• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Magnetic Catch Question

I am building a small box, with a door opening on the front. I want the exterior to appear to be solid, with no opening. I am using barrel hinges. I would like to use a magnetic catch on the other side, but I want it hidden from the outside--and inside for that matter since the door is Lexan.

Can I use rare earth magnets for this? I've never used them, so not sure how strong they are. I don't want it super strong, but I don't want it to fall open, either. Would I use one on one side and use a screw or something on the other side? Any other hardware options? I am going to Woodcraft tomorrow and don't have time to order--last minute Christmas gift, of course.
    Joe
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

I use rare earth magnets on virtually every small box lid/door. Typically one magnet and a screw or something metal. Two REM's together are pretty strong and you then have to be careful with alignment.

They come in several diameters and that kinda dictates strength.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

They may be too large but some magnets can be purchased with steel receptacles that you screw or glue on and then the magnet just holds itself inside. There are also little metal washers you can buy for them to attract. So you might want more than just the magnet.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

REM to REM is quite strong (assuming you have the poles correctly oriented),
        REM to steel is also strong. Put a layer of wood or air between it and its quite manageable. Like .05 or 1/16th veneer over the magnet.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...