• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by leehljp
    For me: Clean up the shop so that I can find some lost tools!
    Originally posted by dbhost
    #1. Clean the shop. It desperately needs it.
    Originally posted by JSUPreston
    My to-do list:
    Clean the friggin' shop!

Seriously, I'm tripping over stuff like crazy. I think I have a workbench in there somewhere...but like so many others, if I can find a flat surface, I'm going to cover it.
    Y'all stole my line. From last year!!!
    But good news is that I have a handful of days off from work coming up before the year is up, and LOML doesn't, so I'll be spending that at home. So I'm going to complete this task this year itself.

Lemme put it down here so I am committed to it:
    I. WILL. CLEAN. THE. SHOP. BEFORE THIS YEAR IS OVER.

For 2015, it will be:
    Don't Go To Sleep Any Day Without 15 Minutes Cleaning The Shop.
    (Especially if I did not do any wood working that day. )

Apart from that, I will listen and learn from y'all - my shop needs some simplifying. Maybe re-arranging. Hopefully you spark some ideas.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I actually managed to clean up my shop this year and got rid of some stuff I didn't use. I need to keep doing that in 2015. My shop is tiny, so every square inch I can free makes a big difference.

My goal is to simply spend time in my shop at least once a month. Time is a precious commodity, but if I can squeeze in an hour here an hour there to just clean or organize or tinker, I will be in much better shape when I actually do have real time for a project.

I have lined up a few smaller projects that I am really looking forward to.
      Joe

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I actually started on the cleanup a bit over the last weekend, however LOML had other ideas for my time, and about cramming junk into my shop instead of where it actually belongs... Admittedly it is kind of my fault. We loaned her sister one of my 150 quart coolers for a beach party, and ever since getting it back I have cleaned it, and left it in the laundry room... I think she's hinting it is time to put it back in the attic...

I have had a couple of days to mull over what my intent for 2015 is in the shop. We'll see how far we go...

#1. Finish the shop cleanup. this includes.
        -#1a. Purge out excess cutoff scraps. I have too many to use, and won't be tossing anything good, just construction grade, ply, and MDF type scrap that is too small to be useful. This will require using some of that scrap to...
        -#1b. Build a scrap haul box. Basically a VERY simple reinforced, screwed and glued plywood and 2x2 box to haul scraps in the bed of the truck. I will haul the junk bits out when I head over to a friends property out in Santa Fe, he's got a burn pile ready to go...
        #2. Find that air leak in my twin compressor mainfold and fix it.
        #3. Blow in insulation in the remaining uninsulated wall. Patch any remaining wall problems, paint the wall.
        #4. Figure out a way to convert the 5" OEM flex line to / from the portable AC to 5" insulated duct. It might end up being severely ugly but as long as it works well I don't really care. I am trying to avoid exchanging heat from the duct with the interior air as it comes as goes through those sections of flex hose. The current configuration just pours heat back into the shop and makes the AC work harder than it has to!
        #5. Finish building the drawers for my miter saw bench, and move stuff into the drawers, getting rid of 2 of the 4 excess totes in the shop.
        #6. Build a sheet goods / cutoff cart.

The key factors are organization, safety, and comfort.

I am going to intentionally keep my list short this year, I am making an effort to keep my goals achievable...
        Last edited by dbhost; 12-23-2014, 10:57 AM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

My folks took the kids overnight after Christmas so I'm going to work on cleaning the shop before they get back in a few hours.

Just wondering how many of you organize your tools/tidbits by task? This morning, I did electrical work and most of that stuff is specialized for that task. I'm thinking I might keep separate tool boxes for each task--electrical, plumbing, car/mechanical, etc. Right now I have two Bucket Bosses and it's just to easy too dump stuff in there but a real PITA to find anything.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            My folks took the kids overnight after Christmas so I'm going to work on cleaning the shop before they get back in a few hours.

Just wondering how many of you organize your tools/tidbits by task? This morning, I did electrical work and most of that stuff is specialized for that task. I'm thinking I might keep separate tool boxes for each task--electrical, plumbing, car/mechanical, etc. Right now I have two Bucket Bosses and it's just to easy too dump stuff in there but a real PITA to find anything.
            I do exactly this. I have boxes for electrical, plumbing and odds and ends that I rarely use. Woodworking and tools I use a lot are on peg board or in drawers.
            Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I got a jump start for 2015. My parallel clamps have always just stood head down on the floor--for 3+ years--and in no particular area. No more. Basically a copy of LarryG's design with no bells and whistles. I also could have spaced them closer. Anyway, scrap plywood and scrap walnut project held together with some glue and screws. The ply top and back were already a certain length and width (didn't bother to measure it) and I just went with it. Holds 10 clamps. I have 8.

I moved the bar clamp rack to the left and also reversed the location of the piano hinge. The new rack really isn't in an ideal location because my assembly area is in the opposite corner of the shop, but baby steps.

Paul

Comment

• Tom Clark
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2007
                • Deming, NM
                • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Originally posted by radhak
                Lemme put it down here so I am committed to it. I. WILL. CLEAN. THE. SHOP. BEFORE THIS YEAR IS OVER.
                Apart from that, I will listen and learn from y'all - my shop needs some simplifying. Maybe re-arranging. Hopefully you spark some ideas.
                I have been playing at woodworking for 30+ years, and still my shop is being re-arranged. Shops are never done, always just a work in progress. I built three small shop cabinets last spring to increase storage, and will probably add another one or two this year, just because I like building cabinets. I know I will be helping a neighbor set up his new shop, and help him get started on building his first shop cabinets.

Here are some photos of my shop to help give some ideas to those posters who are talking adding shop cabinets.

1. In an old FL shop I removed all the open stands from small machines and tossed them. Instead of empty wasted space under machines there was now a lot of storage space.

2. In my much smaller NM shop, the cabinets had to be placed differently, but still work efficiently.

3. My main workbench area surrounds an open assembly area. Notice that as I aged everything below bench height now has drawers instead of doors over open space. Drawers are far more efficient storage.

4. Now that I am mostly retired, I have been spending a lot of time building and designing RC airplanes - a life-long hobby. This is my model corner.

5. Shop carts provide more table area when things are getting crowded.

6. My big machines are bunched together in the center of the floor, so they can share dust collection without having to have dust pipes spread all over the shop. I just cringe when seeing shop tours that show where their owners have to step over dust lines! Not a practical way to work. This area is about 9'x12' and holds 8 machines and a large multi-use table that serves double purpose. Things stored under it and as an out feet table for two machines.

My shop cabinets were built over a 30 year span, and most were fun weekend projects. Photo 3 shows the new 17 drawer toolbox I built last spring. It only took 4 days to build. Learn the basics and cabinet building goes very fast. It is amazing how much stuff this thing holds. It emptied several other drawers in the shop.

I have been saying for years that shop cabinets don't take room from your shop, but rather double the space you do have, no matter how big or small it is. When you have a place to put things, you won't clutter up the rest of your shop so much.

Happy New Year everyone. May this be your best year ever!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tom Clark; 01-05-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by BadeMillsap

As for my 2015 plans ... I'm adding some "Rapid Air" piping.
                  I need to make my 2015 list. We are doing major home remodeling so shop projects will be mostly remodeling-oriented.

However, I noticed your Rapid Air comment. I added the Rapid Air system last year. It is fantastic. I still have a bunch more outlets and flex line to run, but having one installed has really helped. My compressor is in the garage, and I had a long hose running into the basement shop. Now there is some orderliness/neatness.
                  Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Tom Clark. Great looking shop! My shop was once that clean. Just once though, not twice.
                    How do you like the slider on your Powermatic?

capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Tom Clark
                      2. In my much smaller NM shop, the cabinets had to be placed differently, but still work efficiently.
                      Smaller shop? Now you're just rubbing it in.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                        . . . however LOML had other ideas for my time, and about cramming junk into my shop instead of where it actually belongs...

LOL This is what happens to me. LOML will push and push me to do something and when I get started, she says "Great, But do this and this first." Once a Month I get a three day weekend (4 day if Monday is a holiday) and instead of me starting or completing a project, she has me taking her to family in Texas, Missouri, GA etc. Then the next week she asks me when I am going to complete the projects!

To me ,cleaning the shop, and specifically putting tools back in order is a part of the build or project. But LOML jumps in before I get started on the cleaning and I just have to pile things on top of things until the next time!
                        But I will enjoy the time with her! Can't complain. I have my priorities!
                        Last edited by leehljp; 01-01-2015, 06:35 PM.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bigstick509
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Macomb, MI, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Clark
                          I have been playing at woodworking for 30+ years, and still my shop is being re-arranged. Shops are never done, always just a work in progress. I built three small shop cabinets last spring to increase storage, and will probably add another one or two this years, just because I like building cabinets. I know I will be helping a neighbor set up his new shop, and help him get started on building his first shop cabinets.

Here are some photos of my shop to help give some ideas to those posters who are talking adding shop cabinets.

1. In an old FL shop I removed all the open stands from small machines and tossed them. Instead of empty wasted space under machines there was now a lot of storage space.

3. My main workbench area surrounds an open assembly area. Notice that as I aged everything below bench height now has drawers instead of doors over open space. Drawers are far more efficient storage.

4. Now that I am mostly retired, I have been spending a lot of time building and designing RC airplanes - a life-long hobby. This is my model corner.

5. Shop carts provide more table area when things are getting crowded.

6. My big machines are bunched together in the center of the floor, so they can share dust collection without having to have dust pipes spread all over the shop. I just cringe when seeing shop tours that show where their owners have to step over dust lines! Not a practical way to work. This area is about 9'x12' and holds 8 machines and a large multi-use table that serves double purpose. Things stored under it and as an out feet table for two machines.

My shop cabinets were built over a 30 year span, and most were fun weekend projects. Photo 3 shows the new 17 drawer toolbox I built last spring. It only took 4 days to build. Learn the basics and cabinet building goes very fast. It is amazing how much stuff this thing holds. It emptied several other drawers in the shop.

I have been saying for years that shop cabinets don't take room from your shop, but rather double the space you do have, no matter how big or small it is. When you have a place to put things, you won't clutter up the rest of your shop so much.

Happy New Year everyone. May this be your best year ever!
                          Great looking shops. For 2015 my goal is to improve task lighting. I have a few swing arm lights as pictured in number 3&4 shots but have not been happy with my setup. Your installation gives me some promising alternative mountings options. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Tom Clark
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Deming, NM
                            • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Originally posted by capncarl
                            Tom Clark. Great looking shop! My shop was once that clean. Just once though, not twice.
                            How do you like the slider on your Powermatic?
                            capncarl
                            Any table saw with a sliding table really makes fast work out of working with sheet goods. I first had a small Delta contractor's saw and added a Mule sliding table, but it would only cross cut 30". The PM slider was the first one I saw that would cross cut 50". I bought the slider, then went looking for a used PM to mount it on. I have had it for around 25 years now. Today, I would recommend any of the Grizzly table saws that have a slider that will fit. Far cheaper and built a lot better than my antique.

Comment

Working...