• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's My Fault

Last Friday my wallet was stolen. I was in a grocery store getting checked out. The cashier had finished and issued the receipt for me to sign. At the same time, she started to check out the woman next to me. I remember putting my credit card back in my wallet, and was moving my bags to the end. I must have set the wallet down when signing, and the woman's stuff was already starting to move down, and she must have had that moment that the wallet was covered, or she covered it.

I didn't realize I didn't have it until I finished loading the truck, and got in to drive away, and didn't feel it in my back pocket. I looked all around where I loaded the truck, looked in the bags thinking I may have dropped it in one of them. Not there. I headed back into the store and asked the checkout woman if someone turned in a wallet. Nope.

So I noticed that there was a security camera at each register, and asked the manager if he could take a look. He came out and said the woman right behind me took it. I'm thinking what the heck good are security cameras if they aren't monitored. It may be asking too much for those types of stores to monitor their cameras. The theft might have been caught, and stopped on the spot.

It was one of those senior moments. I've got nobody but myself to blame. I have never lost keys or a wallet in my life. What a PITA, canceling credit cards, ordering a new drivers license, health cards, etc.

But there is a good side to this, which is a stretch. I have another brand new wallet that my wife bought for me when she went to Italy 2 years ago. I haven't used it because the one I was using was still in good shape (she gave me that one too about 15 years ago). I hate to throw anything away.

• sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If the woman behind you used a credit or debit card like you did to pay for her stuff then I would think it would be very easy to identify her. All that would have to be done is to check the registers transaction/time stamp memory. What did the police have to say about this?

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by sweensdv
      If the woman behind you used a credit or debit card like you did to pay for her stuff then I would think it would be very easy to identify her. All that would have to be done is to check the registers transaction/time stamp memory. What did the police have to say about this?
      The manager did check, and she paid cash. The police took a report, but don't do anything about it because it was a misdemeanor. I would have to have gone to the State's Attorney's office to file a complaint and to get a copy of the tape if possible. I only had about $30 in the wallet, and it's not likely a TV station would run the video for such a small take.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Maybe the store would put up a flier on their bulletin board, if they have one. If they were to simply ask their customers if anybody knows this person, you might get the name or other information.

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

I always carry my wallet in my right back pocket, but my pocket had a big hole in it that allowed my wallet to fall out. I would carry it in my left. I made a small purchase and out of habit stuck it in the right pocket and it fell to the floor unnoticed by me. Yep, it was gone when I panicked and ran back looking for it and the security cameras didn't catch anybody taking it, it may have stuck around for a few steps. Anyhow, I wrote that 40 bucks off and was mostly annoyed at having to replace driver license and bank cards and credit cards and so forth. By the time I got home my wallet had been found thrown up in one of the checkout displays, light on the money of course, so maybe yours was tossed aside someplace as the crooks don't like to keep evidence.

About those security cameras, they are mostly to catch the cashiers stealing and not for customer protection. Who would be able to monitor them all the time and recognize a wallet snatch when it happened.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I did exactly the same thing about a year ago at a Home Depot store. As I sat into the driver's seat after loading my car, I felt my back pocket to make sure my wallet was still there. It wasn't. I ran back into the store and although several customers had checked out, my wallet was lying exactly where I had left it. Wow! Was I lucky.
            Hope things work out for you C'man. It's a PITA to cancel everything.
            Richard

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, Cman, that really sucks.... Good luck with getting your cards reissued, I can only imagine what a PITA that is..
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Wow, Cman, that really sucks.... Good luck with getting your cards reissued, I can only imagine what a PITA that is..
                You might want to watch your credit rating for a while just in case she tries to use your ID to open some more accounts.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, sorry to hear that you lost

your wallet like that. LOML forgot her purse in a shopping cart at the grocery store, about 2 blocks away she realized what she had done. Went back and the purse was gone. She went inside, talked to the manager, called the police, etc. PITA is correct by all the phone calls had to be made. Anyway, we got a call from Denny's restaurant, that her DL, credit cards, and the rest was found and turned in to them. Long story short, the only thing missing was the purse, not a cheap one to add.
                  But as Daryl mentioned about the cameras, mainly for store employees. It would be hard to be on the look out for the action done in your case.
                  Also, Bob (BobSch) made a great post too. We have watched her, (wife's) credit online. It may cost a little for that service, but it'll catch any attemps at getting credit by the culprit(s). Here's hoping they get caught soon. And you never loose your wallet again.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Two events for me:
                    1. About a year ago, my mother in law was visiting and my wife sprained her ankle on the weekend so we went to the emergency room at a fairly large hospital in Southaven MS. An hour after arriving back home (30 miles away), my MIL discovered her purse missing. we remembered that she placed it on the IV holder on the hospital wheelchair that we used to take LOML to the car after the visit.

Did we get the purse or not? I called, they let me watch their video from my skype. We didn't see it there, so we figured someone took it while LOML and the wheel chair was in a semi-blind spot, and while MIL was walking to open the door to the car just after I pulled up.

Well, it was in the coats and MIL had brought it in the house and put it in a drawer for some reason. NOT lost, just misplaced.

HOWEVER, before we discovered that, the hospital was VERY helpful and especially letting me watch the security tapes via Skype.

2. In Japan, I pulled out my wallet to pay the toll booth on the way home and did not put it back in my pocket, but stuck it in my lap. At home, I got out to take some things in the house before parking the van. The wallet dropped to the ground on the street.

Next moring, panicing and looking, I rushed out and found my wallet and all the money in the mail box.

A friend came to visit us in Japan and left her purse in a mall. Two hours and 20 miles later, she realized it was missing. Back to the mall, to the security center and there it was!

There are some great things about Japan!
                    Last edited by leehljp; 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp

2. In Japan, I pulled out my wallet to pay the toll booth on the way home and did not put it back in my pocket, but stuck it in my lap. At home, I got out to take some things in the house before parking the van. The wallet dropped to the ground on the street.

Next moring, panicing and looking, I rushed out and found my wallet and all the money in the mail box.
                      Friday night wife and I were talking and I mentioned that the woman might have second thoughts about her misdeed, and sometime during the night put my wallet in the mailbox. Saturday morning I checked...no wallet. Think I'll just put a hex on her.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • westchester cnty, ny

wallet loss/theft is a royal PITA. had it happen once a long time ago and don't envy the BS you have to go through replacing/cancelling stuff.
                        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I dropped my wallet on the way to pick up pizza for the family when I was home for college. It was in a so-so part of town. I had the wallet in the front pouch of a fleece jacket and it fell out when I came back to the car. Anyway, when I got home, my dad was especially annoyed with me--I remember him always being annoyed with me during college but this was worse. He asked me, "Where's your wallet?!". I patted myself down and it was nowhere. He said some girl found it on the street and called our home number on my DL. I had to drive back and pick it up. She wouldnt even accept a small cash reward. Nothing missing and I didnt have any CCs to cancel, although, my dad made it seem like I had just lost the nuclear launch codes. Yeesh.

A year after I graduated, I went to a night club with friends. I didn't bring a wallet, just some cash and my DL which I put in my back pocket. There was so much smoke in the club, the next day I washed the pants at the local laundromat. I didn't have a car and I never used the DL for anything except going out on weekends so I rarely checked for the DL in my wallet. About a week later, I get a letter in the mail and inside was just my DL which looked a little like a shrinkydink because it had fallen out in the drier and got a little melted and warped.

Paul

Comment

• jdon
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                            • BT3100

Somehow we must have the same dad!

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

After reading these posts, it seems there still are a lot or really honest people left in the world. It's too bad there are a few that can mess things up.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...