• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Shop projects, if I get time.

I haven't been in the shop at all this year, work and life getting in the way.
    So I am trying to find a couple of little projects to do to relax. I have a couple of socket chisels I was sent some time back and was wondering if anyone used an old broom handle for chisel handles (no lathe and it is handy)?

Also, been looking at knife blocks and seen what has been posted here. I am wondering if any of you built them, then changed knives and they didn't work? I am building up a set of knives, some based on on America's test kitchen and some based on access (restaurant supply houses) and know sometimes preferences change.
    Thinking about several blocks I have seen and doing a version where the knives fit into bamboo skewers, so you can change as needed.

thanks (and off to do work errands ).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

don't have to settle for a used broom handle unless it's "character" appeals to you. They sell wooden dowels and rods in all kinds of diameters up to 2" in the hardware stores. Starting as small as 1/8" or so.

As for a knife holder block... many are sold as part of a set of knives and have no expansion. If you are collecting knives, you might want to consider expandability...
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-29-2014, 06:24 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I was going to use the handle, just from having a piece of one. I made the mistake of having them in with my Tormek stuff, that dad wanted to borrow some of and he made a couple of handles. (he was planning on building first a pedal sharpener, then a powered one, with the old Tormek stone, when I sent him some Grizzly info on costs verses him building it and he bought the Grizzly).

The expandability was why I was looking at the blocks with skewers. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQTh_3LWbk

I figure I could use the box for something else, if I don't want it to stand at an angle. (or make the angle part removable)
      Was hoping to get some time off but several injured employee's and the boss goes back in for surgery next month and I have no clue as to recovery time. All I seem to want to do at home is rest, now.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Do you have a source for the skewers? I thought about doing this, too, for some nice steak knives but it would required a good number of skewers.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Dollar type stores, Amazon (sells in bulk), a lot of restaurant supply houses (I have access to several of those from helping out a friends restaurant with equipment and such).

Comment

Working...