• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wildwillis
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Craftsman 21829

Good stuff. I'm sure I can find this if I search a little (been doing plenty of that lately), but what's the range of adjustment with the Craftsman/Ryobi Micropositioner?

Last night I was reading a bunch of things and came across the "Original Incra Jig." That's definitely an intriguing alternative for $55 on Amazon. It looks like you could mount it on a square of plywood and easily attach it to the fence with a few t-nuts. I like the idea that I could utilize it with the router, drill press, bandsaw (if I had one), etc. I'd seen Incra's 'big boy' fence system before and thought it'd be amazing, but I wasn't aware that they had a cheaper option.

I did get a little upset as I was reading about all these options though when I saw the post below from 2 years ago. I'm really disappointed that Incra discontinued this Ultra Lite Positioner model. I would have been all over that thing for $129. I probably spent the next half hour searching for one but it doesn't appear to be available anywhere...

The 12.5" travel Incra ultra lite fence system and positioner is on sale for $129 description http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Ultra_Lite_Fence_System_p/ultralitesys.htm INCRA Ultra Lite System Includes: 12.5"-range Ultra Lite positioner w/ Micro Adjust 22" Extruded Aluminum Fence INCRA Pro Right Angle

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
      The "precission" is in the threads. (your not making your own bolt)
      Reversing it, is probably the simpler way to "pull" the fence, but I seem to remember someone here, or on another forum (with a homemade one) that had a magnet glued on the end of the bolt and the fence. If you find either number works and order it, please post back here.
      I made one that had a magnet on it and it worked well. However, the rails must be clean, the fence front and back must slide without catches and sliding must be smooth.

I had mine when I was overseas and it is somewhere still boxed up from my move. I also have the Ryobi one that was given to me. I use it on occasion, when I can find which drawer it is in.

Like Wildwillis, I need my precision to be in my tools. I am not good at hand made adjustments but I do have good eyes and can see fine differences.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Wildwillis
        Good stuff. I'm sure I can find this if I search a little (been doing plenty of that lately), but what's the range of adjustment with the Craftsman/Ryobi Micropositioner?
        I don't have it right in front of me but just guessing that from one extreme to the other it would be about 2 inches. Normally you set the fence close (within a quarter of an inch or so), lock down the micropositioner, then dial it in as needed, so you don't need anywhere near that much.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Tim,
          try this place

"Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Wildwillis
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2013
            • Syracuse, NY
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by tfischer
            I don't have it right in front of me but just guessing that from one extreme to the other it would be about 2 inches. Normally you set the fence close (within a quarter of an inch or so), lock down the micropositioner, then dial it in as needed, so you don't need anywhere near that much.
            Thanks a lot. That's about what I was thinking.

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
            And thanks for the suggestion. I got two results, but I'm thinking they're parts that go into the positioner and not the entire thing. Unfortunately there are no pictures or descriptions and both parts are only $1.95:

Ryobi-Ridgid Tools Part 972000185
            OM4060305 RAPID SET OMBT3 TRIL

Ryobi-Ridgid Tools Part 972000262
            OM4060305 MICRO-SET OMBT3

Comment

• Wildwillis
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2013
              • Syracuse, NY
              • Craftsman 21829

I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help, suggestions, etc. I found an Incra Ultra Light on Craigslist for $50. It wasn't particularly close to me, but a friend of mine was nice enough to go and pick it up for me and I'll have it today.

I'm excited about it - it should give me a lot more options than just the Ryobi/Craftsman positioner. I'll post some pictures once I get it set up decently. I've got some extension rails that should be arriving any day. I'm probably going to cut them down (in half most likely) and then figure out how long of an extension table I want to add to between the rails.

I'm hoping to set the positioner up so I can (relatively) easily use it with both the saw and the router. Not sure yet if I'll just attach it to a board that I can just clamp wherever I want to use it or try to come up with a slicker solution that attaches to the rail. Time for my research!

Thanks again!
              Tim

Comment

Working...