• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Airbrush for small projects?

Does anybody use one of these small airbrush setups rather than deal with the setup/cleanup of larger spray systems? I was thinking for small projects like boxes etc.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have in the past used a Badger (brand name) for a couple of small things, mostly hobby stuff like my son's one and only Pinewood Derby and of course for when we were into Model Railroading when he was small.

The "air brush" has always been a favorite tool for that kind of work and in my early work days as an technical illustrator, I gained first hand experience using one for photo retouching; not so much by me, but by a particular artist that I worked with. That guy could do some pretty fantastic work with an airbrush and it prompted a lot of interest for me. I just never had the patience for that kind of work though (constant masking and unmasking with frisket paper, etc.

But before I ever got into woodworking, the airbrush was a must-have tool for those things I mentioned above. Back then, I used to have to use cans of "Propel" because I didn't have a compressor. Today that's not a problem, but woodworking projects are much larger and my airbrush has been idle for a long time. I do use a 'touch-up gun' though, quite a bit actually, and I find for spraying finish on smaller to medium-sized woodworking projects it's pretty handy. http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-u...gun-66871.html

Harbor Freight has some nice airbrush products it appears. I can't attest to their quality, but I do have one of their touch up guns and it's pretty nice. Another product that is often overlooked, and that I find good for tool refinishing and a few similar tasks is the 'air eraser'.... looks and operates like an airbrush, but uses an abrasive powder. (Sort of a mini version of a sand blaster.) HF has one of those too, product 68277. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-era...kit-69277.html

Airbrushes come in a few flavors, and I presume you'd want one with the bottles instead of the artist type which only has a 'cup'. Also pay attention to the control mechanism, which can be a single-action button (controls the air flow), or a double-acting which controls both the air and paint control.
    Single-acting has a separate adjustment for the paint, much like a normal spray gun.

Regarding cleaning, be forewarned that it is quite important. Even the slightest residue can jam up them up and even break them if you are not careful. By their size, you simple can't wrench the fittings apart, like with a bigger gun, once they material has dried up inside. So a thorough cleaning is quite essential.

Bottom line, I think an airbrush is an ideal tool if you do miniatures, boxes, toys, etc.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I've used one for years. For the most control, get the dual action. It may be overkill but, IMO, is worth it. I use the Paasche - very well built of brass and can be taken apart right down to the smallest part. Cleaning and maintenance are a must with these as well. Many accessories available (such as larger "jars") for the Paasche. I bought mine at Michael's with a 50% coupon.

If you want a cheap one, HF used to sell one for around $10. If you don't get it perfectly clean, you've not lost that much. However, you do get what you pay for.
      Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Richard,

I remember 'Paashe' quite well, as that that was the main brand that my friend used for his many airbrush art work. As I recall, they were the 'Cadillac' of the market. Another brand, IIRC, that was also popular at the time was Thayer-Chandler; but, I'm not sure if they are around anymore.

I've always used a 'Badger' as they were more in line with my budget. The last I knew, they offered a good variety. I have Models 100 that I used touse or illustration work (before the computer) and 150 for modelling. The latter has interchangeable cups and bottles in a couple of sizes and was available in hobby shops and craft supply stores.

CWS

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

I have a couple around here that used to see some use. I screwed up and developed a needed product though and that took the place of my artistic desires. An airbrush is a tool that demands practice. I don't think that it is all that well suited even for small projects unless you want to use the artistic aspects of it. Look at what they put on license plates and T shirts. An airbrush shines for that type work. Maybe not as well on a little box. Inlay or brush strokes would probably suit you better and last longer.
          Lee

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cwsmith
            Richard,

I remember 'Paashe' quite well, as that that was the main brand that my friend used for his many airbrush art work. As I recall, they were the 'Cadillac' of the market. Another brand, IIRC, that was also popular at the time was Thayer-Chandler; but, I'm not sure if they are around anymore.

I've always used a 'Badger' as they were more in line with my budget. The last I knew, they offered a good variety. I have Models 100 that I used touse or illustration work (before the computer) and 150 for modelling. The latter has interchangeable cups and bottles in a couple of sizes and was available in hobby shops and craft supply stores.

CWS
            I lucked up. A friend of mine who did dental lab work kept talking about his Paasche. So when I decided to buy an airbrush, I looked at one at Michael's. I thought it looked like great quality material and workmanship and, with a coupon, got it pretty cheap. Only later did I learn that Paasche is one of the best on the market.
            Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I used to do a lot of plastic airplane models when I was in my late adolescence and early teens, all of which I would paint the trim on. There was a place here in Binghamton in the 50's and 60's called "Kern's Hobbys" They always had these really great assembled models on display, fully painted and looking very real.

Years later when I started my career as a technical illustrator the group I was in consisted of both technical and commercial artist. I was on the technical side and learning, and on the other side of the office was this very skinny guy (which I also was) who was the airbrush artist. He was a couple of years older than I was and he'd was a fantastic illustrator; even his pencil work made my stuff look amateurish.

We became good friends, and I found out that he was the kid who would make all those models for Kern's. Like me, he was pretty poor back then, and while I'd scrape up some 'paperboy' money to buy a model, he was a bit more enterprising, having worked out a deal with the owner to get model's in exchange for assembling and detailing them... that's where he learned to airbrush.

Arnie used to do all the EJ shoe catalog work, not retouching photos, but taking a single shoe, drawing it, and then airbrush rendering a whole series of styles... black and brown leathers, patent, buck, etc. That guy could do just about anything. Later when I was working, I contracted him to do several compressor rendering for us as well as a lot of photo retouching. Sadly when that kind of work eventually evolved digitally, he dropped out. I saw him this past summer and he was driving delivery for an auto parts distributor.... still one heck of a classy guy though, and I've always appreciated his artistic talent.

CWS

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cwsmith
                I used to do a lot of plastic airplane models when I was in my late adolescence and early teens, all of which I would paint the trim on. There was a place here in Binghamton in the 50's and 60's called "Kern's Hobbys" They always had these really great assembled models on display, fully painted and looking very real.

Years later when I started my career as a technical illustrator the group I was in consisted of both technical and commercial artist. I was on the technical side and learning, and on the other side of the office was this very skinny guy (which I also was) who was the airbrush artist. He was a couple of years older than I was and he'd was a fantastic illustrator; even his pencil work made my stuff look amateurish.

We became good friends, and I found out that he was the kid who would make all those models for Kern's. Like me, he was pretty poor back then, and while I'd scrape up some 'paperboy' money to buy a model, he was a bit more enterprising, having worked out a deal with the owner to get model's in exchange for assembling and detailing them... that's where he learned to airbrush.

Arnie used to do all the EJ shoe catalog work, not retouching photos, but taking a single shoe, drawing it, and then airbrush rendering a whole series of styles... black and brown leathers, patent, buck, etc. That guy could do just about anything. Later when I was working, I contracted him to do several compressor rendering for us as well as a lot of photo retouching. Sadly when that kind of work eventually evolved digitally, he dropped out. I saw him this past summer and he was driving delivery for an auto parts distributor.... still one heck of a classy guy though, and I've always appreciated his artistic talent.

CWS
                Interesting how life evolves as circumstances dictate.
                Richard

Comment

Working...