X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • signman
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2008

The easiest way I have found to do around boxes is to measure xy to box then nail drywall in place but not close to box. Then measure your xy form known points you have and mark and cut with drywall knife or saw. Then finish nailing secure after cutout is finished. Cut little smaller and then enlarge to fit tight to box. Do not like lifting drywall any more then necessary.

Comment

• HOTROCKS

What is the "X Y" method ?
      Last edited by Black wallnut; 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

XY is measure the height from the floor and measure from one side of the rock. On square boxes I measure to one corner. On round I measure to the center. When I hung the rock in the bath last weekend, I tried something new and did XY, cut a little small with the drywall handsaw, then fine tuned when I brought the rock inside. It was actually quicker, easier and quieter than my rotozip. This may be the first job where I don't need the oversize outlet plates.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

I have used many of the posted methods one way or another. I just want to say, if the hole is too big and the plate won't cover it, I will rim it with tape and mud it. Joint compound is wonderful for fixing mistakes.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• knotley
            Established Member
            • Apr 2003
            • Canada.

Originally posted by messmaker
            Put lipstick on the edge of the boxes. Put the drywall in place. Remove and cut on the line.

I have hung a lot of sheets - the lipstick works best for me.

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

So, when you use the rotozip to follow the inside of the box, how does the drywall fir over the outside of the box? Seems I am missing something.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

I have also used the Handy Mark and I loved it. I have only used it on two outlets, but it was a perfect fit and easy to use. It was cheap or I wouldn't have bought it! I think I got mine at harbor freight.

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Garasaki
                  • Sep 2006

I've had the best luck with lipstick. It seems to be the only way I can get it really accurate.

I hired guys to do a lot of the hanging on my basement and they used a rotozip. I'm sure it was fast, but it was extremely messy, required a lot of "repair" (which they didn't do well), and they covered several boxes or canlights and forgot to rotozip them. I had to go back and say "there's a box here, and a light here, etc". Probably would help to have hired competent hangers eh?
                  -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                  -Henry Blake

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Conway, SC.
                    • BT3000

Lipstick

[QUOTE=Garasaki;397027]I've had the best luck with lipstick. It seems to be the only way I can get it really accurate.

The only time I use lipstick is when I am trying to locate where to drill the hole for a new deadbolt. It makes a nice circle on the jamb as a guide. Some clients look at me in an odd sort of way, when I pull the lipstick out of my tool bucket pocket though.

Glenn

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by gerti
                      So, when you use the rotozip to follow the inside of the box, how does the drywall fir over the outside of the box? Seems I am missing something.
                      I've not tried it, but I'm guessing the drywall is frayed enough from the rotozip trim that it will force over the outside of the box. Either that or they'll bevel it a bit on the backside with a rasp or keyhole saw.
                      - Chris.

Comment

Working...