• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Which digital caliper?

I have had the 6" digital caliper from HarborFreight for many years - it showed mm and inches, but not fractions. I found it accurate, and not flimsy like you'd expect for something that cost just over $10.

Now after a long time of not checking it, last week I found it non-functioning, and thought it needed replacement cells. But even with new button cells (battery) it did not work, and I see that the cell slot in it has some stuff on it, like maybe the cells leaked.

So this is the opportunity for me to buy another caliper, this time one that shows fractions. The choices are this from HF, or this from Amazon. (I have prime, so shipping is free).

So, is that $6 difference for superior quality, or just big-store-price? I was happy with the HF caliper, but that leaked battery has me worried - was it the caliper or the battery that caused it?

Of course, there's yet another choice : this offers some more hi-features that I may or may not use.

Or does anybody think the calipers from Lee Valley are better?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I've had the HF version for a couple years now, has worked fine for my needs. I also use the HF LR44 batteries in it, also fine for my needs.

You'll often see coupons for these at $12-14 in the mags, and for that price, if it ever dies, I'll get another.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I had the old one from HF, and it's gotten harder and harder to move over the years. Not sure why... doesn't seem to be bent, and nothing got on it. But I picked up the fractional one to replace it last time I was at HF a month or so ago. I haven't used it enough to fully bless it, but it seems fine.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I have several from HF. Only had one go bad. It seems they cannot take a 2 lb hammer being thrown on top of it. Not me! Glass is out of it, but it actually still works.

I picked up the fraction type a year or two ago and it works great.

I have only had one bad one and it was a 4" type. It flickered on and off, so I returned it and checked the replacement. It was as it should be.
        Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I have the HF "fractional" caliper (Item 68304) which I purchased a year or so ago. First thing I learned was, don't leave the battery in when not in use. I've noticed that about a few digital tools, they never seem to totally shut off, or whatever, and it doesn't take long for the battery to drain while in storage. (I have a Lee-Valley-purchase digital protractor which does the same thing.)

Other than that, it would be hard to beat the price and the delivered accuracy, as my HF caliper works quite nice.

I've checked the accuracy with both micrometers and my rather ancient ancient vernier caliper. I still would prefer the latter, but my eyes are nearly what they once were!

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cork58
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Wasilla, AK, USA.
            • BT3000

Check out General line.
            Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Here's a great digital caliper:

Our measuring tools for woodworking at Garrett Wade are timelessly functional. Explore our wide selection of heirloom-quality measuring and layout tools here.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Hey Dude! That's a better caliper for cheaper! I will try it out this time, even though I have had no complaints with the HF one!

CWS, that might be good advice to file away. I use it rarely enough...
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I've given up on using digital dial calipers. My shop time is infrequent and I seem to always find their batteries dead. The older design which is purely mechanical works better for me.

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by JimD
                    I've given up on using digital dial calipers. My shop time is infrequent and I seem to always find their batteries dead. The older design which is purely mechanical works better for me.
                    Interesting point - just yesterday, I was ruing the fact that I have given away my mechanical calipers to a friend, because now i have to wait for this new one to reach me. I use it pretty infrequently too, so the inconvenience of having to peer and squint to get the values is really not that bad.

Ah well, I've placed the order; so might as well try to manage the batteries now.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      I have the HF "fractional" caliper (Item 68304) which I purchased a year or so ago. First thing I learned was, don't leave the battery in when not in use.
                      Bummer. My old HF one always did that. For years I thought it was getting turned on in the case (I even hollowed out the foam over the power button to make sure). I was hoping it was just a fluke with that unit. I hate taking the battery in and out of things. To the point where I'd like to try to rig up a 'real' power switch if my new one does the same thing.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

That's the one thing, the batteries don't seem to last too long in the HF. OTOH, I buy the LR44 cells 20 at a time on eBay for about 10 cents each including shipping for all my electronics so I don't regret 10 cents for it.

As for the caliper material I have some poly calipers and I still have them after many years, the first pair I bought in about 1992 or so... I still use them but the plastic is soft and gets scratched so I don't know that the jaws are flat anymore affecting accuracy, plus the jaw tips aren't hard enough to mark anything wood or aluminum (see my tutorial on using calipers). Plus they are loose and the head slides too easily. I highly recommend spening a few bucks more for the stainless steel ones.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

For those of you who find the LR44 don't last long enough, you are not crazy; looks like LR44 are inferior to SR44 cells, and your experience is as predicted.

Check this piece out : http://www.truetex.com/buttons.htm.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

SR44 are expensive and hard to find ( I seem to remember $3.50 each several years ago). I buy 2 cards of 10 LR44 for a buck to a buck and a half each card including free shipping (usually from china and it takes a couple of weeks) and don't worry about the cost anymore. Alkalines should have fairly good shelf life in general (several years) due to low self discharge so don't worry about keeping the extras around.

Sometimes at Michaels or Hobby Lobby you can also find them in bulk. Used in a lot of toys, advertising buttons, novelties and gizmos with LEDs etc.

Get the best deals for lr44 battery at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

quantities from lots of 5 to 100.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-27-2014, 09:50 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Burg53
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Hillsdale, NJ, USA.

I was in my local Harbor Freight today and picked up some silver oxide SR44 batteries, item # 40127. They were yellow-tagged (clearance) at 37 cents each. Tried one in my HF caliper and it seems to work just fine. I don't know if this price is everywhere but it seems worth looking into.

Les

Comment

Working...