• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Out of curiosity I checked to see the prices of the various ammo mentioned. I'm sticking to WWing!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Somebody somewhere is trying to drive the casual shooter out of the hobby. Not going into politics though? I do not order any ammo online, I've been told it was cheaper. That said, primers are out of stock at most all gun shops and shows. You can ask and they say they found some somewhere and have ordered all they would sell them, a couple thousand or so. The average reloaded buys a box of 1000, that's 10 sleeves of 100, most shops won't break a box. After looking over a year I found a box of large pistol primers for $48.30, the other box I still have some in is marked $11.00. .44 bullets (projectiles to be loaded) are $25.49 per box of 100, use to be $6. I bought the only box available! A 1 lb canister of pistol powder was $26, use to be around $10. I keep .44 shotshells for the pistols for snakes, a box of 10 cost me $17.25 in 2013, this year the same box cost $30.00.

I know this is a woodworking site so I'll shut this rant up about ammo prices, but those of you who own a firearm might want to check your ammo and have a box on hand in case you want to go hunting in the future because you may not be able to find ammo later!
      capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The M1911A1 was chambered in .45 ACP. FWIW ACP stands for Auto Chambering Pistol.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by capncarl
          I know this is a woodworking site so I'll shut this rant up about ammo prices, but those of you who own a firearm might want to check your ammo and have a box on hand in case you want to go hunting in the future because you may not be able to find ammo later!
          capncarl
          Lots of primers are in stock at the local shop that carries a ton of reloading supplies. Powder is limited to mostly 1# containers. That place usually has over 100 8# jugs and they only had 3 for a specialty new powder. I buy bulk bullets for pistols or 223 and reload.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I guess you can consider yourself lucky. There must be a bunch more ammo hoarders down south, or the supply noose is tighter. This summer I checked out a number of privately owned gun shops, not Gander Mt, Bass Pro or Walmart, from as far south as Everglades City to as far north as Cape Hateras. Mind you, this was not every shop, but the ones easy to find for out of owners. About the same story everywhere. My wife finally got tired of setting in the car outside gun shops and "expressed her aggravation".
            capncarl

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

The privately owned shop I frequent had at least 10-12 1000packs of primers per type (small/large/mag for each pistol and rifle). I never saw them completely run out when the last big rush was on. But you were limited to 1000 rifle and 1000 pistol per visit.

I don't hoard but I wont run out anytime soon either. I buy 8# of my favorite powders so I dont have to screw around when changing powder batches.

The big stores are hit and miss. The rumors there are the employees were tipping off there buddies as to when the trucks were arriving and when they would stock the shelves.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Today on th way to visit kids for Christmas I was able to detour off the route to visit a no-name pawn shop in a strip mall next to a Goodwill. Found 2 20 round boxes of .44 special critical defense for $18 each. They must have had 50 boxes of .45 colt, no .45 acp though.

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  Out of curiosity I checked to see the prices of the various ammo mentioned. I'm sticking to WWing!
                  It's a horrible lifestyle ---- but hey --- if you feel guilty - I can give you my address, and would be happy to relieve you of any unwanted noise makers.

Here in Colorado - good bullets are easier to come by than good wood.

I stopped by my local mill --- the only thing they have right now is Douglas Fir.

My local gun shop by comparison has a brick of 22LR for just $20 (used to be half that).

Guess which is more fun!

Comment

Working...