X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

What to do when the wood is more than the cost of a finished good

So, in another thread I posted that I am making a wall cabinet. I was thinking about trying to make some raised panel doors, but, I can buy the doors (that match our existing cabinets) cheaper than I can buy the wood to make them. I can buy the door in unfinished oak for $22. It's a solid panel door that is 16x22x3/4. I can't buy the lumber for that!

What would you do?
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

If you are completely happy with the fit and finish of the ready made doors, go with them. If there is any chance you will regret it later, build your own.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

A friend of mine with a very well-equipped metal shop summed it up best one time when he said "Why buy something commercially available when I can make it myself for twice the price?" ...
      Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I wish this would happen to me more! I was ready to buy kitchen cabinets from IKEA but could not find a configuration to meet my needs. A year later, I'm still working on the dang kitchen and not other things I'd rather be doing.

To answer your question, I'd definitely buy the door!

Comment

• sailor55330
          Established Member
          • Jan 2010

I've looked at the door very closely. It seems to be built well--exact same construction that is in my kitchen from the builder. I can find no gaps anywhere. Since it's unfinished, the final sanding is up to me and I will finish it with clear poly to match the other cabinets in the house. I'm not that great at building, but finishing seems to come easier to me. I used 2 of these doors about 2 years ago before I was up to the task of thinking about building them. They are going strong with no issues, so for the price, I think I have to buy them.

In the meantime, I'll try to make some out of scraps for the shop to see if I can do it.

Thanks again all

Comment

• Carpenter96
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Barrie ON Canada
            • BT 3000

I built a set of 12 dining chairs for my self and when I went to pick up the wood for them the Hardwood dealer asked what I was going to make and why I would not just buy them from a company that specializes in chairs. Well I had a specific design in mind and a custom size of the chairs. I just wanted to do it myself. It was a great experience. Now cabinet doors on the other hand I have bought them because I can not even come close to the price they offer. The ones I have bought have been excellent quality. I build the boxes myself.

Regards Bob

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Carpenter96
              I built a set of 12 dining chairs for my self and when I went to pick up the wood for them the Hardwood dealer asked what I was going to make and why I would not just buy them from a company that specializes in chairs. Well I had a specific design in mind and a custom size of the chairs. I just wanted to do it myself. It was a great experience. Now cabinet doors on the other hand I have bought them because I can not even come close to the price they offer. The ones I have bought have been excellent quality. I build the boxes myself.

Regards Bob
              I have similar feelings. I have a lot of things I want to make on my lathe, and could probably dedicate my remaining years I'll spend in my shop to wood turning. I'm not really feeling any overwhelming desire to master the craft of building doors. . Not to mention the added expense of buying the specialized panel bits for the router.
              Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Do you WANT to build the doors? If so for what reason? (say you did, or experience for later)
                What projects do you have to do and what do you want to do?
                If I weren't changing the doors, but trying to adapt/complete something (aka, make her happy), the premade doors, save you time, money and win you brownie points for saving both, getting her stuff done, and may help you in the future (on a wants purchase), while giving you more time for a wants project.
                If you want to build this to learn how, for other/future projects, then build it.
                Just my $.02
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

Good points from all-

For now, if I am honest, my skills aren't up to the task and I don't think I have the correct tools to make the project, so for now, I'll probably buy the doors since they will be in a high traffic area and visible. Shop cabinet doors I will try since the only one who will care is me.

Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...