• Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

[QUOTE=dbhost;534897]Bob,
    The new doc I am seeing is running a snot load of tests considering the symptomology for hormonal imbalances / insensitivity to things like Thyroid, Testosterone, Cortisol etc... You may or may not be aware that the excess weight can throw your hormones off, causing more weight gain, throwing your hormones off, causing more weight gain... You get the picture...

Get in to see a doc, and if the one you are seeing can't / won't help you, find another one! I've been busting my hump on this that and the other diet for years, watching my energy and health slip more and more away while all the doctors have been able to tell me is "loose weight". Really? You need a PhD to tell me that? I am sick and (expletive) tired of being told what the symptoms are and addressing symptoms, without addressing the causes. The practice I am trying now came referred to me by a colleague (formerly at 425lbs and 5 foot 8, now 210lbs and going down) so I figure he's got to be on the right track...
    [QUOTE]

Check out this article which goes along with what you are talking about.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Neal
      ...Check out this article which goes along with what you are talking about.

http://fusion.net/story/42619/why-te...of-the-future/
      A thorough read into the article linked, and I must say, that beyond the first section, at least for my health issue, no need to go beyond the first section. This article is heavily biased toward trans gender female to male body modification via testosterone therapy. I won't go into the social / political / moral discussion on that subject beyond to say that is not my case here. I am running all original parts with no modifications beyond some accident driven dental repair work...

A couple of quick snippets from a simple quick scan of the article sum up pretty much, but not 100% how I have been feeling...

I’m not feeling good. I’m sleepy all the time. All I want to do is sit down and eat potato chips and watch TV. Something’s not right.
      And...
      Clinics like his don’t work like most doctors’ offices do, where they are limited by what insurance companies will pay for.
      I started off with a long winded write up about this whole thing, but these two quotes really do sum it up. I am sick of this, and sick of not being tested and treated properly by health care professionals because my insurance will only pay for treatment of the symptoms instead of testing for / treatment for the disorder... Maybe I am just naive thinking doctors should treat the disease / disorder and not just the immediate symptom. But treating the symptom seems to be the way to turn a quick easy buck in the health care biz while keeping the insurance carrier happy.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
        My wife and I are going to considerable effort, and expense to convert to as much as possible, fully organic sourced foods. We have a grocery chain here in Texas named HEB that even though they are a mainstream grocer, they carry an extensive, and ever growing line of organic foods.
        Unfortunately the term "organic" is not federally regulated - and there have been some vendors selling conventionally grown food as "organic". Just a caution, and one of those cases where it pays to know the seller and buy from a seller you trust. I'm always a little suspicious of the "organic" food at the grocery chains, for example, especially after a local news report caught one of the local chains putting apples from the same box into both the "organic" and "regular" bins.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Neal
          Established Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
          A thorough read into the article linked, and I must say, that beyond the first section, at least for my health issue, no need to go beyond the first section. This article is heavily biased toward trans gender female to male body modification via testosterone therapy. I won't go into the social / political / moral discussion on that subject beyond to say that is not my case here. I am running all original parts with no modifications beyond some accident driven dental repair work...

A couple of quick snippets from a simple quick scan of the article sum up pretty much, but not 100% how I have been feeling...

And...

I started off with a long winded write up about this whole thing, but these two quotes really do sum it up. I am sick of this, and sick of not being tested and treated properly by health care professionals because my insurance will only pay for treatment of the symptoms instead of testing for / treatment for the disorder... Maybe I am just naive thinking doctors should treat the disease / disorder and not just the immediate symptom. But treating the symptom seems to be the way to turn a quick easy buck in the health care biz while keeping the insurance carrier happy.
          I'm not going to delve into the transgender issues either. Was simply reading and gleaning the same parts you did.

I agree with the Doc's and the way they are dictated to by the insurance companies. My wife has been fighting battles with a variety of issues causing her significant pain. And the goose chase has been ongoing for months.

It sounds like there is some real merit to the T supplementation, though. Unfortunately it also seems to be limited in its reach as the costs are very high.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

I am simply not getting much progress in my weight loss.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

In limbo right now. Working with Doc, lots of testing going on. Was instructed to "eat your regular diet" and get the measurements on this that and the other blood / hormone / cholesterol whatever blah blah blah... So not doing anything fancy. Not strict Atkins per se, but tending toward vegetables and proteins way more than grains for sure...

She has us reading up on Paleo diet. And LOTS of Omega 3s... Have more testing to do this week. Hopefully will get answers and a treatment plan soon...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                Established Member
                • Aug 2011
                • Barrie ON Canada
                • BT 3000

I have been lucky in that I just spent a week at our training center in Las Vegas with an incredible buffet at every meal. I lost just over half a pound but I figure it was the fact that there were many protein, vegetable and fruit choices and I stayed away from the other carbs. Just glad I did not gain.

Regards Bob

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, so I was WAY Off. Doc had me reading up on some articles on nutrition science (She knows I am more than a bit of a geek and I need to understand things in detail...). It would appear cholesterol has in the blood has WAY more to do with what the body makes via Carbohydrates than intake via fatty foods...

Started doing what I will call a messed up version of Paleo since I don't have all the info absorbed yet. For example my Fajita Chicken and veggie salad for lunch... I kind of forgot to bypass the black beans... But I did bypass all the other stuff containing simple carbohydrates...

Blood analysis was a bit ugly too, nothing that needs drugs at this point, but radical diet change and supplementation... We had a long discussion on eating more fish, she is very much for, I am for, in a different part of the country... I miss fresh caught fish in Oregon... Coldwater fish when fresh can't be beat!

If anyone has any tips, pointers, or good links on how to Paleo, I could really use the help... I already told the doc I am not interested in Statins, I am interested in fixing the root cause...

Not going to be able to make the gym again until Friday, working long days through Thursday... Will be glad to get back into the swing of things...

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

My gap in logging is due to some bad weight gains due to well... My stupidity. However for at least the last 1.5 weeks after starting on a different track diet wise, as well as supplementation I am down again, so I am logging again...

FWIW, I am down 10lbs from the Dr. visit if that tells you how bad the weight gain went...

Trying to stick with the Paleo thing as I try my best to understand it... It's nowhere near as straight forward as Atkins, and not nearly as easy to follow, but I get what they are going for and why, I am just having trouble finding recipes that work, and dining out is a REAL problem... Which causes me fits because, well my wife and I are scary busy...

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Coming up with some good Paleo recipes, and some real awful ones as well...

I've got chopped steak with mushroom ready to go for most likely tomorrow night. Tonight has to be faster than that as I have to rush grab breakfast (been one of those days,) then home, let the dog out, then dart straight to to the gym...

Must make sure I take my shaker bottle home for my protein shakes. Those have really been helping...

Comment

• Neal
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Last week was my first real setback since I started on the challenge. My "Cheat" day went way overboard as my wife and I split a 16" pizza and I didn't practice the art of moderation, and ate my half.

As a result I'm up a little.

I have increased my time on my elliptical to 35 minute sessions. I'll probably max at 40 next week. It is the true definition of monotony. The only thing which saves my bacon on this is that I am watching old NYPD Blue episodes. It gets me through it.

Perhaps when the weather breaks, I will try pounding the pavement again.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Yesterday was a good day, just prior to going to bed... I stayed up late studying for a cert exam, and got the hungries... Dangit...

For breakfast I had an omelette with 2 eggs, spinach, bell pepper, onion and ham.

I couldn't get away from my desk for lunch...

Dinner was a Gyro platter with sliced Gyro, Greek salad minus the feta, and greek meatballs... I know dairy isn't really Paleo, but I am not getting rid of all dairy for my sanity sake, and I did enjoy the Tsaziki with my Gyro... I wish the still did the grilled lamb kabobs...

Anyway, I went bad and had Tamales for a late night catch up because my belly button was gnawing on my backbone kind of thing... Ugh...

I found my scale was acting up due to low batteries, I need to edit the sheet to reflect my "official" from the Dr. Office, but I am embarassed to admit where I started. For what it's worth though, I am down 12 lbs and starting to feel it a bit better...

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Great job everyone!

Do we want to start another round? I can set up a new spreadsheet.

I'm finding the "competition" very motivational and it really helps with my own reduction efforts. Thanks for the support guys!
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

Congrats Woodturner! You and dbhost were neck and neck. I'm in for another one. All I did this round was gain weight.
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
                                Slow and steady
                                • Apr 2008
                                • League City, Texas
                                • Ryobi BT3100

I'm up for another one. I slipped on my diet / workout due to work schedule, so my weight bumped up a couple of lbs. Having this competition going is helping keep me motivated...

Comment

Working...