I just came across this new Craig's list posting in our area:

• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

yesiree, Kentucky moonshine.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

It's probably a sting. A trap waiting on the first good ole boy that wants to cut his liquor bill.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Doesn't look like he is sampling his own stuff (no horrible spelling).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I use to have a sign in my office saying "BEING STUPID DOESN'T COUNT AS ONE OF THE THINGS YOU ARE GOOD AT". I think this craiglister excells at stupid.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

It's legal in many places to brew or distill for your own personal consumption the 4 gal model isn't really an outrageous idea. Unless you are a REAL hard drinker 50 gal might be a stretch to convince ATF it was for personal use......
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Pappy, I've heard that as well, but I was informed by someone in the ATF that it was illegal to mfg any distilled spirits. Beer and wine are the only 2 legals. Maybe that was in Ga. It may be different on other areas?

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by capncarl
                Pappy, I've heard that as well, but I was informed by someone in the ATF that it was illegal to mfg any distilled spirits. Beer and wine are the only 2 legals. Maybe that was in Ga. It may be different on other areas?
                I've heard the same. Beer and wine OK, but distilled absolutely not.

Mythbusters did a moonshine episode, and in order to make their own stuff they actually got a distiller's license from the ATF.

Either way, the argument could be made that owning (or even making) a still isn't illegal. Using one is. Therefore, while still not a good idea, there're no laws being broken by the poster of the ad. He says it works, but that could be to distill water for other purposes for all we know.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Naturally fermented alcohol such as beer, wine, and mead are legal I believe. I know for a fact beer and wine are, and I am about 90% sure mead falls under the wine category and is thus legal... But distilling your own spirits is frowned upon by the legal authorities.

Having said that, I don't believe distilling your own ethanol for use as a motor fuel is illegal. Might have to look into that...

Okay looked into it. And while I am no fan of NPR, they have a well written article on the subject. To put it short, any distillation of alcohol MUST be done with a permit to avoid federal felonies. Including usage for human consumption, and usage as a solvent or fuel.

A still is not illegal in and of itself. It is what you DO with that still that becomes illegal. For example it is perfectly legal to distill your own water.
                  Last edited by dbhost; 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• alpha
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I don't believe distilling your own ethanol for use as a motor fuel is illegal. Might have to look into that...

Okay looked into it. And while I am no fan of NPR, they have a well written article on the subject. To put it short, any distillation of alcohol MUST be done with a permit to avoid federal felonies. Including usage for human consumption, and usage as a solvent or fuel.

A still is not illegal in and of itself. It is what you DO with that still that becomes illegal. For example it is perfectly legal to distill your own water.
                    Do you happen to have a link to the NPR article?

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Just what I need. I will put it out in the backyard and conceal it with my backyard Pot grow. As my old sainted uncle would say it is for medicinal purposes.

Comment

Working...