• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Ryobi batteries

Several Home Depots in SoCal have the 2-pack of the larger 4 amp-hour 18volt "One+" lithium-ion batteries on sale for $99. That's the usual price for one such battery or two of the smaller capacity 18 volt One+ batteries. They'll charge in any Ryobi Li-ion rated charger and work with any 18 volt One+ tools including the older ones sold with NiCad batteries.

I have a couple Ryobi 18 volt tools and these batteries seem to last much longer than the smaller Li-Ion One+ batteries that came with the tools - more than twice as long actually.

Edit: yesterday (Dec 13th) I noticed they are now ten bucks cheaper!

mpc
    Last edited by mpc; 12-14-2014, 03:12 PM.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

They can be ordered online at 2 for $99.00.
    I need a couple of extra batteries since all of my old yellow NiCads have gone weak or bad. I have been discouaged by the price and settled for the smaller LiOn amp batteries up until now. I will be glad to get a couple of larger ones and will pick them up this evening or tomorrow evening in the Southaven/Memphis store.

Thanks for posting this.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Wonder how hard it would be to buy these 2 pack li's for the innards and install the cells in my way overpriced dead dewalts? I know the dewalt battery packs open easily, screwed together, how is Ryobi battery packs fastened? Are they sub c cells?
      capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        They can be ordered online at 2 for $99.00.
        I need a couple of extra batteries since all of my old yellow NiCads have gone weak or bad. I have been discouaged by the price and settled for the smaller LiOn amp batteries up until now. I will be glad to get a couple of larger ones and will pick them up this evening or tomorrow evening in the Southaven/Memphis store.

Thanks for posting this.
        I ordered a 2 pack and will pick it up tonight at the store. They also have a 2 pack of the compact Li on sale for $59.97
        THANKS!
        Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
          Wonder how hard it would be to buy these 2 pack li's for the innards and install the cells in my way overpriced dead dewalts? I know the dewalt battery packs open easily, screwed together, how is Ryobi battery packs fastened? Are they sub c cells?
          capncarl
          Most all battery packs us ethe sub C cells.

the hardest thing is how the cells oare stacked and welded together. If they are arranged the same in 3D space, they might move easily. But if they go in another way, then you'll have to break the welds and redo them, a real bear.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I went to the store last night all set to buy one of these packs. When I grabbed for it I started thinking, do I need it? I've got 5-6 small Lithiums and 2 NiCds that are still kicking. I mainly only use the radio and drills, the 'heavier duty' cordless tools don't get a lot of use or have been replaced by corded versions.

Although it would be nice to retire one of those small Lithiums inside with the oldest drill. Would be nice to have a better equipped home kit, and dump this Lowes-brand thing that won't really hold a charge...
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Yesterday I noticed HD has dropped the price another ten bucks. Down to $89 for two of the large batteries.

I edited the initial post with this info as well.

mpc

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

I wonder if I could get a refund on that. Just bought last week.

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Home Depot used to have a 30-day price policy. I don't know if they still do, but I'd give it a shot.

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

What was available at my HD for $99 is the 2 pack of 3 AH batteries. I looked but was not able to find any 4 AH 2 packs. HD swapped out my failed compact li batteries with their last 2 pack of 3 AH. I bet that is going to be a doozie getting the LLSA changed over to those! I don't think I sm going to stock up on Ridgid batteries until I get a better handle on their LLSA.
                    capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

Do the new batteries have a charge indicator? My old little lithium ion have 4 point charge indicators. There is a button on the battery you push and you look to see how many indicators are lit. I just bought a new drill partially to get another battery and it doesn't have the charge indicator. I'm wondering is that is true of all the current batteries.

Comment

• frumper64
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Garland, Tx, USA.

The 4ah batteries do indeed have a four light charge indicator with the button on the battery to push to see the charge. I have a couple of them from the last sale and they have been great so far.
                        Jim
                        64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Burg53
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Hillsdale, NJ, USA.

Just came from my local HD and they have the 4ah twin pack reduced to $84.00. YMMV.

Les

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Man, wonder if I could get $5 more off. Lol.

Almost at the point of worth getting another pack.

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

I bought a 2nd 2-pack of 4ah last Saturday. I had not noticed the charge indicator lights until I read it here.

I have successfully retired all of my "Yellow" 18v NiCads. I bought 3 when I returned home from Japan in Dec 2010 to replace some ageing ones that wouldn't hold a charge but a few minutes. Those 18v that I bought in Dec/Jan 2010/2011 have gotten to the point that they will not hold a charge. I guess 4 years is as long as they can handle.

I have a 12v Li-ion Hitachi impact driver (right angle) in which the battery is still working full strength, and it is 6 years old.

I am tired of NiCads.
                              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...