• Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

Your 2015 Shop Outlook

Since 2014 is all but over and 2015 is drawing near....

For me:

Projects:
    1. Finish the build of the pull out drawer like shelves for my cabinets in the garage.
    2. Refinish the kitchen table.
    3. Build wall cabinets for the garage.
    4. Attach studs to the cinder block walls, and hang said cabinets.
    5. Improve my fastener storage.
    6. Build a cabinet for the tools which hang on the peg board in my garage.
    7. Try to improve my electricity situation in the garage (which may actually be a winter project).
    8. End tables for the living room and night stands for my bed room.
    9. Rebuild/redesign/reconfigure the UTS that failed miserably after about two months. So disappointed in how this project turned out in the end. MDF is the bane of my existence.

Tool wish list;
    1. A planer
    2. A small Benchtop Drill press. (This may create the need to build a Fliptop tool cabinet for space).
    3. Perhaps a Festool Domino.
    5. A Jointer
    6. Something to help with dust collection.

Otherwise I feel like I'm in pretty good shape for the things I want to do, and time I have to do them.

Some DIY solutions.
    1. Figure out a way to mount My Incra LS fence system to my BT3000 into a useable rip fence for my table saw (just want to maximize the value of my purchase)
    2. Make table top extensions for my BT3000.
    3. Perhaps build the MFTC for space considerations, and the fact I have to do most of my dusty work on the driveway.
    4. Dust Collection solutions for a limited amount of space (ie a 1 car garage which is used to park a car most of the time!)

Skill refinement
    1. Spend some time learning how to use my Incra LS fence system to make box joints and dovetails.
    2. Just making more sawdust.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by Neal
    Skill refinement
    1. Spend some time learning how to use my Incra LS fence system to make box joints and dovetails.
    2. Just making more sawdust.
    Neal ... I spent a number of hours doing exactly that this year! The Incra LS system is a true marvel when you FINALLY get the hang of using the templates. A few of things I discovered:
    1. The templates and the hardware are engineered to very exact tolerances ... and that means you have to be very very very careful with things like thickness of stock, moving the fence EXACTLY the same every time which simply means aligning with the template marks exactly the same for every cut (and the LS system makes that fairly easy)

2. PRACTICE is crucial ... every TYPE of joint (dovetail, box, double dovetail, double box ... ) Every one requires some dedicated practice ON STOCK JUST LIKE WHAT YOU WILL BE USING in the final project.

3.If you don't have a really exacting lift on your router .. get one ... you will need it.

4. The router bits for the various joints (like dovetails) really need to be exactly what is called for by the template. I bought an "Incra Set" from MLCS and they work well .. I tried using some bits I already had ... did not work well at all.

Once you get it down, it's really pretty easy but time spent practicing is really important.

As for my 2015 plans ... I'm adding some "Rapid Air" piping.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

Build Shop wall cabinets
      Built new shaper table stand
      Finish dust collection piping
      Try really hard not to lose my patience and maybe gain some in the process
      End the year with 10 working digits

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Well the major improvement for 2014 was the addition of a third garage for my shop. It is 14x28 which is small but will give me enough space to build things. We put a room over it and expanded the room over the existing garage and added a big dormer to finish another attic space. The shop got a ceiling - necessary because there is finished space above, lights and one 20A 120V circuit with one plug. I did the electrical final on the rooms over the garages, painted them, installed hardwood floors and did the finish carpentry. That is done. Sheet rock is going up in the other attic space - I paid the contractor to put it up in the other spaces, and then there will be paint and floors and finish carpentry.

So at least the rest of this year is full of house projects. Next year the bathrooms need redone and this old house needs lots of other TLC. So the shop isn't likely to get finish electrical walls, cabinets, etc.. I think my first project will be a rolling bench with storage under it. I also need to make a parallel guide for my track saw. A new kitchen is on the list too.... Lots of projects which is a good thing but also very time consuming - keeps me out of trouble.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I think that I reduced my dust by 50% in 2014! My goal for 2015 is to reduce my dust by 50%. In 2016 I will strive reduce that by 50% more. In 5 years I should have dust reduced to a point that I can start using paper to write on rather than writing in the dust on my tablesaw. In 2020 I will take a math class if the dust has not killed me by then.
          Merry Christmas
          capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
            I think that I reduced my dust by 50% in 2014! My goal for 2015 is to reduce my dust by 50%. In 2016 I will strive reduce that by 50% more. In 5 years I should have dust reduced to a point that I can start using paper to write on rather than writing in the dust on my tablesaw. In 2020 I will take a math class if the dust has not killed me by then.
            Merry Christmas
            capncarl
            I think 2014 had me producing the least amount of dust vs all previous years because I was in the shop so little. So in 2015 I want to double my dust output over 2014. I am going to buy a Super Dust Deputy so most of that dust should end up in the trash bin.

In the past my to-do lists maybe have been too ambitious. By the end of 2015, I want to be able to say I saw the surface of my TS, out feed table, and extension table clear more than 50% of the time I walk into the shop and not think, "Ah, sh*t."

I also want to be able to use my chop saw bench at the back of the shop again.

Finally, I want something that I produce in the shop to earn me another blue ribbon at the county Fair.

Paul

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

My goal in 2015 is simple in statement, but difficult in practice: to keep fine-tuning my shop. I want to keep slowly removing clutter, and making better use of space. I think I made more specific goals on my blog, but I find my needs change from week to week, so thus the more general approach.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Start the 2014 list.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

As previously stated I will continue to try reduce my dust problem. But may main goal is to make my wood cart disappear. It currently lives in my auto shop side of the shop and takes up so much room I can hardly get around it. That will require a total re-organize of my wood shop, install a wall wood rack. That'll about do it for 2015.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

For me: Clean up the shop so that I can find some lost tools!

Part 2, Move my tool chests away from near the door and move my BT3000 and 12" Makita DB-SMS (both of which are on Bosch Gravity Rise stands) near the door so that I can move them outside when needed. Currently, their "space" is at the rear of my shop - not good for mobile tools to be in the back. Put them where they can be accessed and used easily!
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

For me 2015 will be establishing my first dedicated shop having worked out of my garage for many years. Having started the conversion of an existing outbuilding back in September I thought I would be nearly done by now but many "gotchas" have prevented this.

Right now I am running some extra electrics and then I have a couple of DC runs to put under the floor. Once that is done I can actually get the floor back down (hopefully for good), put the wall paneling back and give the place a coat of paint. Then I can start to bring some tools in and begin building and organizing the cabinets etc.

Its been a long time coming and I am excited to have a space I can simply walk in to turn on the lights and start work.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Here's my current to do list for the shop for 2015
                        Finish ultimate tool stand
                        Build UTS mounts for:
                        Cutting frame
                        Ryobi disk/belt sander
                        Rigid drum sander
                        Ryobi grinder
                        Kreg jig
                        Porter Cable dovetail jig
                        Chain Saw Grinder
                        Build sanding station
                        Build drill press table
                        Finish table saw
                        Repair radial arm saw
                        Build Hand Tool Storage Cabinet

My 2014 Accomplishments are below with some photos
                        Caulk floor trim
                        Add Combination lock to service door
                        Build attic seal
                        Mount compressor hose reel
                        Hang scaffolding
                        Repair and Paint Hardware Storage Cabinet This turned out to take about three long weekends. It was a garage sale freebie, an old tape storage cabinets that has 5 4" x 26" slots in each drawer. Rusted and filthy when I got it.

Build Festool Storage
                        Hang Festool rails
                        Hang Festool parallel guides

My old Festool Storage, now ready for refurbishment.

All my Festool stuff in one place and organized.

Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't get nearly all I wanted done in 2014.... So I am going to keep my 2014 outlook simple...

#1. Clean the shop. It desperately needs it.
                          #2. Finish insulating the remaining wall. It REALLY needs that last bit done.
                          #3. Finish the drawers for the miter saw cabinet.
                          #4. Build a sheet goods / cutoffs cart.

I will be happy if I get all that done, anything else is just gravy.
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Montgomery, AL.
                            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

My to-do list:
                            Clean the friggin' shop!

Seriously, I'm tripping over stuff like crazy. I think I have a workbench in there somewhere...but like so many others, if I can find a flat surface, I'm going to cover it.

I'm going to try to reorganize things little and actually get rid of a storage cabinet. I have an old enclosed 42u server rack that I made a cabinet out of, but if I can redo just a little, that is a huge chunk of metal that I can haul off.
                            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • Barrie ON Canada
                              • BT 3000

Unfortunately I worked way too much this year so I will have to start my 2014 list again. I hope to once again reclaim my shop from all the things that find their way there when I am not in it. I hope to get my table saw upgrade completed. Sell of some of the tools that I have duplicates of. Add some shelves where we used to store fire wood. And set up my Incra LS system.

Regards Bob

Comment

Working...