why don't more rightys use lefty tape measures?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

why don't more rightys use lefty tape measures?

My 25' Stanley tape measure is about to be retired. There's a 1/4" tear in the tape around the 1" mark. I went to HD and was faced with a wall of tapes. As I tried them out, none suited me. I have a right handed tape, but in use, I generally hook the end to the right side of the board as I face it, pull the tape to the left, and use my writing hand (right) to mark my cut.

I've got to admit, though, that I'm partly ambidextrous. I write right (but can write backwards, but not forwards with my left), I saw with my left hand, and hammer with my left (unless the right side has better access).

Assuming most of you are rightys, how are you using your tapes? Hook it on the left side, pull it right, then switch hands so you can mark it with your right?

Any recommendations on lefty tapes?

Paul
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

More than once, OK, many times I have wanted a steel rule with the numbers from right to left on the bottom side.

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

I am right handed but for some reason find myself measureing from the right side more than from the left. And, I like for the measurement marks to be on the bottom.

It IS right to left on the top but I hate having to lean over the top for precise measurements.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Apparently Lee Valley feels the same way as me

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

amazon lists several left or reverse tape measures. But not much cheaper than Lee Valley's.

Out of curiosity I looked for replacement tapes for retracting tape measures (esp Stanleys) and you can get them, but not leftys. Cheap though in many cases so you might find it economical to repair yours if you can get the tape. OTOH if the whole thing is worn then a new one may be in order.

Frankly I hook on the left and pull to the right mostly, probably because the way the miter saw is set up, but I don't recall wishing it read the other way. I can mostly read upside down (a useful office skill when sitting across from your boss or visiting a vendor/supplier if they don't have the sense to put away sensitive documents).
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-01-2014, 10:33 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I had the same problem, and switched to FastCap lefty/righty tape measures. Not terribly expensive.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Most of my tapes are from HF. They are just generally used. Not real or reel good for accuracy. They may be, but I value the lock on a tape. Stanley
            makes the best as far as projects go.
            Just a reminder, always start and end using the same tape.
            To answer the question, left to right almost always.
            Lee

Comment

• trungdok
              Established Member
              • Oct 2012
              • MA

Now that you mentioned it, I've always pulled from left to right, lock it, let the tape go, grab my pencil with my right hand, then do the marking. What a waste!!! I got to try going from right to left.

Comment

• frumper64
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Garland, Tx, USA.

I'm a righty, but I almost always hook the tape on the left end and pull to the right. Not sure why, but I've just always done it that way. ˆ've got a couple of tapes that automatically lock when you pull them out and then you push the button to retract them. I find the auto locking an incredibly handy feature. I got them at Lowes as I recall, but it has been quite a while ago.
                Jim
                64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I have never thought about left/right hand tapes. I think you are pulling our legs! Like this week one of my co-workers had everyone convinced that his prescription pills had a special coating with several time release features and had to be swallowed a certain way, and had a this end first mark on the pill. He actually had a pill with him that said it, turns out ot was a fake like the fake lottery tickets we used on him earlier.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

I find that most tape measures I own are graduated on both sides. So I can pull the tape right to left, and mark with my right hand - for me, reading upside down is not a sufficient inconvenience to warrant buying a new tape measure. If they weren't graduated both sides, I might be tempted.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I had some free time tonight so picked up this Fastcap Lefty/Righty tape at Woodcraft:

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

My first impression is that it's not my Stanley. The rubberized housing will take a little getting used to. The tape is also very "verbose". Hopefully it's not information overload as the fractions are spelled out. The writing surface on the side seems handy. I'll see if I ever use the pencil sharpener since I mostly use a mechanical pencil. I'll probably be removing the belt clip. I did get the same measurements between the two tapes so that makes me feel good. Hope it outlasts my yellow Stanley.

In case you needed any more evidence that you may have been using the wrong tape this whole time:

Though statistics vary, it seems on average that 10 percent of the population is left-handed. So here’s a little experiment for all you right-handers (and one that shocked both Glen Huey and me, because in our collective 34 or so years of woodworking, we’ve never noticed this): – Pick up your tape measure in one...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

As a left dominate person, I've grown acustomed to using what was given/handed to me. I picked up the Fastcap ones mentioned (although I wish there were more lengths), and like them, but remember, use one tape for the whole project (plan accordingly).
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                          I find that most tape measures I own are graduated on both sides. So I can pull the tape right to left, and mark with my right hand - for me, reading upside down is not a sufficient inconvenience to warrant buying a new tape measure. If they weren't graduated both sides, I might be tempted.
                          I was going to say something along these lines, but I'll just say "me too" since you said it well.

I've never really paid attention to how I measure. I do whatever seems most convenient on each particular measurement.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

My problem with tapes is the size. I really like the size of my old 10' white face Lufkin, it did not pull down my pants when hooked on my belt and I could actually put it in my pocket, and when I went in a store with it they were not suspicious that I had half their inventory in my pocket.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

Although I have a bunch of the free HF tapes I keep handy around the house, shop and car for quick measurements, I default to the last one I bought - a FastCap flatback - love this for project measuring; thankfully graduated both sides, but it too will read upside down when I use for marking. But its not small or all that light, so mainly resides on/around my workbench.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...