakes, rotors, and shocks on our family car ----- so guess where my money went?

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude
      However - reality reminded me that I had to replace the brakes, rotors, and shocks on our family car ----- so guess where my money went?
      I hope you at least got in on the $50 off $100 at Advance Auto BF deal.

BF seemed a little disappointing this year - not many deals on things I need.

Got a $10 32GB micro card, $100 laptop, $40 and $30 tablets, brake pads and shoes for the we just bought (used), oil specials at Pep boys, and a sweater. Thought seriously about the $200 50" LED TV, but really don't need another TV.

BTW, if you bought something before BF and the exact item was on sale on BF for a lower price, some of the credit card price protection offers will refund the difference. Check the Discover Price Protection thread on SD.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

My wife bought clothes for the family. I thought HD had some pretty good deals but I could only part with $12 for two LED light strings. I, too, also need to change out brake pads and smooth the rotors. My parents have just moved to DE. I was prepared to buy the Oneida Super Dust Deputy (not a BF sale, but tax free) since my folks would be driving past Woodcraft on the way to Thanksgiving (we did ours on Saturday outside Philly) but the store was sold out.

I have been eyeing a new phone for the longest time. I was on Virgin Mobile for a while but their deal on the Galaxy S5 couldn't beat the deal over at ting.com. I should also be paying the same amount per month ($35) for my plan based on my current usage.

I tried to convince my wife we should get a more energy efficient TV for the living room to replace the plasma but she was biting.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

A couple of years ago we decided not to do any more doorbuster deals. Some people may find it fun, but we saw too many people acting like complete asses. We might go in later and see what's left, but the only thing I went out for this year was a deal n swim lessons. 25% off, no line for that.

Picked up four clamps off of Acme with the sale. I tried to get a game steering wheel from Fry's online, but their website and CS drove me from ever doing business with them again.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I ordered up a new router, earlier in the week, after having my first Windows gaming machine (since XP years ago), took forever to download Diablo III over G. (eventually found my LONG 5e cable) I now have at least two N based wireless devices, so decided it was time. My brother has been bothering me for years to get another gaming machine, and I have a stack of games that have been bought for me to push it. Now, I have to find the tricks to install some of them.
            Then, Friday, that router was on sale for $50 off.
            Tuesday, I was out at our local Damaged freight store and found out they were having a 20% off sale Wenesday through Saturday (closed Thanksgiving). I made sure I picked up what I wanted, before the rush (only had one of some items, example, Logitech G710 blue key mechanical Keyboard, for $59).
            Not worth fighting the crowds.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Well it wasnt very exotic but it was a good deal. We have a local Stardust Building supplies http://www.stardustbuilding.org/ that has opened near me and they are like a building material goodwill.

I picked up 2 4 tube florescent lights (like the photo below) for my in progress shop for $13 including 8 tubes.

If you have one near you they are worth a look (also check out Habitat for Humanity Restore)
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I bought a couple of small tools on line and picked up Saturday.
                A set of Craftsman nut drivers
                and some lennox hole saws in a kit.

I wanted a four foot ladder. HD had a Werner's listed for $17.88 but the local store had none according to the on-line site and the other nearby stores said you must go in person to check stock.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Oh yeah!

I caught up with you folks ---- my local ACE hardware had a nice set of screwdrivers for just $4.99 ------ and I'm darn tired of mine growing legs and showing up in the kitchen (hmmm -- who might be doing that????)
                  Last edited by durango dude; 11-30-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I bought a couple things at HD. I got another Ryobi 18V drill with small lithium ion battery and charger for $50 and a set of 3 folding utility knives for $10. I wanted the latter for a drywall project coming up and the former to have a spare. I had two, broke one (using a 2 1/8 hole saw in a solid door for a lock), one wandered off. So I bought one without battery or charger and now wanted a third battery and another charger. The only disappointment is the new battery doesn't have a charge indicator like my other two.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by durango dude
                      Oh yeah!

I caught up with you folks ---- my local ACE hardware had a nice set of screwdrivers for just $4.99 ------ and I'm darn tired of mine growing legs and showing up in the kitchen (hmmm -- who might be doing that????)
                      Better borrowing the screwdrivers than using the dinner knives as screwdrivers. Or are they both being misused as prybars and chisels?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I got a sweet deal on some sleep and was able to score some peace and quiet for free.
                        Joe

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I did what Joe did. Peace and quiet and some sleep. Black Friday and Cyber Monday just don't interest me probably because of my age.

Tom

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • IL, USA.
                            • DELTA 36-675

No power tool or hand tool this year. I was able to pick-up a new Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff for $35 at Cabela's.. Looking forward to using it at the range.
                            Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• Neal
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Picked up an Xbox One for my son at an online jungle retailer for $329. Also got a couple of attachements for my wife's kitchenaid mixer at a decent price.

Really didn't try to do much else.

Come to think of it, I did the xbox Thursday morning while my smoker was warming up.

Comment

Working...