X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theophile
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2014

Hi all. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I just got the "new" Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw (Item #60564, the one with the battleship-grey paint) and I've been eyeing this mod. But in doing the background research, I noticed that the updated versions of the Grizzly G0555 (including the LX and the Anniversary Edition) feature a different tensioner assembly:

Source: http://jayscustomcreations.com/2013/...5lanv-bandsaw/

Comparing the parts diagrams of the G0555, G0555LX, and the Central Machinery 60564, it looks like the newer tension-release clutch on the G0555LX could be fitted to the 60564 with no more work that is required by the lever mod described in this thread. It looks like the tops of the guideposts would need to be tapped and threaded, but the existing process already requires tapping and threading the sides of at least one of them anyway.

Also, it looks like the newer assembly would require fewer parts and lower total cost than the lever-based mod.

From what I can tell, the required parts (excluding bolts, washers, and other similar hardware that can be purchased locally) would be one each of the following:

P0555LX140 - CLUTCH SUPPORT BRACKET ($8.50)
    P0555LX135 - UPPER CLUTCH ($3.50)
    P0555LX214 - LOWER CLUTCH ($4.50)
    P0555LX134 - PLASTIC HANDLE 3/8-16 ($1.00)
    P0555LX133 - STUD-UDE 3/8-16 X 10 1, 3/4 ($1.50)
    P0555LX033 - TENSION BOLT 3/8-16 X 11-5/8 ($7.00)

Merchandise: $26.00
    Shipping: $9.95
    Subtotal: $35.95

Has anyone ever tried this? Or does anyone who has done the lever mod agree that this looks doable?

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I did the original mod (as you can see by my posts from this thread 8 years ago... wow has it really been that long??). My only concern would be the tops of the posts might not have the proper spacing, and I can't remember if they are flat or rounded. I'm at work so I can't run out and check at the moment... It would be good if you could find someone with the newer Griz saw to get the exact dimensions of the part that bolts to the top.

I can say that this was a VERY worthwhile mod.

-Tim

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
        I did the original mod (as you can see by my posts from this thread 8 years ago... wow has it really been that long??). My only concern would be the tops of the posts might not have the proper spacing, and I can't remember if they are flat or rounded. I'm at work so I can't run out and check at the moment... It would be good if you could find someone with the newer Griz saw to get the exact dimensions of the part that bolts to the top.

I can say that this was a VERY worthwhile mod.

-Tim
        Totally agree. I love my bandsaw with this mod...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • BT3100

Just looked at my HF saw... the top posts are nice and flat, but they have sort of a U-shaped cross section. It's hard to tell from a picture but the newer Grizz saw appears to have a wider spacing between those posts, and it looks like they're using a much larger bolt than what would be able to be tapped in the HF posts.

My guess is that with a little fanangling, you could get it to work, but it might not be as easy as a drop-in. Again, if you could get the exact dimensions, including bolt hole size and spacing, of the Grizz part that would be ideal.

Comment

• theophile
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2014

The more I look at these diagrams, the more sure I am that the Grizzly G0555 and variants are the same Asian import saw as the Central/Ridgid/Porter Cable/JET/Powermatic/Shop Fox/etc. In fact, having looked at close-up photos of each of these brands, I think those sliding tensioner brackets are all likely to be more or less interchangeable with one another. That would mean that the post spacing would be the same across all these models.

Also, even if there is some difference between the post thickness, I don't think the mounting bolts necessary to hold this bracket on would necessarily have to be as thick as the bolts Grizzly provides. When the apparatus is under tension, the force would be pulling the bracket toward the posts, not away from them, so the primary function of those bolts is just to keep things aligned and in place.

I think I've just convinced myself. I'm going to order the parts, do the mod, and report back.

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • BT3100

Originally posted by theophile
              The more I look at these diagrams, the more sure I am that the Grizzly G0555 and variants are the same Asian import saw as the Central/Ridgid/Porter Cable/JET/Powermatic/Shop Fox/etc. In fact, having looked at close-up photos of each of these brands, I think those sliding tensioner brackets are all likely to be more or less interchangeable with one another. That would mean that the post spacing would be the same across all these models.

Also, even if there is some difference between the post thickness, I don't think the mounting bolts necessary to hold this bracket on would necessarily have to be as thick as the bolts Grizzly provides. When the apparatus is under tension, the force would be pulling the bracket toward the posts, not away from them, so the primary function of those bolts is just to keep things aligned and in place.

I think I've just convinced myself. I'm going to order the parts, do the mod, and report back.
              Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Hi all. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I just got the "new" Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw (Item #60564, the one with the battleship-grey paint) and I've been eyeing this mod. But in doing the background research, I noticed that the updated versions of the Grizzly G0555 (including the LX and the Anniversary Edition) feature a different tensioner assembly:

Source: http://jayscustomcreations.com/2013/...5lanv-bandsaw/

Comparing the parts diagrams of the G0555, G0555LX, and the Central Machinery 60564, it looks like the newer tension-release clutch on the G0555LX could be fitted to the 60564 with no more work that is required by the lever mod described in this thread. It looks like the tops of the guideposts would need to be tapped and threaded, but the existing process already requires tapping and threading the sides of at least one of them anyway.

Also, it looks like the newer assembly would require fewer parts and lower total cost than the lever-based mod.

From what I can tell, the required parts (excluding bolts, washers, and other similar hardware that can be purchased locally) would be one each of the following:

P0555LX140 - CLUTCH SUPPORT BRACKET ($8.50)
                P0555LX135 - UPPER CLUTCH ($3.50)
                P0555LX214 - LOWER CLUTCH ($4.50)
                P0555LX134 - PLASTIC HANDLE 3/8-16 ($1.00)
                P0555LX133 - STUD-UDE 3/8-16 X 10 1, 3/4 ($1.50)
                P0555LX033 - TENSION BOLT 3/8-16 X 11-5/8 ($7.00)

Merchandise: $26.00
                Shipping: $9.95
                Subtotal: $35.95

Has anyone ever tried this? Or does anyone who has done the lever mod agree that this looks doable?
                If I hadn't already done the other tension release assembly, this looks like a good one! Good luck with it!
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• theophile
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2014

It's alive!

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

Niiiiiice!

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

It's alive!
                      Is that on the new model HF bandsaw? Pretty awesome!

Comment

• theophile
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2014

Sure is, and it works perfectly. Last weekend I picked up one of the older style HF saws off Craigslist. It's the green one with the metal knobs that look like they came off a bathtub. I think I'm going to do this mod to that saw too, but save a few bucks in parts by threading my own rods and making a handle in the shop. The only three parts you really need are the upper and lower clutch and the bracket.

Comment

• Habe
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

How is the lower half of the clutch prevented from moving as you tension the blade?
                          Habe

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

No pics of that, but I suspect the lower clutch piece uses some means of indexing to the bracket, via a pin or so, or maybe a solid lip on the back side. I would think pineed or bolted to that bracket though...

If I didn't already have the older style lever I would do this newer mod in a hot second!

Mind you, the older style works well, operates smoothly, but there are just too many bits and pieces to it all...

Comment

• theophile
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2014

The lower clutch part is bolted to the green bracket. I'm going to try to post a video of operation later tonight.

Comment

• dbhost
                                Slow and steady
                                • Apr 2008
                                • League City, Texas
                                • Ryobi BT3100

Just a thought, but I bet that would look a lot better / look like it is supposed to be there if you could color match, or maybe matte black that green bracket. As it sits it looks like it came from a different saw. Just a cosmetic issue, but I think it would go a long ways appearance wise!

Also, I think the washers are supposed to go between the bolt heads and the bracket, not between the bracket and the upper arm of the saw... Look at the photo of the Grizzly carefully...

Comment

Working...