• Show
Clear All
  • nkawtg
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2014
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Delta 36-725

New BT3100 owner

Hi, I just picked up a BT3100 this week and I'm interested in attaching a router to the router table.
    My questions are:
    What is a good all around router to use for this system?
    What accessories if any do I need to purchase?

The saw looks fine mechanically, though it's pretty dirty.
    What do you all recommend I use to clean the saw and accessory parts?

Thanks all
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Most any router can be mounted. Back when the saw was in production there was an accessory kit you would buy which had a router mounting plate, a 2-piece fence, and a clamp that helped stabilize the accessory table.

The mounting plate had several different hole patterns for Ryobi routers of that day, and mated up with the 4 screw holes in the accessory table. I used to use it with a matching Ryobi router, but when that died I picked up a Ridgid which didn't have the right hole pattern, so I simply drilled and countersunk proper holes into the mounting plate that did work. You could certainly fabricate your own mounting plate if you can find a piece of aluminum or something else sturdy but thin.

The included fence and guard were inaccurate and worthless. I built my own fence based on some plans, that clamps to the main rip fence. I can post pics here if anyone's interested.

You're supposed to use the clamp to keep the table from shifting, but I've never had that problem and rarely use it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you use the rip fence for a router fence, you need the extra clamp to secure the back of the aux table to the back rail or the table will move.

the BT3 faq has an extensive discussion of routers with the BT3 (see my sig line below).
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        If you use the rip fence for a router fence, you need the extra clamp to secure the back of the aux table to the back rail or the table will move.
        That's what I was talking about... I've rarely used the clamp and the table never moves for me.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Not having the mounting plate and in a hurry I drilled the table for my router. Counter sunk the holes and use a piece of gasket material between the router base and the table underside. Must be 4 or 5 years without a problem. You really have to make sure the router is centered in the big hole when drilling your new mounting holes or those little plastic insert things won't center on the router bit.

Bill
          frugality is a way of life not a fault

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
            those little plastic insert things won't center on the router bit.
            Ah I forgot to mention those. Yeah, they came with the accessory kit too. And you'll want them, or some replacement for them

Comment

Working...