X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris64
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2008

Grinder advice

What do you all think of this grinder? Its got some miles on it, but from what I read the baldors are really nice (and I don't know if 100 bucks is a reasonable price). I assume that I could clean it up. What would you guys do, go for this or grab a new one off the shelf at lowes or home depot?

• dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Baldor motors are really well made, and if that grinder were more specific I would say that is a good deal on one, but there are some key things I would pass this up for...

#1. No mention of wheel size, but it doesn't even look like a 6" let alone the MUCH more desireable for woodworking / tool sharpening 8".

#2. No mention of motor speed, but with the wheel that small, I can only imagine at full speed the surface speed of that wheel has got to be FAST....

#3. The overall condition of that thing, it just looks abused...

There is some debate on full speed / vs. slow speed grinders, a lot of folks are willing and able to pay extra for a slow speed grinder. I however am not made of cash. I opted for a Ryobi BGH-827 from Home Depot. The RPM was what OneWay recommended for use with their Wolverine sharpening jigs... I added some Norton white oxide sharpening wheels which keep the grinding temps down. And I use a very light touch...

To get the Norton wheels to work right I had to get some bushings from I think it might have been Grainger, I will look for the info if you are really interested, Just simply steel sleeve bushings, and a wheel dresser to true it up... Now the grinder works like a dream.

If you have the $$ to get it all at once, Penn State Industries has a good deal on an 8" 2 speed grinder with the oxide wheels, and sharpening jig set for about $250.00

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chris64
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2008

Ok thanks. I didn't even know where to start, all your points are valid and well taken. I will probably hold off on it and see what else I can find. I dont think I am ready to spend 250 for a grinder quite yet, but can probably find a good valued one with variable speed and good quality build... I appreciate the comments.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

At 7:18 today (Feb. 7, 2014) the link says the author has taken it down.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the listing's taken down so I don't know what it is. But I'd say $100 for a well used (you said it needed it needed cleanup) run-of-the-mill grinder is not a good deal considering new ones range from $50 to $177 (quick scan of Amazon - name brand like Dewalt and 8" add cost, noname like Buffalo or Grizzly and 6" costs less ). SOmeone posted new Rikon slow speed grinders sale which is $100 this month at (Woodcraft?) which would be a much better use for $100.

Whether you need slow speed depends on whether you plan to grind stuff for rough use or sharpen critical tools. For non-heavy use rough-grinding use you could buy a new grinder well under $100.

Ryobi 6" grinder with eye-shields & work light costs $45 at HD. I bought a similar Ryobi many years ago for $$30 and it still works fine.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-07-2014, 07:33 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I think the best value is the Rikon right now. Comes with 60 and 120 grit white wheels. It's only one speed, but it's the speed you want.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Rikon slow speed grinder here for $99.00

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                Rikon slow speed grinder here for $99.00

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...d-Grinder.aspx
                That Rikon looks like a good deal at that price. It even includes the white oxide wheels...

FWIW, Not sure you could get the same deal in store, but there is a Woodcraft @ Beltway 8 just about a block or two east of 59 on the eastbound feeder road...

If super tight budget is a concern, have you thought of maybe a Harbor Freight wet / dry grinder? I have heard of folks adapting Tormek accessories for these rigs and coming up with some nice sharpening machines...
                Last edited by dbhost; 02-07-2014, 10:51 PM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

A Baldor grinder at $100 is a bargain, as long as it isn't three phase.

That said, the older square frame Craftsman grinders are liked nearly as well (there was one semi clone, that was made by someone else towards the end of the run). It really depends on what your going to do with it, as there are others such as Woodcrafts slow speed model, that are liked by those that only use them for woodworking tools. (where the Baldor and Craftsman are liked more by garage/auto/hot rod/machinist types).
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you can get the Rikon/Woodcraft deal thru amazon ($99 + $10 shipping):

Brand new 8" dewalt for sale on eBay BIN for $119+$7 shipping:

For me a grinder is not the kind of tool I'd use very much but its handy to have. An induction motor on any one should last darn near forever given my level of hobby use.

Another warning: Buying an old grinder off Craigslist I'd be careful it has all the safety and convenience items on it - tool rest, eye shields, light - they tend to wander off or be non-existant.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-08-2014, 02:07 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

A Minor Point

Originally posted by dbhost

#2. No mention of motor speed, but with the wheel that small, I can only imagine at full speed the surface speed of that wheel has got to be FAST....
                      I'm not a physicist/engineer/math nerd, so I might be full of you-know-what. My understanding is that for a given rotational speed at the axle, the larger the wheel, the faster the edge is going. As I understand it, if you have 3500 rpm at the hub, a 4" wheel's surface speed is going to be quite a bit slower than an 8" wheel.

Just my $0.02.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gsmittle
                        I'm not a physicist/engineer/math nerd, so I might be full of you-know-what. My understanding is that for a given rotational speed at the axle, the larger the wheel, the faster the edge is going. As I understand it, if you have 3500 rpm at the hub, a 4" wheel's surface speed is going to be quite a bit slower than an 8" wheel.

Just my $0.02.

g.
                        that is correct. The linear speed of the outer edge of a wheel of any sort is proportional to the diameter of the wheel. So a 4" wheel has a edge velocity 1/2 that of an 8" wheel at the same rotational rate. decreasing the rotational rate (RPMs) will decrease the edge rate by the same proportion. SO a slow speed grinder 1750 RPM vs a standard speed grinder 3500 RPM will have half the edge velocity.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...