• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guycox
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Romulak, VA, USA.

Global Economy - Calipers.

Look at it this way, in a global economy how many digital caliper manufactures can there be? I'd venture a bet that they all come from the same factory.. The only exception would be if you bought a Starret - and even then, the sensor and display would be the same as the all the other ones. The engineering costs to design and manufacture those components would be insane.
    Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
    What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      SR44 are expensive and hard to find ( I seem to remember $3.50 each several years ago). I buy 2 cards of 10 LR44 for a buck to a buck and a half each card including free shipping (usually from china and it takes a couple of weeks) and don't worry about the cost anymore. Alkalines should have fairly good shelf life in general (several years) due to low self discharge so don't worry about keeping the extras around.

Sometimes at Michaels or Hobby Lobby you can also find them in bulk. Used in a lot of toys, advertising buttons, novelties and gizmos with LEDs etc.

Get the best deals for lr44 battery at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

quantities from lots of 5 to 100.
      I never could find the SR44 at a decent price. I read somewhere that the LR44 may cause some inaccuracy in digital calipers. However, I'm usually more inaccurate than the margin of error according to what I read, so I did the same thing and bought 10 or 20 off the Bay for just a few bucks.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JSUPreston
        ''' I read somewhere that the LR44 may cause some inaccuracy in digital calipers. ....
        that's highly doubtful. these battery operated digital gizmos are made to operate with the battery voltage changing slightly over time as the battery is depleted.
        anything with alkaline cells is designed to work from about 1.1 or 1.2V to 1.6V

the SR44 covers about the same range. So I would not expect any difference.
        The calipers measure distance by tracking a printed grid so its truly digital. Does not rely on a voltage measurement. Only a digital circuit to count the grid.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          that's highly doubtful. these battery operated digital gizmos are made to operate with the battery voltage changing slightly over time as the battery is depleted.
          anything with alkaline cells is designed to work from about 1.1 or 1.2V to 1.6V

the SR44 covers about the same range. So I would not expect any difference.
          The calipers measure distance by tracking a printed grid so its truly digital. Does not rely on a voltage measurement. Only a digital circuit to count the grid.
          I figured that was the case as well. I think I may have read it on a battery vendor's site. They probably carried the SR44, which is why they were pushing it.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• lrr
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Fort Collins, Colorado
            • Ryobi BT-3100

I have two HF digital calipers. The 12" model does not burn thru the batteries. I do tighten the lock screw to keep vibrations from turning it on (has happened a few times). The 6" model I have does consume a battery pretty quickly.

It is tempting to buy try another brand, but may have to jsut go find the cheap LR44s on eBay.
            Lee

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I ended up buying the one from Amazon, and it's pretty good, but frankly, it's no better than the one from HF. It has auto-off, but not auto-on, which the HF one had.

So, I guess with the cheaper price and additional feature, the HF one scores more.
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'd give up auto-on for more battery life. What's the use of auto-on if the battery is dead?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...